Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
I think I'm gonna do Spirit Needs A Spirit Tool by His Name Is Alive.

Glad to see some familiar names posting here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Alternative pants posted:

I always love your entries. Hopefully it won't take too much to get back to having a dozen entries every round.

Thanks, and the feeling's mutual!

I think I might not have actually finished a complete track since my last Rockstar entry over a year ago? Having Rockstar deadlines (fluid though they may be) was a huge creative motivation for me. Without some kind of goal I end up starting project after project, but hardly ever finishing anything.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Didn't soundcloud use to have a way to upload new files into an existing track as an update?
If you have one of the pro plans, you can edit your track and replace the audio file. Is that what you mean?

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

I'm about 25% there. Hoping to finish the arrangement today. Will record the vocals in the coming week, and then it's all mixing after that.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Koivunen posted:

I did the piano and vocs for the two first verses. Piano sounds like poo poo, when I record, it sounds spot on, but when I play back it is off tempo.
If it's consistently off tempo (like always behind the exact same amount), that could just be a latency issue and you can fix it post-recording by just shifting the audio clips on your timeline. (Or you could possibly be recording with record quantize enabled, which can mess up your timing on playback if you weren't trying to follow the metronome/grid exactly when you played).

What program are you using to record (Ableton Live, Audacity, etc)?

ALSO: Mostly finished my arrangement last night. It's pretty close to what I had in my head before I started working on it, so at least it feels like I'm on the right path. Just hope I don't f*ck it up on the vocals.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Koivunen posted:

I will look into that, thanks for the tip. I use Avid Vocal Studio which isn't the best program for fine-tuning. I play with the metronome, and the program is rather strict on how far it allows you to shift audio clips before auto-pasting it to the next bar. I'm sure there's a technical term to describe it but I don't know what it is.
I'm not familiar with any Avid software, but there's usually a "snap to grid" feature that will result in the behavior you're describing (of not being able to shift clips exactle where you want).

Also, definitely keep the cat.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

I can work on a project for two weeks before it starts to feel tedious. If it ever stretches beyond that I almost always lose steam and move on to something else.

I've been one-and-a-half weeks on this one and thankfully it's almost finished. Vocals and arrangement done; about to start mixing. It's going to be a little bit of a slog though, just because my PC hits near maximum CPU just playing back at this stage, so I'm going to have to bounce most of the current arrangement down to audio before I can add any effects/processing plugs.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Which Rockstar is this, by the way? 63? 64?

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Thought my track was ready for posting, but this morning my mix failed the car test hardcore. (Totally dominated by the low-mids... my monitoring environment must really suck.)

Should be able to get it remixed and posted before the day's out.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Holy poo poo what a pain that mix was.

Here's my entry: Spirit Needs A Spirit Tool (His Name Is Alive cover)

And here's the original song.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Took advantage of the extension to re-record some vocals, improve how it sounds on earbuds and computer speakers (although it's still really intended for real/big speakers), and add a couple little flourishes I couldn't get in before the 1st deadline.

Just replaced the audio file on the SoundCloud track so the same link I posted Monday still works.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

I was out of town last week too, but I spent some time this evening compiling people's tracks and putting together a SoundCloud playlist.

The songs, in order of submission:

Alternative Pants: The World is a Thorn (Demon Hunter)

The Mystery Date: Like a Stone (Audioslave)

SlippyHat: Space Lord (Monster Magnet)

Koivunen: Hallelujah (Leonard Cohen)

CaptainViolence: Prayer (Disturbed)

Tayter Swift: When Gods Collide (Thor)

Radiapathy: Spirit Needs a Spirit Tool (His Name Is Alive)

Hawklad: Heresy (Nine Inch Nails)

The whole playlist is here.

If someone stumbled across this playlist without knowing the context, they'd think it was a compilation album from the most eclectic indie record label in the world.

EDIT: Really bummed Mag7 and Wuntvor didn't get a track in this round. I hope to hear more from both of them in future R-stars.

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 07:08 on May 4, 2015

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

If no one objects I'll try and put a voting thread together tonight in between getting blown away by tornadoes or swept away by floods. Are we putting those in NMD or ML?
Yeah probably NMD. Also, it might be best to wait until Monday to ensure the most people see it, or at least let voting go through Monday. Lots of folks don't do message boards on the weekend.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

SlippyHat posted:

I suspect we were close to the only ones voting. :)

Pretty much. The Musician's Lounge community is the most down-to-earth I know of, but SA's overall numbers seem to be dwindling, and the :10bux: requirement isn't helping either.

Reddit actually has some music-making subs with a lot of potential contributors and listeners and pretty enthusiastic communities- but due to the site design, it's a pretty nightmarish place to manage a contest unless you have some moderator support. (I think mods can at least make a thread sticky, but I don't know if they can prevent trolls from downvoting threads/submission comments out of existence). Reddit also can't do multiple-choice polls (even Yes/No polls are kind of a hack), so you'd have to use some off-site method for actual contest posts. You could maybe go by upvotes/downvotes, but that could really suck as well.

Gearslutz has a large user base, including many beginners and hobbyist types who would probably welcome a regular covers contest. They also have areas devoted to posting your own music, a bulletin board that supports voting, and they don't require people to pay 10 dollars in order to contribute. The downside is that they're not as chill as the average ML regular, although the real asswipes tend to stay out of the user-submitted music threads. Despite its (usually well-deserved reputation), if we stayed within the appropriate subforums I think it might be a viable place.

Any other suggestions for future Rockstars that would have both an enthusiastic community and a technical framework for managing a contest?

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Hawklad posted:

So which band/album are the kids listening to these days?
Pretty sure it's Garth Brooks in... The Life of Chris Gaines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Hawklad posted:

If we go the album route I'm thinking more iconic/classic/Influential. Thriller? Pet Sounds? Sgt. Peppers?

What sounds good/do-able?

Looking at the top-selling albums of all time, things I think I could actually do something with would be: Dark Side of the Moon, Saturday Night Fever, Rumours, Sgt. Pepper's, 1 (Beatles #1 hits), Abbey Road, Immaculate Collection (Madonna hits), Nevermind, Gold: Greatest Hits (ABBA), Like A Virgin, Joshua Tree, Purple Rain, Off the Wall- and holy poo poo Can't Slow Down.

• Locked thread