Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh, College..

Anyone else have a tremendous amount of injured/sick/dead at their College? I swear to god Hearses and Ambulances show up at this place more than the busses do.

I appreciate the authenticity! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah everyone I've tried to watch streaming this has hosed up audio and I think it's the sound gate clipping from the wind since they're outside using gaming headsets. Game looks good but real dumb PR gimmick lol

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm looking forward to playing this but the performance stuff sounds dire. I'm sure I'll be fine-ish with a 3080ti but either way I'm glad I'll be able to play it on gamepass first so I don't have to pony up to buy it right now.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Vahakyla posted:

I find it deeply hilarious that some goons will make their stand 43 American dollars, despite the game being something they've waited for. I don't really know what is being shown by this, or to who, by waiting to buy it but saying you buy it eventually. Like basic math tells me that if you spend the same money now or then, you get more value by having it earlier?

Buy the drat game. It'll run fine. And it'll look great going forward when your computers get better.

I find it even funnier that there's apparently goons out there who give a poo poo about how someone else is playing a game. Many of us have gamepass because we play games on gamepass and this happens to be a game coming to game pass so why the gently caress not try it there first? It's not like it's unheard of that a game I've looked forward to is enough of a mess at launch that I want to play it but not buy it at launch. Payday 3 is a pretty good example of a game I've patiently waited for like 6 years to play but decided to not preorder and wait to play it on gamepass and boy was that a smart move because that game is currently a bit of a mess.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I do also wonder if these people reporting the performance issues are using/have compared with how it is with DLSS. It's obviously not good if a game needs DLSS to run at a respectable fps but I think a lot of people assume using DLSS is already admitting fault of the game for not being properly optimized. If people are having issues running the game at 1440p above medium settings with DLSS on then yeah we might be heading to trouble town.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

turn off the TV posted:

DLSS does not seem to actually be implemented and there's apparently a bug where the game launches at your desktop's resolution and not the one you have it set to so people with 4k monitors saying that the game runs bad at 1440p are actually running it at 4k

Huh. Well that ain't good.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Vahakyla posted:

Buy the drat game. It'll run fine. And it'll look great going forward when your computers get better.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

lagidnam posted:

Right now the game only supports AMD FSR1.

:psyduck:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Dijkstracula posted:

since it seems like my autumn will not be full of C:S2, has anyone played Highrise City by comparison?

It's okay, but leans more into Anno style production chain management type stuff where you need lumberjacks to make planks to zone for RCI and that kind of thing. Higher class citizens want more varied goods which requires more production chains. UI is real rough and the game feels very indie in a lot of ways. There's a demo for it, which is all I've played of it. it gave me a good idea of what the game is and I kinda enjoyed it but not really enough to buy it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Been watching Sips play this on stream the last couple days and so far seems to be running fine but his city's still only around 20k pop which is apparently below where it starts to go to poo poo. I also have to assume he's got a 4090 or some such.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

MikeJF posted:

Is it a 57 gig download or a 57 gig disc footprint after the load has expanded itself? (If this is a game that does that)

My install folder says it's 56.6GB but it's hard to know if there's more to unpack that will only happen when it's out.

Edit: Hoping this is a game that'll let me play early if I do the ol' region switcharoo. Should be able to play tonight after 5 est if so.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 23, 2023

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Stuck at the office this afternoon, good luck to everyone attempting to play this today o7

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

turn off the TV posted:

game is unplayable until someone makes a mod that disables the talk radio segments

From watching Sips play it over the last couple of days it sure is annoying how often those repeat, sometimes literally playing the same skit twice in a row.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

5800X3D/3080ti, 1440p
Runs a bit like poo poo with default settings. Like 20-30 fps with a completely blank map. The settings change from a page or two ago helped, I can get 60-70 but there's somewhat regular hitches and it makes the fans in my PC go nuts. I can change the resolution to 1080p and get in the 80-90 range but... that sucks. The default AA is atrocious, changing that to TAA is a must.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Andrigaar posted:

On Gamepass so I see no way to display my FPS.

Win+G to open up the gamebar, on the performance window is a pin that you can check to keep it on screen after you close the gamebar.

