Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Also the wording used in the bible is a little ambiguous on exactly what the crucifixion took place on, so claiming that they're stupid for thinking it was a stake rather than a cross is a bit silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

AGirlWonder posted:

From my understanding, JWs don't think it was a crucifixion at all. That's where I have a hang-up: What sources claim otherwise? I've never heard that he was executed in any other way.

They believe he was crucified on a stake rather than a cross, which is in keeping with one of the potential meanings of the Greek used in the New Testament. Stauros can mean both stake and cross, and it's a matter of some academic debate among theologians that Christ might have had the single stake. It's hardly a heretical or particularly odd viewpoint - it's a mere matter of translation and semantics. JWs don't say 'there was no crucifixion, period' they say, 'they used a stake, not a cross. It's in the bible.' which is true with some translations and interpretations. There are enough significant theological differences that 'stake vs cross' is pretty unimportant and a bit silly to choose as the sign the JWs are weird.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
A lot of small Masonic temples take the same route for the same reasons. It's cheaper and it keeps the vandals out.

• Locked thread