Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

I was curious what ol Will Wright was up to these days and he is apparently making a NFT/Blockchain game. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
It actually started as an AI game, then became a blockchain game, and now is probably going to try to revert back to AI. Perfect libertarian utopia for him to play in.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

No CS2 news today, but fascinating SC4 news: they found a way to make non-default 3d camera angles work.

https://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/36188-3d-camera-dll-for-simcity-4/

https://community.simtropolis.com/forums/topic/763087-show-us-your-camera-angles/

SC3k style:

GTA style:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

piratepilates posted:

No CS2 news today, but fascinating SC4 news: they found a way to make non-default 3d camera angles work.

https://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/36188-3d-camera-dll-for-simcity-4/

https://community.simtropolis.com/forums/topic/763087-show-us-your-camera-angles/

SC3k style:

GTA style:

:staredog:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
HOLY poo poo

e: awwwww hell you got me. 4/1. :doh:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah that's cool as hell

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Eric the Mauve posted:

HOLY poo poo

e: awwwww hell you got me. 4/1. :doh:

Despite being released today of all days, it appears to be real. The person on discord telling me about it seemed sincere about it being real, there's multiple screenshots, the file downloads to be a real dll with a real extensive and non-funny readme.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm dubious given the date but the game is a full 3D engine with a locked camera, so I guess it could be possible??

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It's a crypto miner

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm dubious given the date but the game is a full 3D engine with a locked camera, so I guess it could be possible??

it's 100% real

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 2, 2024

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Dang.

Also that screenshot makes me feel better about how Skylines handles hills lmao.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

yeah even the annoying ways cs1 handled hills was nothing compared to the cliffs of sc4

though if we are breaking camera angles maybe this too can be resolved

or the holy grail of more city sections

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

or the holy grail of more city sections

What do you mean by that? You can make the region as big as you want, though when you get over 25x25 large tiles it starts to choke. A city larger than large would be cool but I'm not sure SC4 could handle that given the hard limit you have on resource use. Both of those feel like things you'd need to have a 64 bit OpenSC4 to do which, not likely.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I was always under the impression that SC4's 3D models cheated a lot with the assumption that they'd always be seen from one of four angles and a fixed azimuth.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

MikeJF posted:

I was always under the impression that SC4's 3D models cheated a lot with the assumption that they'd always be seen from one of four angles and a fixed azimuth.

Almost every model in the game cheats. The locked angle is a purposeful choice to allow them that art and graphic design refuge to color outside the lines.

That mod is cool as heck but it does bring out a lot of unsightly things out of the game.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Oh yeah. The buildings look real weird in the pics from more extreme angles.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Grand Fromage posted:

What do you mean by that? You can make the region as big as you want, though when you get over 25x25 large tiles it starts to choke. A city larger than large would be cool but I'm not sure SC4 could handle that given the hard limit you have on resource use. Both of those feel like things you'd need to have a 64 bit OpenSC4 to do which, not likely.

Are there ways to get regions besides the one the game ships with?

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

Are there ways to get regions besides the one the game ships with?

you can get heightmaps from places like simtropolis. they usually come with a config.bmp which has colored pixels corresponding to the size of each city tile

you make a new folder in your Documents/SimCity 4/Regions folder with the name of the new region and drop the config.bmp in there

then you launch the game, open the region (which will have the tile config specified by config.bmp but no terrain), then press ctrl-alt-shift-r (or some combination of those keys) in the region view which brings up the jankiest looking open dialog box

then you navigate to the heightmap jpg you downloaded and it iterates through every city in the region and terraforms them to fit the heightmap you downloaded

it's really hacky and not-documented and you might need to do some terraforming (like height adjustments) after the fact but it's the closest thing I know

edit: should use SC4Mapper instead if you're running the game on Windows https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rk1p7xBZs4g

corona familiar fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Apr 2, 2024

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

piratepilates posted:

This feels like I’m seeing something I’m not supposed to be seeing and I feel guilty for looking at it

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
That camera mod is loving wild.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

yeah i think i really meant more like a 64 bit sc4. it's been a while!

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

For the record I do not have a foot fetish.

Grand Fromage posted:

Dang.

Also that screenshot makes me feel better about how Skylines handles hills lmao.

Having buildings have retaining walls next to roads CS would be pretty good though.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The retaining wall system in 2 able to work with buildings or lots instead of just roads would be really interesting.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

bltzn posted:

Having buildings have retaining walls next to roads CS would be pretty good though.

you can force the roads to have retaining walls using this mod: https://mods.paradoxplaza.com/mods/76971/Windows

have to do it manually though, they really should have just made a "is the road and lot different in height by more than x? then make retaining wall on the road" system to resolve a lot of the issues.

edit: you may not like it but this is the peak highway form:

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 2, 2024

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Find it! just got released for CS2.

