Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

What was the breaking point where you realized this whole thing was a sham and you needed to get out?

I'm always interested in this stuff. I was raised in a roman catholic household but my dad's side of the family was lutheran. A lot of the roman catholic rhetoric bothered me and having heavy exposure to the Lutheran Philosophy that you arent going to hell for every little thing you do wrong didn't help and by my teen years it just became impossible to reconcile the differences despite being based on the same book so I just gave up religion altogether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

icantfindaname posted:

The Bible is not really a factual, unbiased source dude. It's like "clearly your unsourced anecdote from 2000 years ago is wrong, this OTHER unsourced anecdote from 2000 years ago says so!!!!!!!"

Pretty much this. Despite what any religious person might tell you there's no definitive version of the bible known to exist. The whole protestant movement started up due to the fact that people found versions of the bible older than the vulgate (the offical roman catholic version) and that there were discrepancies when translated, it didn't help that somebody determined the vulgate was revised as late as the 5th century and the printing press proliferated at that time. I sort of quietly chuckle to myself when you hear a pastor/preacher claiming the King James is the only version you should read and all others are sent to by the devil.

Thought up another question though I don't know how much you can elaborate on it. Do you know anything about Prince's conversion? Was he a sort of celebrity in the JW community and/or held up as an example of the power of door knocking?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Cowslips Warren posted:

I'm guessing the JWs are not down with the gays?

I would guess no based on Prince's rants a while ago.

• Locked thread