Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I've read a few things, but what is the JW stance on voting and lobbying? Like, participating in political processes? I've heard they're pretty down on it.

I know Xmas and birthdays are out; is there anytime when it's okay to celebrate as a JW? Or is it more of a "Jesus hates happiness" kind of thing?

Benne posted:

--Organ transplants haven't really come up in my personal experience or local area, but I've heard it's a thing on occasion. Basically it's more of a "case by case" thing where they're willing to overlook it if, say, a beloved elder needs a new kidney.
That sounds... really lovely.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Keith Atherton posted:

The Kingdom Hall I'm talking about redid their exterior and roof a couple years ago and it was impressive as hell. It was a big project and they got it finished in a week. It reminded me of an Amish barn raising.

What are services like? I went to a Mormon Sunday service in high school and was surprised that it wasn't much different than the generic Protestant services I'd grown up with.

Edit: ^^^^ North Seattle is white as hell and LOTS of black people go to this church.
I feel like most of the JWs I see handing out literature around Seattle are black. There are two of us, so that makes it data, right?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Qu Appelle posted:

Speaking of the Seattle JW Scene - I've seen groups of people passively standing by 5 foot tall kiosks with literature, just waiting for people to approach them. Always in the same places, too - Rainier and Edmonds, in front of SCCC, Pine between 3rd and 4th, the ID by Uwajimaya. I've just seen this in the past year or so; is this a new type of prostelyzing that's on top of the door knocking? Or, are they moving to this mode instead of door knocking or other forms of outreach?

Also - do the JWs have any type of food restrictions? I find that to be a fascinating part of any religion, what the followers can and cannot consume, and why.
I think they target the light rail stations (thus being outside the Westlake one, and I've seen them outside the University Street Station, too).

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

AGirlWonder posted:

The LDS Church in SLC is currently supporting a law against housing discrimination for LGBT people. It's kind of nice.

Also, they already believe that the Gospels have been mistranslated and only restored by Joseph Smith, Jr.'s translation, so I feel like that argument wouldn't go far.
Yeah, after they got burned by the whole "no black priests" thing, then burned by the Catholic Church on the Prop 8 thing, they've apparently learned their lesson and decided to get out in front of the gay thing while they still can.

Excuse me, I mean "God has given them Revelation on the gay thing."

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Is anyone in here an actual practicing JW? And if so, how do you make that copacetic with being on SA?

• Locked thread