Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I love how the motivations of residents don't match reality at all, but this game is a ton of fun. I am loving awful at traffic management and jacked up my buses and attempted metros, so it's just an LA-style nightmare of gridlock. So then I built a beach-front suburb with low density residential on the beach, then some highrise residential and a bit of commercial inset off the beach. This was then linked directly to the main avenue into the main city, thinking that the elite would flock to this area, because it's waterfront property away from the hellscape of the city streets. Instead a bunch of poor people moved in, because apparently a 20 minute commute from your damned beachfront property is too much for the rich people to handle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Fish Fry Andy posted:

It isn't, traffic isn't really a problem in this game unless you are making really poor decisions or don't care.

Traffic is mostly a self-inflicted wound for me, but it's funny to follow an AI truck that will suffer through 10 traffic lights in crammed traffic rather than take the bypass road I build that skips all the lights. The AI is overly averse to traveling a greater overland distance, even if it means the trip would be half as long time-wise.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Are you sure your roads are set up directly? My trucks will use higher speed, higher capacity roads rather than driving through residential neighborhoods unless they are going to save a significant amount of time by taking the shorter route.

It seems a bit odd. In one place, the trucks immediately switched to my bypass. Then I build pretty much the exact same style of bypass elsewhere and the only cars that seem to use it are utility vehicles like garbage trucks and hearses while the commercial trucks just sit in traffic all day, one block over.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I like when it looks like you're failing, but you're actually doing well in this game. All my industry and forestry suddenly started to poo poo the bed for lack of workers, despite all my efforts to get public transit over there and building a working cargo train to make up for my very antiquated road systems I built back when my 85,000 person city was a town of 5,000.

Finally I said gently caress it and just bulldozed over half my industry, plopped down some basic civil services and parks in the now empty area, then threw high density residential and office building zoning all over the place wantonly.

About 5 minutes later I'm looking at max level housing and offices, and my city's profit has doubled. I knew investing in a really solid educaitonal system would pay off one day :getin:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
This game needs a slider for how desirable neighboring lands are. Making neighbors super desirable would be hard mode for population growth. On the other hand, making the neighboring areas undesirable could do more than just make the game easy. It might make a totally resource starved, awful desert area tenable as a mad max/slum land. I want to have towns with staying residents who have to deal with terrible crime, fires, and limited job prospects but who are too hardcore and desperate to leave.

Once I play about with the map editor I may make a basically barren map with very limited resources and try to make a handful of teeny towns that connect for a tiny bit of trade.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

St Evan Echoes posted:

why i don't have a single bus route in my city: exhibit A

I want bendy buses just to troll my population.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I also want road trains. gently caress it, I guess I just want to build mad max cities after all.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

binhex posted:

Hey, so I made a map I thought people might enjoy. It's based of the height map data from Zion National Park (although I took some artistic liberties with highways + a train connection).

You start on the valley floor and have to expand to get up to the highlands surrounding the valley.

I really enjoy playing with the water in this game, so this was a fun map to make. Some good opportunities for dams etc in here.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410988108

The valley floor

A nice twisty river

Some of the highlands around the valley

An overview of the map

Emerald pools + waterfall

This looks cool as hell, thanks!

So what mod do I need to have more than a 3x3 grid for my cities?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Reason posted:

Want: Helicopter garbage pick up service. I think I have about 50/50 Garbage Trucks to everything else.

Let us export garbage via barge to some other state/city/nation.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Can't you (kind of?) do that if you zone high density and institute the No High Rise policy?

No, poo poo looks all cheerful and happy and if things get bad they just move out. I want downtrodden folk with no way out and nowhere to move to. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Whoever made that Zion map, thank you. It's really cool and chill for making valley cities and then putting elitist neighborhoods up top.