Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Captain Mog posted:

How do they respond when confronted with factual evidence that proves their beliefs wrong? Like for instance, they insist Jesus was impaled on a "torture stake". This is just flat out wrong and can be easily refuted by referring to the Bible, which mentions "two spikes" being put in his hands (I haven't read it in a while but it's a scene in Matthew I believe when the Disciples check Christ's wounds to confirm it is him). I cannot fathom the mental hurdles one must go through to ignore this kind of evidence, it's astounding how naive some people can be.

And no I'm not a fedora-wearer atheist- I'm actually a liberal gay Christian- but there is literal evidence what the JW's preach is harmful bullshit and little of them seem to care.

The Bible is not really a factual, unbiased source dude. It's like "clearly your unsourced anecdote from 2000 years ago is wrong, this OTHER unsourced anecdote from 2000 years ago says so!!!!!!!"

Benne posted:

Some might even call it cultish.

Now who would say such a thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

To what degree would you consider JW to be predatory on people with emotional problems? Like is the average JW member noticeably desperate for community / belonging or otherwise codependent with the organization?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Sanzio037 posted:

No beards? Well count me out of joining up. Gosh darn it, this sounded like the group for me too.

I believe the Old Believers take converts

quote:

Old Believers consider the shaving of one's beard a severe sin. This is due to the so-called iconographic thinking of Orthodoxy: Christ had a beard and men ought to have the same appearance

• Locked thread