Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
How do you even get tourists? I have like 60 in a city of 70000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

People actually use these! I started building them all over the place. I wish we had them in real life more.

I made a three way dam to keep the poo poo water from getting sucked into my intakes and it was creating suction.

I deleted it and it made a little tidal wave and did a Moses while it was at it all through the bay :w00t:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

The Skeep posted:

Here is a custom map I made. It is a island in the shape of a giant toilet

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=408929531

Please Enjoy.

Poo water comes as standard.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I wish they staggered the births/deaths. As of right now a cohort of people will move in when you zone a fresh block, and all die at the same time.

I figure they could either randomize death dates with a bell curve for deaths around the time they use now (some die before, most die nearer to it, some die after) or randomize births (a bell curve around when cims tend to have babies). This would blunt the death waves, bring it more in line with real life, and not discourage us from zoning entire neighborhoods at once.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Anybody got a trick for laying out circles? I always end up with lovely looking roundabouts.

Edit: I'm an idiot it was in the OP. Uhhh, so traffic guys am I right?

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 22, 2015

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Lester Shy posted:

It's probably a pipe dream, but I'd love a mod that adds helicopter service. I'm sure a realistic system would be impossible, but maybe something that automatically teleports cims to and from max level offices and high-density residential buildings, with a few choppers flying around the city or sitting on top of buildings for show. I have the same awful traffic as Sao Paulo; my ultra rich cims need the same solution.

I do miss ghetto birds flying around like in Sim City.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Anybody have a naming convention for districts? I figure I'd want to name neighborhoods all kinds of thing but most of the time I don't really care.

When I do care, I tend to use names of Spyro 2 levels and X3:TC zones.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Mar 26, 2015

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Gadzuko posted:

Public service announcement: You can skip the incredibly annoying radio speaking bits by mousing over the radio icon in the bottom right and clicking the "next" button until the music comes back.

Play the Simcopter radio files and have good dialog and decent music. The Simville Picayune's #1 choice for city builder ambiance.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Zoeb posted:

I am sad because I have a bunch of studying to do for grad school and can't play it until Thursday.

This is just a public beta. You have longer to wait yet.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

Known bug. Just ignore it for now.

thread title :P

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Mad Wack posted:

i just zone a literal huge toilet volcano and dump all the poop in there

Toilet volcano :hmmyes:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

turn off the TV posted:

the nebulous "efficiency" stat that is tied to funding instead of actual service effectiveness is so loving lame and lovely. a baseline elementary school has capacity for 1000 students. if i have 100 students attending it, and the budget is set to 50%, then the efficiency takes a 80-90% penalty despite only using what should be 1/5th of that capacity. it's like that for every service and it makes adjusting the budget basically pointless since a lot of them provide zero mechanical benefit unless fully funded

Yeah this is really annoying. I cut the budget (and I regret this) for schools and my high school had a 50% dropout rate and the college 87%. There's only 300 students in each, bro that was just my RL graduating class. I'm not trying to make it less effective, I just want to trim capacity down to size and save a bit of money. So I guess unless I want the college to be Devry, I have to fully fund it as if it had 5 times the students it does.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I have it on GP for another month. Game definitely needs another 6 months minimum in the oven, shame on Paradox for rushing the game out.

I called my city "Lag City" :laugh:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Wow they really went all-in for realism in the North America building set

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Yeah and that’s fair, you don’t want a mistake or oversight to just unravel your save and cascade the city down to nothing. Unlike say, the Pharoah remake :v:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I built a cargo terminal and ships never take a single ton of goods anywhere, even after I made trade routes, they just dump their poo poo and leave empty.

I'm aware of the bug/non-implemented features so lol.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

How are y’all doing bus routes? I’m lucky to get 9% utilization and routes I make I and deleting because they’re never used. I sprinkle C throughout the R zones and I is spaced further away. I do little routes feeding into one route to the I zone.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I kinda hit the wall with Lag City. I'm at level 9 with high density unlocked, but there's no residential demand. The only demand is commercial, which is easy to oversaturate.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

That reminds of me of when you had high crime in Sim City 4, when you zoomed in you heard gunshots.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Eiba posted:

The cargo economy is still broken? drat. I made a cargo terminal my top priority in my first city because I thought it would do something and when it didn't and I looked up that it was just broken I stopped playing and haven't picked the game up since.

I really like the idea of a more complex industrial chain in a city game, but I'm not going to get invested in building one up until at least the most basic functions are actually there.

I get there are bugs at release, but I would have thought that fixing a building that literally does nothing would be a priority.

Yup, cargo ships only unload, and always leave empty.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Jyrraeth posted:

The sedan strikes the Cim in the upper right back tooth and the severed part sails off in an arc!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Anime Store Adventure posted:

It is a weird thing how much Cities 1 and now 2 seem to really put a focus on 'deathcare.' I don't know how it works outside of America but I don't think of this as a municipal service worthy of like, Cities:Skylines level management?

