Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phaeoacremonium
Aug 7, 2008
Not a question so much as a remark on someone bringing up those literature kiosks earlier in the thread. I see two of those stationed on the sidewalk in my town every weekend, on the route that most people use to get to the station. Easy pickings, I guess. I also assume that the JW in my town have stopped house visits completely and now just kind of bother passers-by at the moment. They're not particularly aggressive, which is nice compared to the regular screaming street preachers and crazed dvd-wielding Korean evangelists.

A couple of years ago, my friends a few blocks up the road got a four-page handwritten rambling account by a JW in their mailbox. I received the same thing a few months later. It must have been some kind of attempt to witness to the unbeliever without having to do the house to house thing. It must have taken ages to write out every individual letter and was more than a little odd. Has anyone else ever heard of this, or is it something unique to the very tiny JW minority in a country where it may be dangerous to go house to house, especially on one's own?

Phaeoacremonium fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Apr 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phaeoacremonium
Aug 7, 2008

mrlego posted:

The kiosks are a new thing I've noticed as well. Easy way to get the hours in while chatting with fellow JW's.

A handwritten manifesto sounds really fishy to me. It could be one of the crazy JW's that has nothing better to do. Ramblings wouldn't be allowed to be given out (I think). What country is this?

South Africa. It was really, really odd.

I haven't seen a JW going house to house in many years, but my folks still get them so the tradition is not entirely dead in our country. However, my parents live in a seaside town monstly populated by old people, so it's probably a friendlier place to do house visits in.

Phaeoacremonium
Aug 7, 2008
See that makes perfect sense under the circumstances.

Coincidentally, the letter-writer turned out to be the only JW I've ever met (it really is a very small minority here), a girl I knew at University. She spent her entire first year hanging out with the only Muslim in our residence, bonding over religious resentment toward the rest of us and our hard-partying, sex-having ways. Her bizarre attitude makes more sense now that I've read this thread.

• Locked thread