Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

mrpwase posted:

Why not build Milton Keynes instead? :unsmigghh:

Milton Keynes was a mistake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I'm going to be really interested in the City Planner Plays tests over different builds. My machine is pretty sweet other than having a 1070 in it, and I'd like to know how much of a drag that's gonna be.

Alternatively I'll just play it for an hour and refund the fucker if it runs like poo poo

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
It seems like the review embargo has lifted, and mostly folks are having problems with it being a bit of a step back from fully fledged CS1

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

The Good Queen Clitoris posted:

There are a bunch of streams going up. I tuned into Biffa's stream for a bit and its kind of concerning he is running a 4090 @ 1440p with mostly medium settings and isn't able to get a solid 60 FPS.

CPP is having the same issues on the same setup on high, and that's with the Volumetrics and Depth of Field disabled (which was apparently recommended by CO) and was around 30FPS. It seems like weather is pretty brutal and overall performance is rough as expected.

He's just said that he has a video coming out on Saturday about it in detail but it'll run on most stuff (with settings teeaks), but expect to go a level of graphics down from where you usually do (eg if you usually expect 4k@60fps, expect 1440p@60 etc).

It's a hard GPU bottleneck, mainly around VRAM

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Well, that pretty much kills any idea of me playing this at launch.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Tatsuta Age posted:

is any of this because of like, the same problem CK3 had where obviously a brand new game isn't on day 1 gonna be as full as the previous game with 5+ years of DLC and enhancements

Yes a lot of it is that. I'm not surprised it's the case personally, but I also don't have any problems with reviewers going "this is horseshit and I don't want to play without XYZ from CS1"

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Yeah honestly, this just needed to eat a delay.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
CPP has mentioned that the performance video will be out late today because he's having to re-benchmark after the performance patch

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Raymond T. Racing posted:

When in doubt, 10AM PST.

Yeah the Steam release is pointing to this (or an hour before)

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I'm going to pick it up and if it runs like a dog, just get Steam to refund it. I think it's likely to be borderline and I'm gonna need that experience of how bad it chugs vs how dogshit lower settings look.

It sounds like turning Dynamic Resolution off might fix a lot of the grossness of lower settings.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Getting 15-25FPS on the 100k test map on my 1070 in the rain. It could definitely be worse, but I do also have the graphics turned down a fair amount.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Combat Pretzel posted:

Those chirpers are truly a representation of Twitter, right? I got people bitching about lovely healthcare while my medical clinic has gently caress-all to do and all my roads have good coverage by said clinic.

Cemetery efficiency 108% wat.

They're talking absolute bare poo poo, they've got no clue

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I think this is gonna be another one where it depends on what your definition of "running fine". I can handle getting 25FPS in this sort of game, especially on a 6+ year old card, but it's going to be really disappointing for someone on a current-gen monster to still have to make sacrifices.

They're going to definitely have to dedicate the next few weeks/months to performance improvements, but I wouldn't put too much stock in the review bombs. Try it for yourself, see if you're okay with the performance/graphics and if not, get a refund on Steam.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Holy gently caress, I know it's been said but low-density residential demand is insatiable

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
This is pretty exciting, especially as I’m currently working on a roughly French themed town

https://youtu.be/lFn1gm4iE1M?si=EV0nwHaO5J2qft2O

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Ms Adequate posted:

Man why does my game keep switching to loading the ultra low quality assets/textures/etc. and back to the good ones constantly, it's incredibly distracting

Do you have Dynamic Resolution on? That might be what's up

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
The option to just paint should be there for those who want it but no, count me in as needing the simulation

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Mad Wack posted:

CO Word of the Week 3 is out: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/co-word-of-the-week-3.1609760/

Bolding is mine - months to get out the bare bones maps and coding only editor release, with asset import somewhere beyond that. Embarassing.

Honestly, I'm glad their focus is where it is right now. Mod support etc is super important, but performance/bug fixes is more critical

E: its definitely embarrassing though

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Nitrousoxide posted:

You know, if they had just billed this as "early access" instead of pretending it was a finished release it would have undermined a lot of the anger about its state.

I guess the suits thought that might have undercut some profits this quarter or something?

Harder to justify DLC for a game in Early Access

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I think she’s a big detriment to the company and will probably end up having to step down if she continues this PR “strategy “

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Looks like the creator dam is starting to burst

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyPwbOEG0Lc

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Maybe Sweden should make her pass them off to someone else

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Tarnop posted:

Considering how hosed the game was at launch, they both come across like rubes for believing that the game was one patch away from being good

I mean, its hard to remember this now but before launch CO had a lot of good will with the whole community, especially the content creators. It was a fair bit naive but I can't blame them for believing them.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

buglord posted:

I get gamers are toxic dickheads but whhyyyy is she posting like this?

She's absolutely terrible at PR

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

HopperUK posted:

I have asked you to quit posting like this about this particular lady. You don't know her personally and the vibe of your posting about her is a bit weird. I'm going to ask you to just stop posting here about her. Talk about the game, talk about the things she posts, since I realise she is the main person posting on their blog. Do not talk about *her*. Thanks.

Just so we're clear, is it still okay to marvel at how dreadful she is at PR given that's effectively talking about the things she posts?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I'll give it to them, this is much more the kind of tone I wanted from their communications. A vast improvement.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Dwesa posted:

Yeah, I appreciate it, but so far they've not done enough for me to consider buying the game.

Oh definitely don't buy it yet. Give it another year at least.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Minenfeld! posted:

I noticed that shortly after. The RA2 store page is seemingly the only one in the bundle that lists the subscription as the only option. The other games show both. Problem for me is I only want RA2.

On the plus side, it's absolutely worth £7

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Well, that's sooner than I thought mods would show up from the nebulous 2024 date

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Thunderstore was a stopgap, and if the main community modders are supporting the official one then everything will move over

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

lagidnam posted:

City Planner Plays has a video showcasing the mod manager and the patch in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSWVBDEcVZ4

Edit: The Beach Properties DLC looks bad...

It's good to see the improvements in performance at least.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I saw the launch video for it, the map is honestly absolutely stunning

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
14 lanes? That's some proper LA sicko poo poo

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Lord Packinham posted:

While this is nice, it’s too little, too late, I don’t see how this is going to make a difference at this point. The game seems like it needed another year or more in the oven.

It's been out for 6 months. Honestly, another 6 months down the line it might be in a state where they could've released it.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Honestly, that's an amazing idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Biffa went through it too and yeah, it's a hell of a tool. Snap to surface is cool as hell