City Coroners pick up bodies if they just drop dead somewhere.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

MikeC posted:

The fact that cargo economy which seems to be tied to the mail and garbage issue (the 10x throughput was just a bandaid it seems) hasn't been mentioned or iterated on is concerning. That is part of the core economic modeling which touches every part of the game including traffic since it should generate trucks and movement of goods. Also it doesn't mention anything about people shopping directly at industry sites for no reason bypassing commercial for certain items.

It suggests that there are deeply rooted problems in the entire model that needs to be addressed.

Or like the game was released too early and that feature was not fully implemented.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Mandoric posted:

I continue to have the exact opposite experience, where the only demand is C even though there are roughly two unfilled jobs for every one filled.

It's basically impossible for my R not to slowly tick up, there are no ennui waves like I've been used to since SNES SC, but goddamn is it slow.

:same: Only C has high demand, even though they bitch about low customers and lack of staff.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Concurred posted:

I had no idea about the air pollution / wind direction thing when I made my first city and now I'm 35k pop deep and hesitant to move my entire industrial grid to the other side of the city so 10% of my city lives with perpetual sickness

Endemic :coronatoot:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Hockey rink and skatepark free-LC. Pesky teeth will be dealt with the raddest treatments available.

ETA: Ever since the latest patch nobody is happy with the mail service even though I added more boxes, post offices, and a sorting facility, which sits idle. The seaport exports things now, so that's good at least.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 4, 2023

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Not being at work and not squeezing the forums and reddit and what have to as hard as I can everyday to avoid work made me miss the patch coming out lol

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I got Sim City 4 for Christmas 2003 :unsmith: :smith:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Yeah IDK what kind of kilju they're drinking, but they released an early access beta as a full game with a full game price and after almost 5 months it's still not 1.0 ready. Of course people are mad at you. I think most people would be happy with just a changelog or a roadmap, but half this post is them being defensive.

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Man it’s nuts that they’re going to try to push “actually the community is bad.” How do game company communicators of arguably objectively, currently poo poo products not look at what Hello Games did with No Man’s Sky and go “if we want this to eventually succeed, we should shut up and fix it.”

What’s the end game of talking about toxicity? I’m sure there’s plenty of ragers who suck saying poo poo they shouldn’t, but “don’t do that” isn’t going to change anything for them or for the devs. Feels like such a weird tack to settle on.

Even Creative Assembly issued an apology and discounted Pharoah with everyone getting the difference between launch and new price.

Jonny Shiloh posted:

LOL, cue PC gamers going ballistic, although honestly I'm not convinced CO are going to be able to pull off a console release at all given the huge problems with the PC version of the game.

Yup, and they have to go through certification processes and not just poo poo out whatever. Didn't Cyberpunk cause CDPR to have to issue refunds or something?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Kyte posted:

imo the backlog's probably on QA rather than dev

We're the QA lol

piratepilates posted:

There was a mod for C:S1 that just chose random colours for your public transit lines. That didn't make it in to C:S2.

Their entire oeuvre is transit games specifically, setting up transit lines used to be the entire game in the ones they made before CS.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

:hmbol: Paradox is a joke now

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Yeah I think it's clear that the intent was that it would be an emergent dynamic simulation but that turned out way harder than they thought and they were taking too long and told they had to get it out and they ended up neutering most of it to try to get it under control and releasable.

All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

That's exactly how Sim City 2013 went lol

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

I think the context you're missing just might be Mariina basically daring Paradox to lean on the CO board to fire her with a nice fat severance. It's sure as hell what I would do in her current position.

I hope she's recording her calls so we get transcripts for the Netflix documentary in 3 years

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

My Summer City

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

In other news, apparently DLL modding for SimCity 4 has been figured out and there's a lot of stuff being worked on. There's a beta for new building themes, and some of the modders think they can actually alter the game to be much more stable and run better on modern hardware.

lol if people can take a 20 year old game and mod it down to an even deeper level than they already were and do all of this before CS2 can get to proper 1.0 status.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

buglord posted:

The shame is that not-SC4 has an incredibly tough score to beat when it comes to the soundtrack. SC4 and 3K are pretty iconic.

I was this close to putting Magic City from SC3K on a playlist for my wedding. I ended up settling on one of the tracks from The Sims 1 Build Mode :v:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

buglord posted:

I can think of two TS1 Build Mode songs that would fit there. I wonder if yours was one of them. TS1 had some absolutely timeless bangers.

Spotify only had 3 out of the 6 build mode songs. I picked Under Construction, though I usually identify them by Buildmode[1..6]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Welp, looks like everyone who bought the beach dlc will be getting a refund, and those who got the ultimate edition package will get some free asset packs and radio stations to compensate.

Why does every strategy or sim game these days come with an apology lmao