Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
How is divorce viewed among JW? How rare is it?

Would a divorce be encouraged if a spouse became 'disfellowshipped'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

As we see with other ultra-conservative and sheltered religions (thinking of the Amish), were there many members that hit 18 and went totally loving wild?

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Is there much diversity with the JW, and further more, were any at the level of 'elder'? We use to have a very kind elderly black lady that would come to our door handing out the watchtower and wanting to talk, but beside her every JW I knew was white as the fallen snow.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

I just learned yesterday my JW co-worker was once disfellowship-ed, but not long ago kissed enough rear end to make it back in. The reason she was kicked out? Her JW husband at the time was cheating on her so she filed for divorce. Since he was a higher-up, she was the one to be disfellowshiped , causing at least one other JW co-worker to leave the company so to avoid her. So she suffered not only the pain of a cheating husband, but then being treated like the plague by others, including some of her family. She is a very intelligent woman in her 40's and even through all this believes JW is the right path. It really blows my mind.

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 2, 2015

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Drighton posted:

I remember hearing it touted that JW's who are disfellowshipped or leave very rarely get involved with other religions.

Does this really happen with any religion though? I've known people who switch which 'flavor' of Christian they are, but I can't think of many (who really believed it to begin with) who said "this whole thing is BS. Welp, I'm off to find another organized religion"

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

What would happen if a member were to get caught or confess to a problem such as drug addiction? Would they be offered support, or shunned?

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

I was more curious what would happen if someone literally said "hey, I have made some terrible decisions and I'm hooked on (drug of choice), and I need help". I would like to think any religion would be supportive, but groups that believe in shunning are so backwards I wouldn't be surprised either way. I also have the feeling it matters how well off (or connected) the person is as to how much support he receives.

Being born in the early 80s, I remember D&D panic. It's mind blowing that it's 'notoriety' is still talked about anywhere. Especially considering all the boogeymen out there now (pokemon, harry potter....THE INTERNET)

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 9, 2015

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

To my understanding, it all originates with one single incident in the early 80s where one mentally ill kid killed or hurt another while playing. The media tied this one incident into the existing satanic panic and took off from there.

E; vvv Thanks! I just made a post in the "recommend me" thread about this

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Just thought of another one. Where I currently live, I've had 2 different JW's come to my door in a total of probably 4 years. But each of those times, they were a smokin hot chick that seemed to be by themself. Both of them also handed me a watchtower and said something along the lines of "here read over this, if you are interested our contact information is on the back", talking further than this was not something they even tried.

My question is, how common is one going alone? Are lovely/dangerous places given as punishment, or is it just luck of the draw? I live in a decent rural area, but most houses are rather isolated. I was surprised as gently caress they sent a pretty woman by herself to knock on strangers doors in the middle of nowhere where residences range from 6 figure farmhouse to RV setting on blocks.

• Locked thread