Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Alternative Pants posted:

I'm actually already done with The World is a Thorn by Demon Hunter... DAMMIT CST GIVE US THE THREAD.
Here's a rough mix. I still have to do some leveling and add more guitars and fix the vocals in a few places.

May I just say, drop tuning Floyd Rose equipped guitars sucks.

Alternative pants fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

The World is a Thorn... Might want to actually post the track...

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Radiapathy posted:

I think I'm gonna do Spirit Needs A Spirit Tool by His Name Is Alive.

Glad to see some familiar names posting here.

I always love your entries. Hopefully it won't take too much to get back to having a dozen entries every round.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Radiapathy posted:

Thanks, and the feeling's mutual!

I think I might not have actually finished a complete track since my last Rockstar entry over a year ago? Having Rockstar deadlines (fluid though they may be) was a huge creative motivation for me. Without some kind of goal I end up starting project after project, but hardly ever finishing anything.

I know the feeling. I've got a ton of sketches and chord sheets written out but only one or two completed tracks.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Didn't soundcloud use to have a way to upload new files into an existing track as an update?

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Radiapathy posted:

If you have one of the pro plans, you can edit your track and replace the audio file. Is that what you mean?

Yeah. I guess they gave me a free trial of pro a while back because I know I did it with one of my regular demos.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

T-15 days and all quiet on the western front...

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

I can't really complain at anyone except myself. I got all excited about the theme and had my entry pretty much finished before the thread was even up.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Radiapathy posted:

Also, definitely keep the cat.

Agreeing with this. I have my (now long dead) dog barking starting at around 37s in this old demo.

Kinda cool being able to still hear her now.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

CaptainViolence posted:

Now I just gotta totally blow it with the mix. :v:

In all honesty, this is one of the reasons I love doing this. I'm still far from brilliant at recording and mixing, but the feedback I've gotten has produced a definite improvement from when I was sitting in a dorm room running my guitar into a cheap pedal board directly into my mixer. Speaking of, that could be something fun: Take an older entry, redo it and make an album out of that.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

CaptainViolence posted:

Here's my cover of Prayer by Disturbed! Now I can catch up on listening to the other entries.

Disturbed ukulele. Wow.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

magnificent7 posted:

Oh and the key to not burning out on a song - do it all in one session. The second you come back to it and start recording more tracks, you've killed it. (I am talking to myself in the previous statement)

This is so true. As soon as I had a song picked out I literally fired up Cubase at 0800, finished the vocals at 0945 and went straight to church. Couldn't sing at all, but I haven't really touched it since except for a bit of mixing.

One day left (barring the standard extension).

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

If no one objects I'll try and put a voting thread together tonight in between getting blown away by tornadoes or swept away by floods. Are we putting those in NMD or ML?

Alternative pants fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 8, 2015

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Voting thread is up!
I set the poll to run through next Friday, so we should get some good results.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

I think you may be right.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

If they don't wanna party, gently caress em. I'm learning new tricks everytime we do this, so it's a net gain for me even when it is just a hug box for the participants.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

I'm willing to give it a few more tries here before potentially jumping ship. We're only on round two of the reboot and it takes time to gain traction, especially when goons are involved.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Hawklad it's up to you now.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

I would say just pick an album off the top 40 and we recreate it.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Here's my vote for an album I realize it may be cheating.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Don't get me wrong. I love Pink Floyd and DSotM may be one of the best albums of all time, but given the experimental nature of some of the material I just don't see it working for covers. I like the idea of classic/influential albums, but I think if we do that we have to narrow our gaze a bit and go more toward the commercially palatable end of the spectrum and hit the conventional rock or pop. Also I'd rather have a surplus of material to choose from and not have anyone feel left out. Just my two cents.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

magnificent7 posted:

corporate rock sellout right here.

FYGM old man! We can throw down in 7/4 anytime.

E:If you want non corporate music, I'll go Sun Ra on you.

Alternative pants fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

magnificent7 posted:

They needed to all die in that fire.

Never have I gone from wanting to argue to being in complete agreement so fast.

• Locked thread