Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My city's at a population of 7000 and I have zero demand for everything. I can't afford universities yet and my forest industries are failing because of lack of workers (because of lack of demand for housing). How can I remedy this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

OwlFancier posted:

Zone more residential, build schools, parks, and ensure you have good health, fire, and police coverage.

I had all this but apparently throwing in some bus stations fixed it.

Also wow, my poor layout decisions are biting me in the rear end but it's more fun to expand and implode than deal with it. :v:

quote:

Green space is the devils space. Build parks.

Grid is life. Grid is love.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Decrepus posted:

Does everyone here make money on their public transit besides me?

e: Also do you deliberately leave room for metro station? I feel like an rear end having to bulldoze houses to throw it haphazardly into a block.

My city is a hellscape of grids, turd bays, buses desperately fighting the freight trucks to get to the newly rejuvenating forestry zone (I had to dezone like a third, I guess you don't need nearly as much as in Sim City). Meanwhile I apparently ran out of coal for my plant and never noticed since I've been building so many advanced wind turbines (why would I not do this by the way). I put down social services entirely based on what looks about right based on where I've expanded and with no thought for actual expansion. I haven't bought the block with the interstate yet so that's next and God help me when I try to gently caress with it to unclog it.

e: Oh good the medical clinic is on fire.

e: I am fairly certain I will have to raze half the city to actually adjust for the traffic problems rising. I won't, but I should.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 18, 2015

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Decrepus posted:

I just noticed dead bodies piling up all over my one district city. I have 3 cemeteries and an incinerator but they aren't sending out hearses. I can see the hearses in Use tick from 0 to 1 for an instant and then back again while bodies continue piling up. I don't understand what is going on in this town.

When you're emptying a landfill into an incinerator do they stop bothering to collect the trash? Because I just realize my city is now drowning in it.

e: Oh god it's the traffic the gridlock finally hit send help

(I know it looks like a dong that's not intentional shush)

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 18, 2015

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Do custom-made maps count as mods for purposes of achievements? I guess I don't really care either way but I like using them to track my progress through a game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Reason posted:

You can get a mod that makes it so achievements will activate while using mods.

Of course this exists. :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How should I go about setting up a cargo freight train and a passenger train for my city? I have no outside connections for them. Almost entirely on accident I solved most of my traffic and trash problems and I've expanded across the river and my next real big challenge is better public transit. And also making less lovely grids and making what I've got better, but you know. :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's looking like my solution to cargo trains, since there are no outside connections for them on the entire map, is either just to have a terminal at the major industrial areas and a third at the major commercial one, or ignore it entirely in favor of a cargo port. I have an idea for passenger trains but ehh.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Count Roland posted:

gently caress you guys, and your drat poop dams and stupid looking highway interchanges. I read this whole drat thread, and bought the game against my better judgement last night. Now my rear end in a top hat citizens are constantly bitching about how they need "electricity" and "water" and "waste disposal" and every other loving thing. Now I must research these properties, while finding mods to improve the thing, which will keep me coming back to this god forsaken thread.

Thanks for ruining my life.

Don't forget to keep your corpse piles tidy!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So I bought after dark before steam poo poo itself. I remember the base game being chill and easy besides my nightmare traffic, anything to keep in mind or look at with the expansion?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Half of my city was on fire and I figured out it was because the fire department was on a one way road and it never occurred to any of them to hang a right. :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Aww, I can finally make a hydro dam but the river I'm on isn't strong enough for it to really matter. :(

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

zedprime posted:

That's why Skyline's civil engineers invented waste outflows.

My God

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm using the one European tile set with two rivers too, so I can just move the intakes over. It's perfect.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Haha there is a wave of corpses right next to the graveyard on empty roads they refuse to pick up.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Imagine four turds on the edge of a cliff...

Dams work the same way.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's hilarious how gigantic the High Interest Tower is compared to every other building. I put it on the waterfront near the river and blocked the view of like two thousand rich people. It caused my high density commercial zones to turn into low-density huge towers though, so that's weird? But also cool, because I wanted that.

