Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freakus
Oct 21, 2000

Spaceman Future! posted:

The clean fix for the lane issue would be to have agents only switch to their "optimal" lane within X distance of their desired intersection and encourage non public transit ai to scatter between lanes between those distance checks. I wonder how computationally expensive that would be, because the alternatives are wierd game only intersections and road splits as a workaround. Not that its an absolutely massive deal but I hope its on the list. Also enforced minimum spacing between city buses on a line would go a long way to cleaning up weird traffic jams on otherwise open roads.
I sort of feel like it will not help at all. Especially since I don't think this game models things like commute cycles, in which case using those extra lanes might help.

To compare to plumbing, if your drain is too small for your faucet that is always on, you will eventually overflow, no matter how big your sink is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakus
Oct 21, 2000
Any tips on getting level 3 offices? Do parks help them like they do residential? Or do I need to cover them in other things?

Freakus
Oct 21, 2000

Reveilled posted:

Why don't cargo trains come to this station? I built it along with my new downtown district to attempt to resolve some problems my commercial zones were having with their goods supplies. I had anticipated that cargo trains would arrive, vans would spawn, and they would drive off to deliver to the shops in the area. But literally not one train ever arrived. Eventually I decided I was going to have to put a new industrial zone in after years of being office-only, which is partially visible on the right. It failed miserably due to lack of workers, but for some reason the cargo stations there receive deliveries, and so you can see the little horde of vans crossing the bridge on their way to deliver to my commercial district. But why won't they visit the station downtown?

The station is on, powered, watered, connected by rail in both directions and has road access (and removing the junction right in front of the station makes no difference). What's going on?
I've had issues as well. It would be nice if they tweaked this.

As it is now I have no idea how they choose which to go to. I have 2 cargo terminals, and a harbor right next to eachother. One cargo terminal is red from usage (cars backed up pretty far on the freeway), the other is green (very few cars), and the harbor is orange (traffic is heavy but it flows). The freeway literally ends with 3 offramps to these 3 locations, so I can't really move cars any faster.

Freakus
Oct 21, 2000
I created this monster for industrial truck traffic:

One east-west freeway meeting a north-south freeway. Both freeways can get off onto any cargo terminal. And all cargo terminals can get back going on either freeway.

Freakus
Oct 21, 2000
Holy poo poo. I redid my bus system. Nothing creates a traffic jam like all 500 buses returning to the single depot at once.

Freakus
Oct 21, 2000

Noyemi K posted:

It would, but I'd also like to reduce the ground pollution on it. Oh well :shrug:
Silicon Valley would like to have a word with you about high tech industry and pollution. (Palo Alto is built on a superfund site because of HP).

Freakus
Oct 21, 2000

Ofaloaf posted:

I just realized-- coal plants produce 40 megawatts of power for $560/mo., or $14 per month per megawatt. Oil plants produce 120 megawatts of power for $1920/mo., or $16 per month per megawatt. Coal-fired plants are cheaper to initially construct and cheaper on a per-month basis, so why should I bother with oil plants at all?
Wind is $10/MW. Solar is something like $7.5/MW. The real question is: why would you build coal, oil, or nuclear plants?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakus
Oct 21, 2000

Baronjutter posted:

Except that actually happens a lot, specially throughout european history. I mean heck in the north american city I live in they dug up a whole cemetery to build a park and re-located or cremated the remains. Then we recently found out the whole moving the bodies thing was a lie, they only moved the stones, and there's bones like a foot under everything.
Related, most of the cemeteries in San Francisco were moved just south, to Colma. There are more dead in Colma than alive by over 1000 : 1.