Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I drop by this thread once in a while to see if I should buy it and hooo boy I guess the answer is still a no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Count Roland posted:

I drop by this thread once in a while to see if I should buy it and hooo boy I guess the answer is still a no

I'll admit the game is better now with mod support added, but it's still probably awhiles away from being good. Severe lack of assets and a lot of the base game simulation does not work.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lord Packinham posted:

While this is nice, it’s too little, too late, I don’t see how this is going to make a difference at this point. The game seems like it needed another year or more in the oven.

It does need a year in the oven. These apologies are to buy them that year without alienating their base beyond the point of return.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I think as long as they actually fix things and get asset importing up and running, it'll be fine. This is a game people were planning to play for a decade anyway, a year of trouble at first will be forgotten. Also uh, what else are you going to do? It's literally the only game in town if you want to play something new.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Count Roland posted:

From the outside looking in, the base game seems like it was intended to be supplemented heavily with asset and code mods from the rabid citygame community, then they released it probably a year before they could implement any of that. Personally I figure I may pick it up in a couple years if they keep the current development pace.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Adding mods seems to have already bought back a lot of goodwill, though admittedly I don't go diving in the muck much so my read could be off.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

have they added bicycles yet

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Complications posted:

From the outside looking in, the base game seems like it was intended to be supplemented heavily with asset and code mods from the rabid citygame community, then they released it probably a year before they could implement any of that. Personally I figure I may pick it up in a couple years if they keep the current development pace.

Same. Looking forward to finally getting to benefit from a nice cheap paradox game+DLC bundle instead of buying the game at launch and then wishing I'd waited

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Welp, looks like everyone who bought the beach dlc will be getting a refund, and those who got the ultimate edition package will get some free asset packs and radio stations to compensate.

Why does every strategy or sim game these days come with an apology lmao

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Lord Packinham posted:

While this is nice, it’s too little, too late, I don’t see how this is going to make a difference at this point. The game seems like it needed another year or more in the oven.

It's been out for 6 months. Honestly, another 6 months down the line it might be in a state where they could've released it.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Honestly for me the mods did get it a lot of the way there. Still desperately needs assets but I can at least get past the few Things Killing Me Right Now when I try to design slightly weird networks.

I do think they’ll get there. They started as bad as they maybe could possibly have, but they’re slowly winning me back at least. That said if you don’t own it already, definitely still wait.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I'm just hoping they hold out long enough to get the asset editor out the door. Even if they shut the studios down and cancel the game, modders can probably do the rest of the work from there.

I mean look at how much random crap modders have been able to throw together already, fixing bugs, overhauling the simulation code, throwing together kitbashed assets from existing props.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

I think as long as they actually fix things and get asset importing up and running, it'll be fine. This is a game people were planning to play for a decade anyway, a year of trouble at first will be forgotten. Also uh, what else are you going to do? It's literally the only game in town if you want to play something new.

I've been playing Factorio, a game that started out good in early access and was slowly but steadily improved upon until 1.0. This year there is a free 2.0 version coming out, with a large number of qol improvements, along with a paid expansion pack with many more features. All this stuff is thoroughly documented in a weekly blog. It really seems like the devs have thought of everything.

So I guess I'll keep playing that.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Part of the community has already responded: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZOuQWRNUkM :toot:

Looks like they pulled the beachfront dlc from the steam store. And that's after it hit the very top of the chart. It achieved the treasured #1 most disliked item on the steam store. :woop:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

skooma512 posted:

Why does every strategy or sim game these days come with an apology lmao

investors mostly

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
How the gently caress to you sell a beachfront DLC without loving beaches

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Please don't gently caress on the beaches.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Antigravitas posted:

They meant beechfront, you can plant a lot of beech trees with all these performance improvements

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Antigravitas posted:

I was gonna say 'very carefully'', but that doesn't seem to be the case

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Fishstick posted:

They meant beechfront, you can plant a lot of beech trees with all these performance improvements

lol

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
waiting for the mod that allows me to turn off water/electricity so i stop having to build buildings that take up the dumbest loving amounts of space and then having to connect them to a network where highways don't have any of the piping like other roads do. i hate it so much. let me put down a 1x1 unit that produces infinite water and electricity and then i'll be happy

