Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

How do I quench my citizens' unrelenting thirst for low-density housing? I keep sacrificing land to suburban sprawl, which immediately gets snatched up while the dense urban core I'm trying to build remains completely unoccupied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I liked this game a lot more when I was spending most of my time building increasingly hosed up freeway interchanges instead of yelling at my cims for refusing to move in to medium density housing. It’s probably a good thing I’m not a real mayor because I would solve all of the city’s problems by demolishing half of a suburb to build an experimental almost-double diverging diamond-ish interchange or an italic trumpet, upzoning the rest, and sticking an elementary school in the middle of it all.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

What’s the advantage of trams over buses? I’ve been pretty much just ignoring them, since my real-life experience with streetcars has left me thinking that they’re just buses but on rails.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I really enjoyed the pseudo-tutorial baked into the tech tree. For my first city.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

If the demand meters aren’t the way to determine what your city is in need of, what else should I use to guide what I’m building?

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I've switched to Against the Storm for now. It's a very different game, but it scratches the same itch of plopping things down in an increasingly chaotic sprawl while making all the meters line up. It's a roguelike, with each village having a victory condition that gives it a pretty fixed lifespan of a couple of hours, and its major focus is on directly managing a resource economy and worker placement.

I'm really missing making hosed up highways in a quest for perfect traffic flow, though. I'll have to check back in a few months.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Real Civil Engineer is still doing CS:2 videos and seems to still be enjoying it, but he does a lot of silly challenges instead of “real” cities. He’s got a serious city on his Patreon, which I’m not subscribed to; maybe that’s where he’s got his more serious thoughts about the game.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

esquilax posted:

It's just a stock photo. I found it in 2 minutes of googling.

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/aerial-drone-shot-mansions-florida-774357604

Not saying this is a bad thing, this is the exact purpose for why stock photos exist.

I would ordinarily agree with you, but this is an aerial view of a beach house, on a banner advertising beach houses we will be seeing at an aerial view. It’s reasonable for someone to look at that and think that the house on the picture is an asset that will be in the game.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

explosivo posted:

I like this shot from the official trailer for the beach properties DLC pack with ne'er a beach to be seen along the coastline.

I like the winding footpaths through the woods by the coast. That would make for a lovely park... if parks could be anything but ploppables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

The graphical issues are so strange to me. It feels like they just don’t have the expertise on staff to make the “obvious” (to people who know what they’re doing) changes, or to identify major problem areas like absurdly high-res props. Do they not have a technical artist to take care of these things?