Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

zedprime posted:

Cross posting since a traffic model discussion is super relevant for page 1.

The most basic traffic conceit is at first glance kind of limiting but arguably realistic: cars get in the lane they need for the next intersection after the previous intersection. This leads to all the reactionary screenshots of 6 lane one way roads with miles of traffic backup because there is only 1 way to go at the end of that road. That basic conceit leads to needing to create some realistic traffic networks. It is neither Sim City 13 at release (traffic backed up because the AI didn't actually know how to turn in different directions), and importantly not the model from SimCity 4 where bigger roads solved everything by just providing a literal bucket for traffic to sit in out of the way.

The actual issues where the game stands to improve are getting into slightly gamey stuff you may never actually get into if you build your networks otherwise realistically. Basically, merged intersections are far superior to lighted intersections due to a Google car sort prescience that allows anarchy merges to be incredibly efficient. There's some cool opportunities for the devs to address this with slowing down the insane merges and making lighted intersections faster, either with an AI tweak or lighted intersection design tools since a lot of the lighted intersection issues are with cars doing crazy turning stuff but not wanting to do it unless the intersection is completely deserted.

The clean fix for the lane issue would be to have agents only switch to their "optimal" lane within X distance of their desired intersection and encourage non public transit ai to scatter between lanes between those distance checks. I wonder how computationally expensive that would be, because the alternatives are wierd game only intersections and road splits as a workaround. Not that its an absolutely massive deal but I hope its on the list. Also enforced minimum spacing between city buses on a line would go a long way to cleaning up weird traffic jams on otherwise open roads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

jneer posted:

I'm confused - I'm seeing SimCity screenshots but people are telling me it's good :psyduck:

I love that they took the only nice part about SimCity, the graphics and UI and ripped them off wholesale while laying the entire thing on top of an engine and agent system that is pretty much the best agent simulation I have ever seen. There are definitely oddities in traffic, and ambulances driving across the city to respond to an emergency right next to another hospital, etc, but on the whole its so drat solid. Everything the Maxis team fuxed up with a ton more funding and a much more massive team CO got right in C:S, its the best city sim you could buy at this point, the classic SimCities included.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Beefeater1980 posted:

This is mesmerising. But what's that one red doughnut car doing on the left central road (everything else goes left; it goes on and up)?

I think you will find that doughnut trucks employ their own unique AI that hinges essentially on being mobile roadblocks in industrial zones. I have a suspicion that they are actually guerrilla terrorists or part of some sort of frosted Illuminati bent on inconveniencing semi trucks.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Higher / better would make sense in C:S too since the lower you are the greater your chances of being flooded in poo water by a badly thought out drat placement or fluctuating river. So long as "higher" was measured from a gradient from the lowest average tile on your overall map rather than having an all raised tile map be a richie rich enclave otherwise its just exploitable design.

e:

Alkydere posted:

I love seeing all the pictures in this thread of people reinventing the wheel when it comes to highways. Overpasses and frontage roads exist for a reason!

Everything works fine when you have a low density zone like the one pictured there. Its when you have highway intersections in the center of high density commercial residential downtown that links to industrial areas far from the edges of the map that simple frontage roads are insufficient. Thats where crazy rear end roundabout into roundabout type setups come into play.

Spaceman Future! fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 16, 2015

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

HardDisk posted:

It's dam, goddamnit :argh:

Not when it floods :v:

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Chewbot posted:

I suspect it would be a bit anticlimactic because the cars will never use anything but the outermost lane even if traffic is backed up for miles.

if you raise the inner ring, reverse the one way traffic to run the other direction, connect it to the lower circle with onramps and have 4 roads lead out of it offset to the roads below it you will end up with a mesmerizing multi tier hypnosis roundabout.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

euphronius posted:

Hopefully once things have slowed down we can get a goon approved super pack of addons together.

I think this is just about as slow as the rate of mods will be for about the next year. This game is is a modding tinderbox, its a complete sandbox with a solid simulation core that rewards meticulous attention to detail, is under $30 and was built with community support in mind. Plus the backpressure of not having a really expansive really good city sim for a while, yeah, this is gonna be one of those "how did I end up with 100 add ons plus lots?! Well theyre all important anyway" games for a long while.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Gyshall posted:

S

So basically a fix for that bug?

thats a pretty crippling "fix". Im not sure I completely understand what is going on, so tourists no longer shop while they are visiting, dont you still have demand from local residents? Is the issue just that commercial grows *less* and not that it completely stalls? I haven't seen any real reduction in commercial of my city of 80k and I have a ton of parks, just trying to figure out what is killing what for the people having trouble.

edit: maybe its not so bad? If the parks arent on the demand table, but people are still using them, how does that fix anything if time is still being spent in the parks rather than in the shops? I must be completely misunderstanding the issue here.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

They all look like bugs to me, crawling in and out of their metro holes.

They are bugs SynthOrange, they are.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Hadlock posted:

So after it's out been a week and the new-toy shine starts to wear off, is this still worth :20bux::10bux: ?

what the hell is wrong with you why have you not bought this already is your hand broken just get it man

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Hey guys Im supposed to be making the game look like SC4 right?

aaaand several hardware generations later.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

suddenlyissoon posted:

All these mods and still not a real baseball stadium.

*field

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Damnit ZenVulgarity I thought I told you to shave those sideburns!! :argh:

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Hey guys did you install bordercities you should install bordercities just sayin

Cell shaded cities are the best cities.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

ShootaBoy posted:

So I started a new town to try and not have a hosed road system for once, but randomly, once I'm in the neighborhood of a few thousand cims, my income just starts dropping really rapidly, I'm talking making 1,000ish down to sub 500 in a few minutes. This is happening when I'm not even touching anything at all. Anyone else have this happen?

Cims are not immortal, you prolly just had a bunch die from old age. Had the game on fast forward?

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Even the dogs ride the bus.

Working as intended.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/13/seattle-dog-rides-bus-public-transit-park-black-lab_n_6463364.html

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Sterf posted:

When I was in Moscow I saw lots of stray dogs in the metrostations and on the metro, so yeah, working as intended.

Metro Dogs

Anyway, I can't seem to drain a lake. I dammed a side of it but somehow that created a vortex inside it constantly spilling over. And when I delete the dam, this happens:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410901947

Is there some trick to it?

You managed to turn the entire lake into a flushing toilet, playing like a goon.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

My traffic has gotten increasingly worse, and I'm pretty much out of space to build now. The highway is severely congested in many places, but there just aren't any convenient places to branch it off anymore...

What does your subway map look like?

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Terrible! You can't really see it on the overhead view though, but it's basically got fairly straight connections and one metro station in each district.

With only one station in each area its probably your best bet to ease congestion then. The nice thing about the metro is that unlike the bus system it doesn't trade road traffic for road traffic. Busses see more use in my experience but a bus is still gonna hit those congestion zones. Expand your metro significantly and it should really ease the burden on your highways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

ZombieLenin posted:

Thanks guys! One more question, is there a way to delete bus lines without having to deleting the stops?

In addition to the other answers, open up the route editor, right click the stops. Viola!