Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precto
Oct 21, 2010

Captain Bravo posted:

Wait, what?

Also, can minors be "disfellowshipped"? Like, if a 17 year old child of two Jehovah's Witnesses pulls some unforgivable stuff, what happens?

Former Jehovah's Witness here too.

When I was 14 years old, I expressed interest in Civil War Reenactments. I instantly got pulled to the side by the Elders and they had a long conversation with me about the evils of murder, even if faked or done with history in mind. Which ended with threats of disfellowshipping if I continued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precto
Oct 21, 2010

Darth Freddy posted:

So what would happen if your door to door group ran into the Mormons door to door group. Would it be a preach off? Would it be a sharks and jets style brawl in my front lawn?

Seriously though this had been a great thread to read.

I don't really know how it was for other congregations but we were always told to respect others. Essentially, as long as someone worships Jehovah, they're on the right path. Even though door to door work is basically for covert conversions, it was officially treated as education for God fearing Christians on how the world was going to progress in the future. Mormons, while ironically often seen as a cult by Jehovah's Witnesses, are somewhat respected for also spreading the word of God to the rest of the world in the same fashion JWs do. It's a 'their heart is in the right place' kind of thing and they should be pitied, not disliked.

A little off topic but for a good part of my door to door work, I lived in North Carolina. There, door to door work was awesome. You'd only end up visiting about one house in a 4 hour period because they'd invite you inside and you'd end up chatting about nothing and drinking sweet tea and eating watermelons the entire time. When my family moved up north, door to door work became among the most hellish things that could happen on your Saturdays after the morning cartoons aired.

precto
Oct 21, 2010

Keith Atherton posted:

If you wanted to could you just show up at a service as a non-JW?

Yes. You'll be surrounded by people shaking your hand and being super nice to you. And the Elders will probably approach you and invite you to a dinner and bible study. You'll probably get introduced to just about everyone there. As long as you're not disfellowshipped, they'll do a lot to get you to keep coming back.

precto
Oct 21, 2010

Qu Appelle posted:

Also - do the JWs have any type of food restrictions? I find that to be a fascinating part of any religion, what the followers can and cannot consume, and why.

Anything made of blood. If you ate meat, it had to be slaughtered in a way that the blood was drained, which is pretty much how most livestock are slaughtered. So, as an American, there's been no difference in my diet from before being a JW and after.

precto
Oct 21, 2010

mrlego posted:

In the last 45 minutes there were demonstrations on stage where one person would play the householder and the other the witness and they would rehearse approaching people on the street or in their house and how to sell the latest headline in the Watchtower and Awake magazines.

It probably should be noted that this was the only thing women could do in meetings. All other services had to be hosted by a man or, in the case of the bible readings, a young boy. The demonstrations are often dominated by the women since it was the only thing they could participate in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precto
Oct 21, 2010

Jack Gladney posted:

How do the JWs keep grownups? Attrition is apparently a huge problem for Mormons.

Color me wrong but I remember seeing a figure somewhere where the largest proportion of converts for Jehovah's Witnesses come from single women who have previously had a divorce. Either way, attrition is an issue for JWs, at least for the men, oddly enough. There's something like a 70/30 split of female to male ratio in nearly all age groups over 18 years old. If you're a young. single JW guy, you pretty much have your pick of which lady you want to get married to. And that's how they try to lock in men. Get them married to a JW bonnie blue lass and she'll force them to stay active in the congregation. It was attempted on my father, a non-JW, and was fairly successful until the spat that led to our family leaving.

• Locked thread