Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

thinking that the elite would flock to this area, because it's waterfront property away from the hellscape of the city streets. Instead a bunch of poor people moved in
For some reason waterfront property is a negative in this game. Property value in general is odd. My polluted industrial park is full of children's playgrounds with brown trees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Underground powerlines, even for twice the cost of above ground ones would be amazing.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

My city of 60k almost died because every commercial space was complaining about a lack of goods. Turns out trains and trucks had spontaneously begun to ignore my cargo rail depot. I built a second one next to it and a flood of trucks and trains resumed. Replacing the old one and the tracks around it does nothing. Everyone just got together one day and started boycotting it. Why?

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Has anyone found any performance benchmarks for the game? I'm wondering how much of an impact CPU cores and videocard selection have on frame rate.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

At 80,000 cims my city ran out of memory. Task manager showed 8 gigs fully utilized. Vehicles began dropping consistently and my commercial kept begging for goods. Anyone else encountering this?

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Ever since this game came out I've been praying for a benchmark or performance review, but according to Google nobody has ever bothered. Is there an appreciable difference between an i5 and an i7 once you get over the 150k citizen range? I'm looking to upgrade my aging 2.5Ghz i3 and want to know if the extra money is worth it in C:S.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

I swear to god on an i3 2100T 2 core 4 thread CPU, my computer seems like it's gonna explode by the time I get to 60,000 cims.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

What kills me is that there isn't a single benchmark for Cities: Skylines out there on the web. You'd think people would want to know if the extra $100 on an i7 get you a 2x increase in performance or not.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

When is the DLC coming out?

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

I'm a huge fan of putting two lane one-way roads at the points where my freeway off ramps connect to main streets. Gives people two lanes to go in two directions. There's a mod with three lane roads that fit in the space of a normal two, which work even better.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

I've been trying to determine at what point people are unable to play on 3x, 2x, and 1x but information is sparse.

With an i3 2100T (2.5GHz) with 8 gigs of RAM on Windows 7:

3x limit 60k
2x limit 80k
1x limit 90-100k (Game becomes unplayable)

I'm upgrading to an i7 3770S (3.1-3.9GHz) and want to quantify the difference in performance somehow.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

After replacing an i3 2100T with an i7 3770S my city hit a milestone of 130,000 cims. No signs of any slowdown, running at a constant 50-60fps. The i3 couldn't handle 50,000 cims, so upgrading has definitely given the game new life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

I seem to recall the agent limit being 216 = 65.53 (65,000)

Apparently if the game ran DX12 we'd see performance boosts with larger cities, among other options they have to improve the long term gameplay. Sadly they seem content with the game the way it is, so don't get your hopes up for any actual core improvements outside of their random superficial expansion packs.

Still, managing a 100k population city is fun, even if only 20% of the people can actually move at once.