Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I'm sick of my song and I'm burning out on it :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Tayter Swift posted:

Noooooo! Don't give up, you still have a whole week left (plus the obligatory Rockstar Deadline Extension).

Alternative pants posted:

Disturbed ukulele. Wow.

:getin:

SlippyHat
May 25, 2003

Delicious!

Tayter Swift posted:

This happens to me every single time. Just yesterday I programmed out the drums and laid down some killer guitars for a song that I'm working on, and then working on the bass just killed the whole thing for me. Now it's horrible and awful and...

I just have to nurture it back to being awesome.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
I can work on a project for two weeks before it starts to feel tedious. If it ever stretches beyond that I almost always lose steam and move on to something else.

I've been one-and-a-half weeks on this one and thankfully it's almost finished. Vocals and arrangement done; about to start mixing. It's going to be a little bit of a slog though, just because my PC hits near maximum CPU just playing back at this stage, so I'm going to have to bounce most of the current arrangement down to audio before I can add any effects/processing plugs.

The Mystery Date
Aug 2, 2005
STRAGHT FOOL IN A GAY POOL (MUPPETS ROCK)

SlippyHat posted:

This happens to me every single time. Just yesterday I programmed out the drums and laid down some killer guitars for a song that I'm working on, and then working on the bass just killed the whole thing for me. Now it's horrible and awful and...

I just have to nurture it back to being awesome.

Same here, I usually just stop when I get tired of it and call it done, even though I usually have some refinements I thought of left to do.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I have an empty weekend. I will do this.

It's Love by King's X. Does that count? They were still heavy jesus praise when that album came out, and Jesus is Love and all that poo poo. Too far of a stretch?

Oh and the key to not burning out on a song - do it all in one session. The second you come back to it and start recording more tracks, you've killed it. (I am talking to myself in the previous statement)

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

magnificent7 posted:

Oh and the key to not burning out on a song - do it all in one session. The second you come back to it and start recording more tracks, you've killed it. (I am talking to myself in the previous statement)

This is so true. As soon as I had a song picked out I literally fired up Cubase at 0800, finished the vocals at 0945 and went straight to church. Couldn't sing at all, but I haven't really touched it since except for a bit of mixing.

One day left (barring the standard extension).

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Yeah, for me it's not so much doing it in one session as much as just not starting anything else. It usually takes me two or three days to record and mix everything once I start, but if I rehearse band stuff in the middle or spend too much time at the office, I stall out.

I'd be cool with that song for mag7's entry, if that counts for anything.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Which Rockstar is this, by the way? 63? 64?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
All right I got my second wind over the weekend and powered through it. Probably too sick of it to do any more work with it so here you go.

Original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqntaDXORPE

Cover: https://soundcloud.com/dumbledog/when-gods-collide

Things I learned:

* The basics of using a vocoder
* Doing vocals in my walk-in closet probably won't cut it, even for vocoding.
* My Sony 7506s are REAL BAD at judging bass. Gonna have to adjust for that.
* I'm not a fan of Ultrabeat in Logic, and the best drum machine I've found is still the Bilbao module in Korg Gadget.
* Testing small samples in Logic is a lot easier than I thought, tho.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Thought my track was ready for posting, but this morning my mix failed the car test hardcore. (Totally dominated by the low-mids... my monitoring environment must really suck.)

Should be able to get it remixed and posted before the day's out.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
If anyone wants an extension, I'm happy to let this go until the end of the week. I haven't done anything but come up with ideas, and I'm guessing that's as far as I'll get...

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
only need a 24 hour extension. Give or take 5 days.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Holy poo poo what a pain that mix was.

Here's my entry: Spirit Needs A Spirit Tool (His Name Is Alive cover)

And here's the original song.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Well poo poo, with an extension I may be able to salvage what I already lay down and maybe actually put it in my vocal range this time.

May.

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva
I'd like another chance to get something done as well.. No promises though. :(

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
If you're doing an extension, I might jump in as well.

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice
I just started tonight and its already a shitshow. A little extension would be nice!

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
How about an extension until Monday?

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Took advantage of the extension to re-record some vocals, improve how it sounds on earbuds and computer speakers (although it's still really intended for real/big speakers), and add a couple little flourishes I couldn't get in before the 1st deadline.

Just replaced the audio file on the SoundCloud track so the same link I posted Monday still works.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
gently caress recording music. I'm going to slink back into the shadows now.

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva
Yeah I failed once more, too.. Recorded some stuff but then I got sidetracked and it seems like it's not going to happen barring some miracle later today. :(

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice
Here's my entry.

