Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I hope they re-work some of the pathing AI so gaming :rimshot: the road system won't be necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Fish Fry Andy posted:

It isn't, traffic isn't really a problem in this game unless you are making really poor decisions or don't care.

I was referring to the sort of thing posted above where sliding a 2 lane road segment into a 6 lane road actually improves efficiency. This shouldn't be the case, obviously.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

zedprime posted:

I don't know if we have the same definition of obvious. Because after playing the game it becomes obvious you want as many lanes going into an intersection in a direction as there are coming out. Which the ideal set up takes into account, while the brute force method ignores the idea.

But what people are actually saying is you don't need to get that deep into it unless you want to. Its possible to make entirely functioning road systems without the perfect 6 lane trident.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you or the post we're referring to was saying, but it seems to me that if you just have a normal 6-lane road, only the outside lanes get used, even though it causes traffic to be backed up and cars could be taking the middle lanes to bypass turning traffic.

However, by inserting a 2 lane road, you force cars into the middle lanes first, which then move to the outside lanes when needing to turn.

This is a flaw in the AI, as the proper behavior should be that vehicles utilize the inside lanes (i.e. through-lanes) first and only use turn lanes when necessary, until such time that the through-lanes are congested which will quickly cause congestion on the turn lanes. This would be when your road has reached its actual capacity, where traffic couldn't be improved directly by fixing that particular stretch of road. That's what I mean by improved AI and gaming the system.

I get that it's not necessary and I've got some pretty lovely intersections and on/off ramps that magically work, but it would still be nice that roads would operate at maximum capacity without having to resort to weird tricks. One benefit is that a six-lane road actually becomes much more of an improvement over a 4-lane road than the current system, where they both end up using just the outside lanes and so the extra two lanes essentially become wasted (at least, in that particular scenario).