Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I fired C:S up because I haven't played it a while. I did the normal things but then I had about a trillion money and nothing to do so I decided to renovate a lot of places, as is my Divine Mandate, including my water system. Worried about sewage capacity and water capacity I created a bunch of pumps in the new location, located upstream of the old pumps. The new sewage would go where the old pumps were.

Water physics being as they are, when I pushed unpause, the void of water from the previous pumps caused surrounding water to rush in, and then my sewage buildings started to pump a LOT of shitwater when I deleted my old pumps. This caused a minor tidal wave of poo poo that flooded my lakeside office district that now features a very unseemly yellow color and because of a weird thing on the topography, there's a basin of shitwater right in the heart of the office district. I can't get rid of it, so I decided to just own up to it and placed another sewage outflow in a basin I formed around the new poo poo lake.

Land values seem to be not that terrible nearby and the clinics I built to handle the specific health hazard of working next to poop all day seem to be operating fine. What will be my next Great Leap Forward, I wonder!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

serious gaylord posted:

If I wanted to start playing Skylines with the aim of being a super detail nutcase like all the youtubers, is there a list of 'must have' mods?

Probably you'll want the auto-bulldoze mod that gets rid of abandoned and ruined buildings.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

My approach to noise pollution was to have industrial traffic relegated to labyrinthine and multi-levelled underground tunnels not unlike the building in Westworld and to have necessary pollution buildings on special "garbage islands" because why not.

Other than a minor negative effect on happiness of residences, is noise pollution a big deal?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

hailthefish posted:

Quite a ways. They're also happy to wait for an eternity. 'Tie up hundreds of agents in neverending bus stop waits' is a legit traffic strat.

One that misses the point, in my view, but I've seen people unironically advocate it.

I don't gently caress with grandiose mutli-stop subway/metro/bus routes. I do a series of 2-stop loops. Seems to work just fine.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Winter is pretty great because the snow-on-the-ground aesthetic is nice and the new things you deal with is low maintenance enough it doesn't really detract from the experience.

Then again I really, really felt like I needed to make Ice Town happen.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

SC4 is still the go-to if you wanna do some real autismal city building. I mean, the whole city-as-a-part-of-a-region is pretty killer, even if one plot of land might be a metropolis living in the year 3000 and its neighbor is basically just one big farm living in the year 2000.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Well, driving without traffic lights is similar to just having hyper-efficient traffic lights that let people through with just enough time to get through without being hit.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Really interested in the multiplatform launch, will it hurt/hinder optimization efforts

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Vahakyla posted:

As long as we have Chirper.

Chirper can be purchased for 44bn, but when you do it you lose a bunch of goodwill and you don't make any money on it. the chirps are mostly people making fun of you

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

turn off the TV posted:

the achievement for setting up public transportation lines includes a taxi. i do not understand how that would work

Maybe there's a park and ride component with rideshare logistics? I personally have taken an uber to a subway station before.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

How's traffic in vanilla? Still a pile of poo poo?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Anno posted:

As an aside, I wasn’t aware just how massively well this game has performed commercially. 12M sales and 27M players is more than all but a handful of games.

It released soon after SimCity released as a total dumpster fire and hyping people the gently caress up, so a ton of people were disappointed and desperate.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Eric the Mauve posted:

That... has absolutely nothing to do with why the SimCity series perished.

SimCity's death hopefully scared Cities into making a better game. Unfortunately, there really aren't any good city builders so I'm a bit concerned Cities 2 will just be Cities 1 but you have to buy it again. I will, obviously.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Macaluso posted:

Let me build underwater dome cities or space dome cities or a city in like Homer's land of chocolate. Go crazy with the city building imo

I do wish they had more interesting things, but I know it takes a ton of assets/dev time to do it. Each one should have a fun new mechanic/resource to manage and/or some weird things to deal with, like the Space Station doesn't allow immigration and pollution requires a special building to manage as it won't dissipate on its own. Mars allows immigration, but also has you try to contribute "Terraforming Units" or something. poo poo like that.

I mean, poo poo, they added the snow maps and added the heat pipes.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ihmemies posted:

Problem with city builders is also money, you are given infinite money and citizens have also infinite money. In reality cities are broke as gently caress and so are people, so there are limits on how much fancy poo poo and services you can have. While in games you can just handwave it all away and max everything without a thought. There is no challenge offered.

It also creates a system where a good city means there are no poor, uneducated people which is a little insane. You don't necessarily elevate poor, uneducated people either, you just kinda.... end up with only rich, educated people.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Entropic posted:

Someone made a map that looks like its own Steam workshop page.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2955787917

Wanna dam that big rear end river in the main photo

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Eric the Mauve posted:

In unmodded CS you don't actually have to build any industry at all once you've unlocked offices, and indeed should demolish all your industry as soon as you do.

I always refuse to do this and it always makes everything harder.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

turn off the TV posted:

your population going through major dips is normal if you zone residential really quickly. the people who move into new developments when they're built are very frequently young adults (or adults, i can't remember which). so if you zone a ton of residential at once, and expand quickly in general, you wind up with huge fluctuations in your population as people die of old age.

Yeah if you do things, idk, right you usually end up with a death wave later on and then you need to build a bunch of graveyards and crematoriums and poo poo and then you end up needing to get rid of most of them once all the pioneers are dust.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Koramei posted:

U-Drive It missions were SC4's greatest innovation and they've just been casually tossed aside

I remember breaking up a protest by flinging money out of a limousine and it not working

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Koramei posted:

I kinda hate it personally but I think they'd be silly to take the water sim out, it's probably the most notable part of the game for a huge chunk of the general audience.

I loved loving with the water in C:S. I don't think the water enjoyed being hosed with, though.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Have you considered turning those tidal waves into a method of bulk-deleting houses?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

oh cool there will be separate demand for different densities

I'm going to raise taxes on suburbanites into the high 20s. This is praxis.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It is recommended that players have 64-core supercomputers with an array of 4090s working in tandem, powered by the eldritch souls of comatose gods.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It does have that "American county" feel to see the gigantic pool of human poo poo haphazardly dumped into the nearest water supply

Anyways, lots of college towns have bike/walk paths as a high priority in city planning for a thousand reasons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

This game made me go back to Skylines 1, which is a pretty dang good game.