The weird thing now though is I have huge demand for industry/offices, but zero for residential and commercial, but they still get filled up anyway.

Also what do I do about landfills? They have to be near residential zones because the trucks only go so far out of the city, but since it's high rises and towers it looks ugly, and causes a load of sickness, that even even two overlapping hospitals isn't helping. I'll send pictures of what I have later, I'm pretty proud of what I have so far! It's pretty griddy, but curves along and gets broken up. Traffic sucks but it mostly moves; I need to revamp most of the streets, get buses in place, and fix the taxi stands now that I understand how they actually work. About 33,000 cims there at the moment (I know it's an abstraction but lol that there's only 30,000 people in a city that size).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

zedprime posted:

There's a few counterintuitive things going on with service buildings and I think landfills have all those same quirks. The first is that coverage area is based on road speed degrading service quality, so you can get better coverage with faster roads like highways or 6 lanes. But the other hand of that quirk is that the coverage area is only used for satisfaction. Actual efficacy is based on how fast the garbage trucks can get out there and grab garbage. So with lovely traffic, they will visit significantly less houses. And perfect traffic means they can end up with the time and inclination to travel way far out from their indicated coverage area.

In general stick garbage facilities on the highway leading into your city. You have a highway diving into the city center, right?

Yeah, though it all will need an overhaul (I dreaded this day) and another one crossing along. So just move the fills down near the highway (they empty fast enough thankfully), make an offramp to get to them, then make sure they can actually get back to it? Thanks, I had thought they were like the other services where they HAD to be nearby for the level system.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

zedprime posted:

It still counts for satisfaction, but you shouldn't be mortified if a little corner isn't covered.

But garbage service areas are loving huge, and if they are on a highway they should have good interconnection for covering huge swathes of city. Check to make sure the funding is set to normal and make sure your city isn't entirely made up of 2 lanes (who's speed kills service coverage dead)

Thanks! I've upgraded the main arteries to four or six lane, though I'm hitting the point with the office districts where four lane will be needed. I guess that's the next big challenge!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Here's an album of screenshots of my city: http://imgur.com/a/HNn50

Traffic is a hellscape and I guess there's some dead people in there lmao

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I have a vague idea of what I want (waterfront highrises and offices, logging industry in the forest) then go from there. For me the fun is seeing what impact your random stuff has. Like that interest tower! Didn't see the hill hotels popping up from it. :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've never even needed to build a prison. The station jails seem sufficient for everything. Tourism and leisure really isn't that indepth either. I'll probably give this dlc a pass based on the last one.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Grabbing my first mod for the game, to open up all 25 tiles once I get a megalopolis. I'm vain and petty though, will this interfere with 'cheevos or unlocks? Also I started making my highways before realizing I should have just use two three way intersections. Oops!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've got a train network connected to the outside existing connection, built a train station, set the district for tourism, and built tourism facilities. How long until people start to show?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I somehow made a large roundabout get clogged with fire trucks and police cars, backing up all the way off the map. What the hell lol

e: ALL of it is from off the map. Why am I being invaded by police?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 23, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Day 34: Traffic 50% foreign officers and ambulances. Local services overwhelmed

Seriously what's with this invasion?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I feel a little dumb now not having anything go off of highways but ramps. It'd have solved a lot of issues. :v:

My city's at 50k, the highways have solved traffic mostly besides the police thing, garbage is no longer an issue, tourism is up (but drat barely anyone shows, that sucks), I have a lot of unique buildings but they're just leisure I guess and don't do anything? Oh well.I have a train network and cargo harbors and passenger harbors but that's it for public transit. I want to tackle that next.