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

There's a fun new issue where if you had the standard edition of the game (doesn't come with beechfront properties) and bought beechfront properties, then CO's triggered refund of the DLC also appears to remove it from your account, and any buildings or trees placed in your save games show up as grey boxes because it thinks you don't have the DLC anymore.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
What is the state of the simulation right now? That is what I am more interested in. When I left the game, cargo wasn't being imported or exported properly, citizens were buying goods at industrial plants, people were taking trains out of city to do shopping rather than visit local businesses, garbage was somehow being vacuumed out of the city if you don't provide landfills, etc etc.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

piratepilates posted:

There's a fun new issue where if you had the standard edition of the game (doesn't come with beechfront properties) and bought beechfront properties, then CO's triggered refund of the DLC also appears to remove it from your account, and any buildings or trees placed in your save games show up as grey boxes because it thinks you don't have the DLC anymore.

LOL oh my god these dumb bastards can't even issue a refund correctly

Giving due credit that is the sort of statement quite accurate few people were saying was needed, myself included, so it'd be a bit lovely of me to now turn around and reject it out of hand. But that was before Beachfront dropped and became *checks notes* the single lowest rated item out of the tens of thousands of items on Steam, so they've only got a higher mountain to climb now. I really hope they can get it together and in fairness the patching they've done so far has been pretty good, but boy howdy have they bungled this.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

MikeC posted:

What is the state of the simulation right now? That is what I am more interested in. When I left the game, cargo wasn't being imported or exported properly, citizens were buying goods at industrial plants, people were taking trains out of city to do shopping rather than visit local businesses, garbage was somehow being vacuumed out of the city if you don't provide landfills, etc etc.

I think cargo is working, things seem to be mostly working -- as in, won't actively destroy your city.

I think there's still some issue with postal sorting facilities, but honestly who knows anymore.

It's playable, but the simulation isn't like, in a good state otherwise, it's just not as buggy as before.

I'd recommend looking in to Infixo's mods, he has a bunch of bug fixes and simulation improvements that seem better than the base game.

Breaking Glass
Dec 15, 2021

Cargo is finally fixed, but it seems like they got rid of trains despawning as part of it. So you may have a huge city like mine where your rail network grinds to a halt from design flaws of me trying to work around cargo being broken before.

Cool stuff.

I'll probably start a new city from scratch after these fixes and work it out.

My other pet peeve is fixed too, where some categories would wildly swing to millions of positive or negative taxes, then have the inverse effect to whatever you set their taxes to. I had to set most things to 0% to fix that particular nightmare.

I still have fun playing the game, but can't recommend it yet, unless you want to tinker with mods for a couple hours first, or just install everything City Planner Plays recommends.

The fact that making a coherent grid of zones is still so fussy is really kind of where I get depressed about the state of the game. It's wild that some basics are just not there. Sure some mods make it a little less painful, but yeesh. Zoning is fundamental.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Breaking Glass posted:

My other pet peeve is fixed too, where some categories would wildly swing to millions of positive or negative taxes, then have the inverse effect to whatever you set their taxes to. I had to set most things to 0% to fix that particular nightmare.

I remember some modder fixing that like a few days before CO released the patch that "fixed" this. They found that it was something about a NaN (not a number) value being casted to an int, and overflowing, giving you massive amounts of money, or giving you negative massive amounts of money.

They were very dismayed to see that instead of actually fixing the root issue (like the modder had), that some dev at CO, to fix it, did something like slapping an `abs(...)` call on the overflowing number, so instead of preventing the NaN from happening and making the logic around that make sense, they just capped the value when it was too low.

There's a few things like that -- like the signature buildings fix (https://github.com/Infixo/CS2-SignatureFix) or the person who made the water in the game look better just by changing the scale of the default Unity water shader (which is what the game uses), or people with knowledge of Unity releasing mods that make the game look better just by configuring Unity's default renderer -- where you wonder what they're doing over there, some of these fixes seem like very small things you could throw in the game with little risk and make it better, but they....don't.

I mean heck look at the code for the signature buildings fix, the guy just adds like 2 if statements and fixes a bug that has been around since....release?

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

The graphical issues are so strange to me. It feels like they just don’t have the expertise on staff to make the “obvious” (to people who know what they’re doing) changes, or to identify major problem areas like absurdly high-res props. Do they not have a technical artist to take care of these things?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Reminds me of how FPS Booster in CS1 just fixed a bug where the UI was being constantly rerendered like thousands of times a second and making it stop that doubles the FPS.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

blastron posted:

The graphical issues are so strange to me. It feels like they just don’t have the expertise on staff to make the “obvious” (to people who know what they’re doing) changes, or to identify major problem areas like absurdly high-res props. Do they not have a technical artist to take care of these things?

