Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I have some questions about Cities Skylines ONE:

I've run into this perennial problem where a lot of my commercial and industrial zones start waving the flag of "not enough educated workers". Now, I read a guide about how the education system works, and far as I can tell this is all about making sure that my schooling system has enough capacity, but:

1. waiting for people to become educated takes time. Assuming my bottom-line is in the green, is it possible to just not expand a town for a while?

2. if the answer to 1 is "yes", my understanding is that you're going to want some kind of balance in the R/C/I split. Is there a graph or some kind of data view that'll show me total demand for workers, preferably by education type, versus actual number of workers available? The unemployment graph isn't helpful, and neither is the employment graph.

3. the education guide I read described that overeducation can actually become a problem: if everyone in the city is educated, then they're not going to want to work the jobs that demand uneducated workers, which then hurts things like the Farm Specialization districts. If that's the case, is it possible/feasible to just not pursue those kinds of industries?

4. on the flipside, what if I don't want an educated population, and as such only pursue generic industries? That does mean that buildings won't level up, which means I'm leaving a lot of densification and tax revenue on the table, but as long as the budget is in the green, that's technically still a playable city, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
so I actually can plan for providing enough education for everyone, and college grads will still work the miner jobs if there's nowhere else for them to go, but I guess to go back to the first question: does it make sense to pause further expansion of the town until more people are educated? Because even if I zone out some more residential, the people that'll be moving in are going to be mostly uneducated anyway, which does nothing to solve the problem of industrial/commercial that needs educated Cims.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

so I actually can plan for providing enough education for everyone, and college grads will still work the miner jobs if there's nowhere else for them to go, but I guess to go back to the first question: does it make sense to pause further expansion of the town until more people are educated? Because even if I zone out some more residential, the people that'll be moving in are going to be mostly uneducated anyway, which does nothing to solve the problem of industrial/commercial that needs educated Cims.

okay I did some experimentation on this and I guess it works: just let the simulation run for a while, like six months without touching anything, and people will get educated. It even helps buildings level-up, and lets residential places fill-out completely, and builds up a bunch of money so I'm sitting on the edge of needing a loan all the time.

at this point the fishstick factories are reporting "overeducated" people working in it, but that's fine.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Grand Fromage posted:

What do you mean by that? You can make the region as big as you want, though when you get over 25x25 large tiles it starts to choke. A city larger than large would be cool but I'm not sure SC4 could handle that given the hard limit you have on resource use. Both of those feel like things you'd need to have a 64 bit OpenSC4 to do which, not likely.

Are there ways to get regions besides the one the game ships with?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/jaketropolis/status/1782098839865868475?t=PKMZaMpvx3UEEMHlCWqrRA&s=19

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mandoric posted:

you can also lay out only services-only lanes as the one highway connection thinking "oh hey I can get the trash pickup from neighbors" and lo and behold, every single household in town crams their brodozer down it while moving in.

*looks at America*

working as intended, ticket closed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

piratepilates posted:

2-3 weeks for a fix, and then they just drop a sizable patch a few days later, what the hell was the point in that

that's the Montgomery Scott principle