Edit: Oh my god the zoning gets all sorts of hosed up when the grid is slightly misaligned

explosivo fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 24, 2023

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Man, the zoning alignment being so finnicky depending on I actually have no idea what is really annoying. Also yeah this VVVV

turn off the TV posted:

i like that when you go down to place above ground power lines the filter hides roads so that you can see the below ground powerlines in them, which also means that you can't see highways or railroads or other networks which makes actually placing them super difficult. also connecting above ground power lines to below ground power lines has some weird arbitrary minimum distance that can prevent you from connecting a power pole to a road directly beside it

Edit: real bad year for loving awful game launches.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Deltasquid posted:

OUR GOALS
With the upcoming patches, the situation will largely improve with default settings. It is worth mentioning that for a game like this, the performance target is to run at a steady 30FPS minimum. There is no real benefit in a city builder to aim for higher FPS (unlike a multiplayer shooter) as a growing city will inevitably become CPU-bound. What matters more with this type of game is to avoid stutters and have a responsive UI.

This is crazy, like right out the gate trying to temper people's expectations of even being able to hit 60 as a target.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Dang, that's a bookmark

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Any word when the gamepass version is getting that update? :smith:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I would love a way to set the start and end point of a road and drag the middle around however I want to bend it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It really feels likely this game's going to be broken open by modders in a good way whenever they release the tools for it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I turned off Chirper and the radio almost immediately and don't regret it at all based on what I've read about it itt

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

OddObserver posted:

I know how to turn off the radio (it's in the settings), but how does one turn off the Chirper?

Interface > Chirper Popups

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It's weird that the winter/snow lots are completely devoid of snow except for the roof of the building. Would be neat to see shoveled snowy paths around the college or big piles of snow in the parking lots.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Game's got me hooked blemishes and all; the road tools are great, I like the industry stuff but do wish the lots looked less lovely. My city is only around 13k or so but it's basically been nonstop growth since unlocking high density residential. Money does feel a bit inconsequential as long as you keep enough of a buffer to last you till the next level up; I imagine this gets harder when levels slow up but by then you're probably making a profit anyway.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

What the hell does the "Small Homes" debuff mean? Also why the gently caress is it so tedious to do anything with subways? Who thought this view made sense? I'm zoomed all the way in as far as I can go to try to get a better glimpse of what I'm doing down there but man it's difficult, especially when you have multiple stations all on different levels for some reason. Is there a way to easily see how deep a laid track is?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oooh the premade highway intersections are nice.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Grand Fromage posted:

Known bug. Just ignore it for now.

Oh that's good to know.

edit: vv :hmmyes: vv

explosivo fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 30, 2023

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

MikeC posted:

Instead, I am just sorta taking a look at what is being abandoned and rezoning it.

This is what I've been doing now that I have all the densities unlocked, if I see a house complaining about high rent I just replace the lot with the next highest density. Seems to be working pretty well.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I assume like every other major system that mail/mail sorting is fubar right now? I've got mail trucks sitting in the depot and tons of mail boxes not getting emptied!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

MikeC posted:

Confirmed by developers

almost certainly tied in to the same bug effecting the cargo/goods trading situation that also afflicts cargo ports and docks

Bleh. We don't even have the first update on gamepass yet :smith:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

What's your pop? I think there's eventually a breaking point where residential demand skyrockets, I'd say keep zoning CI to make more jobs and eventually it'll happen.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

lagidnam posted:

The 1.0.11f1 hotfix from last week has arrived on Game Pass.

Yaaay

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Michaellaneous posted:

Also...why are intersections locked behind this many points? I am not the best at designing those. Just make it... a point. Or something.

Unfortunately the only premade intersections you get are generally loving gigantic highway interchanges and not really ones you can plop in anywhere. They're very nice as gigantic highway interchanges but I was hoping for more variety. Looking forward to modders putting a bunch more in.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I built a technical university and a nice huge pedestrian area with parking spaces and whatnot and.. nobody drove in or parked anywhere but the school started filling up? I have bus lines and a subway but didn't build those until later. I have like a thousand+ people attending this school and the parking lot is completely empty. There is one on the lot itself that does have people parked there but it's certainly not enough cars for 1500 students plus employees. Did they all sneak in by foot or are the numbers being fudged here?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

sitchensis posted:

Agreed. The simulation depth is great, but it’s not showing up in a way that, visually or game mechanics wise, makes me care as a player.

See: my disappointment when I realized the sports stadiums are always completely empty.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I wish the modular additions were more flexible with placement, too. It would be nice to be able to place like the elementary school health building across the street, for example.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

funkymonks posted:

I’ve messed around a bunch but haven’t seriously started a game and plan to this weekend. Are people enjoying the progression mode at all or finding it frustratingly limited? I think I’m leaning towards starting with everything unlocked.

I think it's fine, it really doesn't take that long to get everything unlocked and in my experience I appreciate the slower ramp-up before things get too complex.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Antigravitas posted:

I actually want the Dark Souls of city builders. :colbert:

Workers and Resources

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Just now downloaded the latest patch on Gamepass, btw