Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
What do JWs think of Jews? When I was about fifteen, I was walking around town and an old guy offered me a copy of the Watchtower. I said "No thanks, I'm Jewish." His eyes lit up. "Jewish!!" he exclaimed. Then - without any further discussion - he started quoting the Torah at me, with book and verse references, to try to prove to me that Jesus was the foretold Messiah. His grasp of the Torah was way better than mine. I didn't debate with him because I was totally outclassed and also a teenager, so I just walked away. I've heard that some proselytising denominations consider Jews untouchable and avoid trying to convert them, because they think we're already saved, just a different sort of saved; others consider us to be more valuable as converts than other religions, like one Jew is worth two Catholics in conversion currency or something; and still others think that we're actually worse than other religions and will suffer more for it in the afterlife, because we've been given the word about Jesus and chosen to ignore it. Do JWs as a whole have any particular opinion?

Also, how do JWs celebrate Passover? I did an internship working for a lady who was raised in the Witnesses, but none of her family were in the community anymore and I didn't feel comfortable asking her much about it. One thing she did say was that they celebrate Passover rather than Easter, but when I described a Jewish Passover she said it was nothing like what she'd experienced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
What? No charoset?!

Oy gevalt!

• Locked thread