The European tileset doesn't get as big as the American one does it? Or is it just that you guys have a lot of building mods installed?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I have harbors, unique buildings, and a load of tourism destinations in a tourism district. Why is almost no one showing up to it? Do they just not generate a lot of money?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bold Robot posted:

Like most systems in this game, tourism can be completely ignored with no discernible downsides. You don't have to have an external rail connection, harbor, or airport if you don't feel like it. The correct answer for almost anything is to just do whatever looks cool.

That's why I wanted it in the first place! I was going for a cool riverfront/coastline tourism district. Oh well.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

By the does high density commercial actually do anything? Every building in a HD commercial zone is low-density, regardless of land value.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Koesj posted:

There's a handfull of taller buildings in the regular 'ol high commercial set -though they rarely appear, and of course only at the highest level).

By comparison the default LC zoning has some frustratingly large buildings IMO. Three-storied ones in the first level for example, which make the serviceable sizes of the HC lots seem inadequate.

The solution, as always, is more more more custom assets.

That explains the super hotels in the LC zones. :v:

I'm guessing airports are barely used no matter what too? It's kind of disappointing how little works at the last unlocks. The unique buildings are a huge letdown.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Koesj posted:

You're trying to play it as a game, but that's a huge mistake!

Yeah I guess I am. I'm going for a city with a population of 100k (man that abstraction doesn't hold up the larger it gets), but I wanted to see how those systems would interact. :(

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ofaloaf posted:

If the abstraction's bothering you, one of the early mods that came out for Skylines was the SimCity Fudged Population Mod, which I still use.

Awesome, thanks! It's really minor but it bugs me that such a big city has so few people in it.

e: The fudged population is about 602,000, which is about right I think.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 25, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Are you using AD's leisure/tourism specializations? All the specialized buildings are low density regardless of what you set your zones to be.

I am, so that explains it. I found some in a unspecialized zone. This expansion was really half-baked. It got me back in the game but man, it really wasn't worth the price, even on sale.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Crosscontaminant posted:

Is this game worth buying if I already own SimCity 4? It seems like it's sort of stolen that game's thunder—there's no thread to replace the old one, and the modpack links have rotted—but with all the complaining in this thread you could be forgiven for getting the impression it's no good because the developers have absolutely no idea what to do with the success they've stumbled onto.

I like it a lot more than Sim City 4, which despite the cool terraforming tools I found really sterile and boring compared to SC3K.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

3500 people use my metro, which so far catches fire 100% less than the DC metro, so my city is a rousing success. :v:

(I nearly destroyed it setting tax rates to 4% for the posh mall)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My city's capped out at 77,000 population though I keep adding more zones. Is there something I'm missing to for that last push? I tried lowering taxes but it didn't help.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Baronjutter posted:

Just build more stuff, wait. Sometimes the game can take a loooong time to "digest" things. Or get a demand mod and just set demands your self so you can grow as/when you need to.

Thanks, I'll just let it process for a while. I have demand, it just kind putters around. I took the time to add more metros and enhance the cargo train lines so they can get goods to the commercial districts easier. A side result of my city being an office hellscape is the forestry industry collapsed; not enough workers. :(

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ofaloaf posted:

Effort is for chumps.

And, to be fair, I'm kinda going for an old-fashioned industrial shithole feel. Even named the style "That Gotham City vibe", because I'm trying to go for that Gotham City vibe at this point. Early 20th century, mix of American and European architecture, streetlights are all swapped out for the old gaslamp-looking things in the parks and the cars are all 1950s or earlier (plus some Fallout designs). If I could swap out the grass entirely for, like, patches of ash, mud and garbage, it'd be perfect.

I want to make a SimShitty too. :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Give me ingame terraforming tools!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So I started messing with the new quays when I realized the river was somehow running dry. My thirteen pumps somehow drained most of it. So I used two dams and a second pump to get the rest out, almost flooded half my city with the buildup somehow, then realized that past the dam there was still a river. Flowing the other way.

My sewage drains and treatment plants are following all that water out, into the bay. It reversed the flow of the river at one point, and provides the rest. The water physics own.