Bluegrass cover of NIN's 'Heresy'

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
Aw crap, is it Monday already? I gave Pixies' "Monkey Gone to Heaven" a try but didn't feel like I had something to add to it that would justify the work.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Aaaand now I'm out of town for work until Saturday. If anyone feels like being the new thread baron, I bequeath it unto thee.

Otherwise, it'll have to be another extension because I sure as poo poo don't trust myself to make a soundcloud playlist from my phone.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Holy poo poo hang on - can we cover one of our own hits*?

* off of my multi-plastic grammy-aware 2005 release, UNH.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

I was out of town last week too, but I spent some time this evening compiling people's tracks and putting together a SoundCloud playlist.

The songs, in order of submission:

Alternative Pants: The World is a Thorn (Demon Hunter)

The Mystery Date: Like a Stone (Audioslave)

SlippyHat: Space Lord (Monster Magnet)

Koivunen: Hallelujah (Leonard Cohen)

CaptainViolence: Prayer (Disturbed)

Tayter Swift: When Gods Collide (Thor)

Radiapathy: Spirit Needs a Spirit Tool (His Name Is Alive)

Hawklad: Heresy (Nine Inch Nails)

The whole playlist is here.

If someone stumbled across this playlist without knowing the context, they'd think it was a compilation album from the most eclectic indie record label in the world.

EDIT: Really bummed Mag7 and Wuntvor didn't get a track in this round. I hope to hear more from both of them in future R-stars.

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 07:08 on May 4, 2015

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Holy poo poo, I love this so much

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I think this was a great showing and some really cool tunes came about for it. When's the voting thread going up?

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

If no one objects I'll try and put a voting thread together tonight in between getting blown away by tornadoes or swept away by floods. Are we putting those in NMD or ML?

Alternative pants fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 8, 2015

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I say NMD. Everyone in ML who wanted to hear it already has.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

If no one objects I'll try and put a voting thread together tonight in between getting blown away by tornadoes or swept away by floods. Are we putting those in NMD or ML?
Yeah probably NMD. Also, it might be best to wait until Monday to ensure the most people see it, or at least let voting go through Monday. Lots of folks don't do message boards on the weekend.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Voting thread is up!
I set the poll to run through next Friday, so we should get some good results.

SlippyHat
May 25, 2003

Delicious!
I suspect we were close to the only ones voting. :)

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

I think you may be right.

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007
That happened the first time we tried putting the thread in ML, too (maybe a couple years ago?). Seems like there isn't really a good place for it any more.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

If they don't wanna party, gently caress em. I'm learning new tricks everytime we do this, so it's a net gain for me even when it is just a hug box for the participants.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

SlippyHat posted:

I suspect we were close to the only ones voting. :)

Pretty much. The Musician's Lounge community is the most down-to-earth I know of, but SA's overall numbers seem to be dwindling, and the :10bux: requirement isn't helping either.

Reddit actually has some music-making subs with a lot of potential contributors and listeners and pretty enthusiastic communities- but due to the site design, it's a pretty nightmarish place to manage a contest unless you have some moderator support. (I think mods can at least make a thread sticky, but I don't know if they can prevent trolls from downvoting threads/submission comments out of existence). Reddit also can't do multiple-choice polls (even Yes/No polls are kind of a hack), so you'd have to use some off-site method for actual contest posts. You could maybe go by upvotes/downvotes, but that could really suck as well.

Gearslutz has a large user base, including many beginners and hobbyist types who would probably welcome a regular covers contest. They also have areas devoted to posting your own music, a bulletin board that supports voting, and they don't require people to pay 10 dollars in order to contribute. The downside is that they're not as chill as the average ML regular, although the real asswipes tend to stay out of the user-submitted music threads. Despite its (usually well-deserved reputation), if we stayed within the appropriate subforums I think it might be a viable place.

Any other suggestions for future Rockstars that would have both an enthusiastic community and a technical framework for managing a contest?

SlippyHat
May 25, 2003

Delicious!

If they don't wanna party, gently caress em. I'm learning new tricks everytime we do this, so it's a net gain for me even when it is just a hug box for the participants.

Yeah, I'm with you on this one. I get better with every single song that I do (though it's not always immediately apparent), and it's nice to have a forced deadline. So I'll keep participating even if there aren't many votes outside of the contributors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

I'm willing to give it a few more tries here before potentially jumping ship. We're only on round two of the reboot and it takes time to gain traction, especially when goons are involved.

• Locked thread