They supposedly are a team of 30 something. If you remove the management, hr, marketing etc your not left with many actual developers.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Reminds me of how FPS Booster in CS1 just fixed a bug where the UI was being constantly rerendered like thousands of times a second and making it stop that doubles the FPS.

All they have to do sometimes is copy an existing mod and get instant benefits. I really don't know why they don't, the developers just seem completely cut off from the people that play the game at times.

Like how before launch, the content creators playing the pre-launch beta all made suggestions to include a contour overlay in the game. How the hell do you play this game and not see how important that is, especially with the hilly rear end default maps they made. Sometimes when I play this game I get the feeling the devs never play it, because so many parts feel so awkward immediately.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
There is ample evidence that CO is not actually a very good game development studio, they just happened to be right place right time right idea on the heels of the SimShitty disaster.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

High Rise City is more promising than CS2, tbh.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

MikeC posted:

With some mods you can fix a handful of sim things and I haven’t played enough to really get a vibe for if poo poo is hosed - since my current save is still going through milestones and those still flush you with cash.

Honestly though I’d bet most of those things are still happening. I think it’ll be awhile before we get anything but a city painter, if we ever get that. I really bought into it having more of a simulation. While I’m happy to have all of the painter tools and want them, I want a game behind it and I’m not sure what’ll get it there.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

did they ever unfuck employment? cims just not commuting to work and the vanilla low density residential buildings were what really made me lose my mind before. well, that and the horrible aliasing and performance and annoying radio ads and ugly rear end cim models and the incoherent farm layouts and

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

I love that loving bug where you start playing the game then after 10 minutes you realize the mods just didn't load for whatever reason and there's no reason and you have to start it again and hope the mods actually load but you don't know what to do if they don't

this game drives me insane I hate it, it's almost something interesting and fun and then it narrowly swerves away in to being a loving pain in the rear end.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I thought I'd give it another try but I saw CPP wrestling with the game even with a good number of fixer mods and decided not to bother again.

I think getting a few weeks of mod updates will help but maaaan the game is so rough looking.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

piratepilates posted:

I love that loving bug where you start playing the game then after 10 minutes you realize the mods just didn't load for whatever reason and there's no reason and you have to start it again and hope the mods actually load but you don't know what to do if they don't

this game drives me insane I hate it, it's almost something interesting and fun and then it narrowly swerves away in to being a loving pain in the rear end.

This is my experience but I’m enough of an idiot to fall on the side of “it’s almost good!”

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

There is ample evidence that CO is not actually a very good game development studio, they just happened to be right place right time right idea on the heels of the SimShitty disaster.

dragonshardz posted:

High Rise City is more promising than CS2, tbh.

I know it's not fair to compare the game or the devs to the likes of Factorio or Manor Lords or CoI or Songs of Syx or other games that are exceptional outliers in their genres, but christ it's hard not to.

Every post the Factorio people have made just makes me more impressed in their technical ability, their writing ability, how deeply they understand the core gameplay of the game they're making. Songs of Syx is made by one person and models a whole hunter-gatherer to industrialized multi-cultural society well.

Meanwhile CO can't even manage to do (involuntary) refunds without breaking peoples games, every post they make is along the lines of "we ran in to an issue with asset importing and after 6+ months we still don't know how to fix it". Their integrated mods browser has been outdone by the one guy making Skyve in his free time. Every post they write makes me think they are not only worse at their jobs than before, but that they don't really understand how cities work and did little research before making their second city building game after 9 years.

The only core gameplay in this game is building roads and zoning lots, and still the road tools in this game make highways extremely lumpy unless you put insane amounts of work in to making things line up. Why are there 2 lane, 3 lane, and 4 lane single-piece highways, but not 6 lanes? You have to make the jump from 2 lane to having separate one-direction highway pieces -- which itself is a pain in the rear end to make look decent -- if you want to have dedicated shoulders for on-ramps and off-ramps.

15 years and they still can't throw in hotkeys for road building tools, I just don't get it.

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/jaketropolis/status/1782098839865868475?t=PKMZaMpvx3UEEMHlCWqrRA&s=19