Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

Why are JWs so interested in converting deaf people? Ever since I was little, I've had them show up with either a person who knows ASL or a portable DVD player (later tablets) with an ASL video, sometimes both. That typically means that they drove out to just talk to a 10 year old deaf kid :confused: right after the visit, I'd call my buddy who lived in the same town to not answer the door anytime soon. She did the same for me too. Eventually my parents would make me come to the door instead of hiding.

I knew that they got my address back then from my deaf school's parents guide but they just found me again I HAVE NO IDEA HOW. I live in a gated community and they knew my name/address so they just came for me because I was deaf and had the correct details. The guard called when they came in so I just got someone else to answer the door while I hid. Guess old habits die hard :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

They just came again :cry:

The guard at the gate didn't call ahead so I had no idea and didn't think about asking to be put on the do not disturb list while I told them that I was very sick and not up for a talk. They left without a fuss but now I'm kicking myself for forgetting about the list :(

Chewed out the gate too for letting them in without telling us or heck, just getting approval. I don't know where the deaf ones come from, can I just call the local Kingdom Hall and tell them to put me on the do not disturb list if they share it with others in the area? I'd rather not wait until they come again to ask to be put on the list but I don't want to call in vain either if they're coming from a different area so being on the list for my city wouldn't work.

Sorry, I'm just still freaked out about the surprise visit. Living in a gated community means that I don't get people at the door for bullshit stuff and it'd be one thing if they were just canvassing the area but... they personally drove out here to talk to me.

Help me :saddowns:

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

mrlego posted:

I think when special preaching groups like Chinese or deaf congregations get a "lead" to witness to one of their own, they might be a bit overzealous in preaching. There is one or a few Kingdom Halls where these special groups meet in your city. So being put on the regular do not call list in your territory might not stop the special deaf group house calls. Nut up and tell them your wishes when they visit next. If you are firm, this should be the last you hear from them for a while.1

Yeah, I just don't like waiting for them to come again.

I whined about this on my Facebook and there's already 15 comments about address mining/JWs hounding deaf people. Apparently a video relay company either sold addresses or had JW staff give them to the local Kingdom Halls a while ago. I last had one of their devices over 10 years ago at a different address so that's not the case for me currently.

Others have mentioned that the people who showed up said they were told about a deaf person living at their address. One of my friends had someone in her apartment complex tell them that there was a deaf person even when she wasn't affiliated with anything local deaf-related in the small town she was currently living in. Another one said they got them to stop coming to her home but then they started going to her work instead when they found out that there was a deaf person there and their manager had to threaten them to never come back.

I don't understand why they care so much about recruiting deaf people and go out of their way to do so. Sure, they do manage to convert some of them but like 90% of the deaf people I know flinch when I mention JW visits.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

I never thought of it that way and it sort of makes me feel a little less freaked by the whole thing, I guess.

And yeah, definitely going to have a talk with the gate about not letting in people without my consent.

Thank you :)

• Locked thread