Another few weeks and it might be worth having a go.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Watching CPP's overview of major mods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jftSLEyJxIc

Looks great. I think once they have custom assets working I'm back in.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

They're playtesting this game, if you want to fly yourself to Sweden for 1.5 hours of playtime and get whatever merch is lying around the office.

https://discord.com/channels/263634513861541888/882213942313746442/1229395666078535700

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

piratepilates posted:

They're playtesting this game, if you want to fly yourself to Sweden for 1.5 hours of playtime and get whatever merch is lying around the office.

https://discord.com/channels/263634513861541888/882213942313746442/1229395666078535700

Why are they paying locals who dont even know the game to play test when there is literally a ravening horde of CS fans who will be more than happy to test the game to exhaustion? Also how much are you gonna test in 1.5 hours.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Playtesting with noobs who don't know the game is an important step in ensuring usability.
It's playtesting, not QA. The objective isn't to test things to exhaustion.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It's probably a good idea to not having a raving horde of CS fans who all have their own perfect vision of CS2 based on what mods they liked for CS1 to be your exclusive play testers.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Popete posted:

It's probably a good idea to not having a raving horde of CS fans who all have their own perfect vision of CS2 based on what mods they liked for CS1 to be your exclusive play testers.

I guess, but then we end up with what we've got.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Skylines has to be a total nightmare to work on in the sense of pleasing both camps. I know people who are more than happy with a really simple city painter, don’t want to screw with mods and that (at least out of the gate,) and they still put a ton of time into the game.

Meanwhile I’m sitting here dreaming of like, “what if the game had a mod where you could build realistic weirs to handle flood control and it’s so silly you can build rail grades beyond like 3%.”

I think both groups are important for the general community of the game but I would hate to try and thread the needle, especially since the insane group of 2000 hour players have very specific desires and probably a good half of them would rather the casuals go away forever for fear they’re spoiling the development effort toward their perfect sandcastle.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Then lil ol me, in the camp who has like 100+ asset/mod subscriptions, absolutely 0 city painting skills, but anxiously waiting for a game that goes back to the isometric SC4 graphics, that way the cities look vaguely realistic without me having to hand place fence pieces.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

instead it looks realistic when you place NAM puzzle pieces

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

buglord posted:

Then lil ol me, in the camp who has like 100+ asset/mod subscriptions, absolutely 0 city painting skills, but anxiously waiting for a game that goes back to the isometric SC4 graphics, that way the cities look vaguely realistic without me having to hand place fence pieces.

It always surprised me that they didn't include an isometric camera mode in Skylines. It's relatively easy, super nostalgic, and it always looked cool in mods that did it.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Welp, looks like everyone who bought the beach dlc will be getting a refund, and those who got the ultimate edition package will get some free asset packs and radio stations to compensate.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Welp, looks like everyone who bought the beach dlc will be getting a refund, and those who got the ultimate edition package will get some free asset packs and radio stations to compensate.

yes! exciting news to wake up to! someone tweeted them on twitter about word of the weeks and they said they were taking a break, then next thing you know they're actually saying they hosed up with this game and are making big moves:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/the-way-forward-an-update-from-the-team-behind-cities-skylines.1665858/

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/faq-the-way-forward.1663862/

quote:

We are committed to repaying that loyalty, and therefore, we will compensate Ultimate Edition holders by adding 3 Creator Packs and 3 Radio Stations which, together, sum up to a value of USD 39.99. This solution hopefully ensures that you, regardless of purchase method, feel you receive fair compensation.

and they're actually going to start listening to players for once (wait, what?):

quote:

To make sure we focus on the right things, we’re putting together an advisory meeting, where a small group of player representatives, together with Colossal Order and Paradox Interactive, will discuss the development plan for this year. The people in this group are chosen for the size of their following within the community to represent as many people as possible. The teams from Colossal Order and Paradox Interactive will provide them with full transparency and answer any questions and critiques voiced. Our hope is that together with you, our community, we can make sure that we do not repeat the same mistakes we have made in the past and bring this game into a bright future.

also some crazy bastards figured out making a mod to import assets:

https://mods.paradoxplaza.com/mods/78903/Windows

https://mods.paradoxplaza.com/mods/78908/Windows

I wouldn't trust that on a save game you want to play for the long haul, but hell that's a fun thing to try.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
14 lanes? That's some proper LA sicko poo poo

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The "another lane bro" mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
While this is nice, it’s too little, too late, I don’t see how this is going to make a difference at this point. The game seems like it needed another year or more in the oven.