Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Mr. Wynand posted:

Is there really no way to "peel off" a 2-lane avenue into two separate 1 way roads without an intersection? Or even just merge a one way into just one lane of the 2-way without a stupid intersection? It's nice that the game lets you make overpasses but only being able to merge back with an intersection defeats the point.

Yeah that's about the only thing seriously missing from the roads for me. The solution? HORRIBLE ROUNDABOUTS EVERYWHERE.

It's clogging up! Maybe there's too many entrances?

Urrrrtghh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What, I like plopping a bouncy castle in an industrial area! :downs:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Chewbot posted:

This man is a genius. And yeah this poo poo is time-consuming, I used to model environments, terrain and make lookup tables for SW:tOR and I put in about 25 hours on the Skylines mods I put up on the first page. Good for him making the best of a layoff, I'm gonna give him money.

quote:

THE ASKING COST:
I'm going to be straight with all of you. I don't intend on getting "Notch" rich off of any of this. All I want to do is be able to afford my coffee, buy my girlfriend a dinner, and pay all of my student loans off. Speaking of loans, as I speak to you today, one day before the biggest Pi day in our lifetime (3/13/2015), I HAVE OVER $80,000 LEFT IN STUDENT LOANS TO PAY OFF. Every single dollar I make could go towards paying off those loans. While I realize that my student loans are my responsibility, I can assure you that my goal right now is to get them paid.

Lol that's not a genius tho :v:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Noyemi K posted:

I used to do 3D stuff in blender but it was usually on the cartoony side. Is it easy to get blender set up to export models for this game? I'd like to make custom props and buildings at some point.

Yeah. I was just testing it out myself. A 1x1x1 cube imports into game real tiny, but scale it up by 400X and it fills a 1 tile square perfectly. Also remember the object's transformation is not applied, so check that they're all zero and dont transform in object mode. Apply all the transformations inside edit mode.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nah it's something about the way Skylines imports stuff, seems to be unit-agnostic. Anyway, I export it all as fbx, and the supported maps are diffuse, normal, spec, alpha and luminance. Once you do that, you can import objects as props, then make a building using the prop.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'd hesitate recommending Blender to a newbie. I've no problem using it because I've used various 3d programs over the years and it's all the same, just a matter of finding out what the hell it's called in this particular package and how to get to it. For someone new to 3d modelling? Uuuuuuh.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://store.steampowered.com/app/243580/

:v:

Otherwise yes, Blender is free, but it'll be like learning to drive but all the labels in the car and the maps are printed out by Google auto translate from some factory in Shenzen.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 16, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Just the default settings out of blender. Got PMs? When I get home I'll upload a reference file that I used successfully to get stuff into the game. (I only just got into work tho, it'll be about another 8 hours :v:)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah, as I said, when exporting from Blender the scale needs to be 400x to be tile for tile. You can set it from the FBX export window, there's a panel on the left to set the export scale. Alternatively when importing it into Cities, you can set the scale to 400 instead of 1.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Noyemi K posted:

Now that my prop is in the game... how the hell do I use it on buildings and stuff?

Create new asset - Building. Pick a building type and build. For some reason the props are plopped under Park equipment. I havent figured out how to add icons to a prop yet either so it'll appear as an incomplete grey pile of bricks when looking for it in the menu.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Fire engines barrelling down the skywalks. :getin:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If you keep pumping sewage into that lake, will it eventually overflow?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lester Shy posted:

Are pedestrian paths part of the base game or a mod? I've looked all over, but I can't find them anywhere.

You need to unlock parks first.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The only winning move is not to play bulldoze it all

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Trick Question posted:

Traffic is so bad, but none of these motherfuckers are using my metro. What's up with that?

In fact, I'm starting to believe hexagons aren't actually optimal for city blocks in the first place!

You built a tunnel but didnt tell the trains to drive in them.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Check your power reach. That road may be too wide for the power to jump the gap.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

We're literally talking about a lakeful of poo in the posts above you, why do you think they're removed?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dammit I just realized that the four lane roads were causing a lot of my traffic issues. The divider in the middle prevents traffic from buildings on the sides from going in the wrong direction so they have to go all the way to the end of the road. With a six or two lane road, they can just cross and be on their way!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They all look like bugs to me, crawling in and out of their metro holes.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Going back to Zbrush to work on terrain was a much better idea. Then export the heightmap into the game and fine tune from there.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Between different industrial zone types, from resource production areas to resource using areas. i.e. from mines to ore processing, or oil pumps to oil refineries.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Putting residentials between the two harbors was a bad idea... for the people who moved in. They got so sick from all the noise pollution!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I dont know where my money is coming from. I just spend it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Pedestrians get out of the metro, end up trapped forever on the roudabout island.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Are crematoriums and incinerators supposed to catch fire more often or is it just my fire layout?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Poizen Jam posted:

Given the depth of the modding capability, what exactly is preventing mods increasing the map size beyond 5x5? It's definitely not necessary for me now or in the near future, but I'm kind of really curious how such a hard limit could be set. Is it just the fact the current modding tools can't touch the relevant bits of code?

Computers turning into flaming piles of slag.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Seriously the only thing I feel the game NEEDS is clean merging or splitting of one way roads into dual direction ones instead of lights popping up. nyaargh

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Close enough!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The tweets are occasionally uselful since they notify me about lack of power, water or dead people piling up, but there's so much spammy junk in them too.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

There's already disasters in the game. It's called my highway system.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Aaaagh the worst part of mapmaking has to be waiting for all your water to settle.

My loving rivers are SLOSHING

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Mar 18, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Welp I did a first pass of my map. The bad news is that I hosed UP and completely misjudged the scale. Thanks to not having any structures as landmarks to guide the size of things, I made every feature about 2-3x the size I intended them to feel like. That massive gulf between islands should have been a narrow span. The river is a giant raging chasm! The narrow winding paths up the mountains are huge! The shoreline that I wanted to be sort of eroded looking edges, MASSIVE CLIFFS. Bleagh

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

ZenVulgarity posted:

Jesus Christ the modding

Gonna put tits on that skyscraper.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So what happens if you dont provide for corpse removal? :v:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

JUST BUILD IT

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Noyemi K posted:

Hey guys, I finished a growable commercial building. It's high density commercial with a 4x4 lot. Parking and door's in and everything!

What do you mean by 'growable'?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Noyemi K posted:

It naturally appears in commercially zoned areas with available 4x4 space. :)

And on the C:SL forums there was a warning from another modder about growables possibly not working, so I tested it rigorously as well.

Ah. I was hoping you'd come across how to do the various stages of buildings, like how the trash pile keeps getting bigger in the garbage dump

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Fuel your city entirely with burning garbage #1weirdtip

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

simosimo posted:

Blender.

This poo poo is driving me nuts! I've gotten as far as wrapping a basic cube but moving the little UV net thing on the right does nothing, the video I was watching the dude was clicking on each face, and drawing a little area on the right and it updated each time

I also have a rogue little verticie for some reason. I tried to delete it and the whole thing just showed a blank grid ARGH.

Also the front of the building has my texture on but doesnt show a texture in the UV editor, I dont even know. Wading against the waves at every turn with 3D modellin'. :(

Go into edit mode in the left window. Select all polygons. Select Mesh->UV Unwrap->Smart UV Project.

edit! Also that little ball to the right of the 'edit mode' button? Click on it and select Texture mode. Or jump into your texture and make sure the mapping is set to 'uv'

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Why your AA so bad.