Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigseven
May 8, 2003

That was heavy.

Chewbot posted:

I suspect it would be a bit anticlimactic because the cars will never use anything but the outermost lane even if traffic is backed up for miles.
This Swindon Magic Roundabout knock-off says otherwise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigseven
May 8, 2003

That was heavy.

Chewbot posted:

Ooh, that is interesting. I wonder what makes them use the inner circle. It's plausible that it finds a shorter path through the middle of the roundabout than going around the outside and prioritizes that. It's big enough that some traffic will find shorter routes along the outside while others are shorter through the middle. I bet it holds up well in high density traffic!

A shorter path through the middle is exactly what happens. It is fun to look at, but I don't think it holds up as well as a non-roundabout interchange. (At least, for this particular design of it.) I think we'll need some more advanced road tools for setting right-of-ways and lanes to get it working well.

Here's what I replaced it with:

sigseven
May 8, 2003

That was heavy.

Breetai posted:

Could you give an example of this in situ in a functioning city? My head is spinning just looking at it.

The High Five in Dallas is pretty similar, except one of the highways is at an angle and goes under the surface streets instead. Plus some extra ramps for the HOV lane:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSaUAC7cbOY