Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
You need to change the title to "The best goddamn music you'll ever loving hear you cocksucking gently caress sacks."

Even better: "We want your music reviews for our Canadian epic release on Geffen."

Or something.

Edit - you know what'd be even easier? Posting the songs on Youtube. Just make a video of your photo with the music as the background. Then create a playlist of all the clips. You'll see thumbs up on each track, comments, and stuff.

That's right. I'm all ideas, no delivery. Says so on every report card and yearly review.

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 14:27 on May 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Hawklad it's up to you now.

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice

Alternative pants posted:

Hawklad it's up to you now.

I was intrigued by the "everyone cover the same song" idea floated before the last round but worried that if it's not the right song it might limit participation. So maybe expand it to a single album or single artist/band? We did an Abba/Tool/Radiohead round a couple of years back, and a Bowie round that were both well-received. Something like that might draw some more attention in NMD.

So which band/album are the kids listening to these days?

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

Hawklad posted:

So which band/album are the kids listening to these days?
Pretty sure it's Garth Brooks in... The Life of Chris Gaines.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

I would say just pick an album off the top 40 and we recreate it.

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice

I would say just pick an album off the top 40 and we recreate it.

If we go the album route I'm thinking more iconic/classic/Influential. Thriller? Pet Sounds? Sgt. Peppers?

What sounds good/do-able?

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

Hawklad posted:

If we go the album route I'm thinking more iconic/classic/Influential. Thriller? Pet Sounds? Sgt. Peppers?

What sounds good/do-able?

Looking at the top-selling albums of all time, things I think I could actually do something with would be: Dark Side of the Moon, Saturday Night Fever, Rumours, Sgt. Pepper's, 1 (Beatles #1 hits), Abbey Road, Immaculate Collection (Madonna hits), Nevermind, Gold: Greatest Hits (ABBA), Like A Virgin, Joshua Tree, Purple Rain, Off the Wall- and holy poo poo Can't Slow Down.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Here's my vote for an album I realize it may be cheating.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Greatest Hits doesn't count as a classic album; it doesn't encompass that transition from one song into the next, the statement about where the artist's head was when they recorded it, etc. It's just "lots of big songs by this one artist." You don't get that deep-cut poo poo.

But it doesn't matter. You won't get everybody to agree on anything. Just pick it, and stick it.

My vote is either Thriller or George Michael's Faith.

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice
Okay sorry for the delay, I'm leaning towards Dark Side of the Moon, it's got a little something for everyone. Electronic, pop, prog, rock, psychadelic, etc. Unless I hear a better suggestion I'll put up a thread when I get a chance. Since there's only eight tracks we can't really call them exclusively but it would be good to get every track represented somehow.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Don't get me wrong. I love Pink Floyd and DSotM may be one of the best albums of all time, but given the experimental nature of some of the material I just don't see it working for covers. I like the idea of classic/influential albums, but I think if we do that we have to narrow our gaze a bit and go more toward the commercially palatable end of the spectrum and hit the conventional rock or pop. Also I'd rather have a surplus of material to choose from and not have anyone feel left out. Just my two cents.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Don't get me wrong. I love Pink Floyd and DSotM may be one of the best albums of all time, but given the experimental nature of some of the material I just don't see it working for covers. I like the idea of classic/influential albums, but I think if we do that we have to narrow our gaze a bit and go more toward the commercially palatable end of the spectrum and hit the conventional rock or pop. Also I'd rather have a surplus of material to choose from and not have anyone feel left out. Just my two cents.
corporate rock sellout right here.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
Gotta concur with Alternative Pants here. I think it would make more sense to do an album that's less a capital-A Album and more just a solid collection of tunes. Also, I'd prefer an album where we could actually hope to better the material. That would be one benefit of doing e.g. a Taylor Swift album, for sure.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

magnificent7 posted:

corporate rock sellout right here.

FYGM old man! We can throw down in 7/4 anytime.

E:If you want non corporate music, I'll go Sun Ra on you.

Alternative pants fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 28, 2015

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

FYGM old man! We can throw down in 7/4 anytime.

E:If you want non corporate music, I'll go Sun Ra on you.

I eat pieces of 7/4 for breakfast.

But seriously, this debate could go on forever with no shits given. Pick a theme and move on. Don't care if it's one album, or songs about doodoo pics in my photo album. How about take a lovely cover and loving make it better than the lovely people who covered it. GREAT WHITE's Once Bitten comes to mind. They needed to all die in that fire.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

magnificent7 posted:

They needed to all die in that fire.

Never have I gone from wanting to argue to being in complete agreement so fast.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Never have I gone from wanting to argue to being in complete agreement so fast.
So there you go. Cover a cover version that made it to Billboard's top, ten? twenty? How obscure do you want to go?

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice
Sorry guys I've been a total slacker picking a new theme. Next round starts tomorrow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Hawklad posted:

Sorry guys I've been a total slacker picking a new theme. Next round starts tomorrow!

Like. Tomorrow tomorrow? Or more like, in a decade tomorrow? Or neverland tomorrow.

Because, come on. I've been hugely active in these things, and... umm.

lurk.

HEY WAIT WHAT
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3724048&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post446173007

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jun 5, 2015

• Locked thread