Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Thanatosian posted:

I've read a few things, but what is the JW stance on voting and lobbying? Like, participating in political processes? I've heard they're pretty down on it.

I know Xmas and birthdays are out; is there anytime when it's okay to celebrate as a JW? Or is it more of a "Jesus hates happiness" kind of thing?
The only events we celebrated in any sense of the term were wedding anniversaries. And no involvement in politics in any form is permitted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Avshalom posted:

Also, how do JWs celebrate Passover? I did an internship working for a lady who was raised in the Witnesses, but none of her family were in the community anymore and I didn't feel comfortable asking her much about it. One thing she did say was that they celebrate Passover rather than Easter, but when I described a Jewish Passover she said it was nothing like what she'd experienced.
Its not Passover as such, it's the memorial of the last supper. You gather at the Kingdom Hall near sunset and sing a song about the memorial, then have a prayer and a short lecture on why you are there and what the memorial represents. One or more of the elders will go outside to check that the sun has set and then there will be a prayer over the wine, it's passed around the hall, then a prayer over the bread and it is passed around. Then another song and another prayer and you're out early.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

So what do parents do if their (minor) child has been disfellowshipped and they're not supposed to interact with them?
You can interact with them, there's nothing preventing it. It's just seen more as a warning to those around you that you have dangerous ideas and morals and that by associating with you, they're in danger as well.

It depends on the family though. Some are family above all and some are god above all.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Sanzio037 posted:

So to keep the nice JW's from continually coming to my house, could I just say I was disfellowshiped? Or would they see right through that and double their efforts?

Like was mentioned earlier, there is a form of Do-Not Call List. I'm not sure how it works these days but when I was growing up the "territories" were literal maps that were handed out and on the back there would be a list of people who said to not come back that was always respected.

I grew up in a JW family. There is no one who can fake sleep better than me.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

You would know, you fat bald spice merchant.

I'm guessing the JWs are not down with the gays?

It's seen officially as another type of imperfection that would be healed in paradise. You could theoretically be a gay JW, just a celebate one who dealt with the normal pressures of being a single celebate heterosexual. And everybody talking poo poo about you. But you could still live forever.

e: Not to say that it was at all accepted by anyone at all ever at any point.

Psychobabble fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 24, 2015

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

Around here, none of the Kingdom Halls have windows- is there a reason for that?

I know that in Florida they're built to serve as emergency shelters in case of hurricanes so there are no windows but in other areas they do have windows.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Keith Atherton posted:

There's a Kingdom Hall across from my neighborhood bar that has a sign reading "Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses" and then the same thing in French underneath which confuses me because it's in Seattle. Also no windows, but then again my Presbyterian church growing up didn't have windows either. Probably the idea is not "keep people from looking in" but "keep churchgoers from zoning out and gazing out the window" like in school.

If you wanted to could you just show up at a service as a non-JW?

I imagine its the same as at most other churches, no one would stop you and they would probably reach out to you to find out more about you. The dual language signage is because two different congregations share the same building and you happen to be near a large population of French-speaking people.

I could be wrong but I seem to recall there being only a set number of blueprints they would pick from when building a new KH. They would get the foundation prepared and then one long weekend hundreds of members from around the region would gather and build the thing. It was a pretty organized system.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Qu Appelle posted:

Speaking of the Seattle JW Scene - I've seen groups of people passively standing by 5 foot tall kiosks with literature, just waiting for people to approach them. Always in the same places, too - Rainier and Edmonds, in front of SCCC, Pine between 3rd and 4th, the ID by Uwajimaya. I've just seen this in the past year or so; is this a new type of prostelyzing that's on top of the door knocking? Or, are they moving to this mode instead of door knocking or other forms of outreach?

Also - do the JWs have any type of food restrictions? I find that to be a fascinating part of any religion, what the followers can and cannot consume, and why.

I've noticed these around a few times as well. It seems to be a new thing though.

Like was mentioned, the only thing you couldn't eat is something containing blood. However smoking is banned as well.

As for how services are now, I'm not sure exactly. I know within the past five years or so they changed it from 3 days a week to 2. Sundays you get a visit from a traveling elder who gives a lecture based on a topic from headquarters and then you read and answer questions about the Watchtower, interspersed with songs and prayer for two hours. One weekday we would study the current selected literature from a dozen or so different books. This one was rather informal and done in smaller groups. It was the best because it was only an hour long. Then there was another two hour meeting with one hour devoted to skits! It was meant to prepare you for work in the field and how to address different situations that may come up. I can't quite remember what the second hour was, someone else can fill in the blanks. Then every few months you would attend a "circuit assemblies" and "district conventions." The assemblies were around 2-3k people but conventions took place in sports stadiums with tens of thousands of people. Also they had more elaborate skits.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
They don't target deaf people as a whole, like was posted, there just happens to be an ASL congregation nearby. They are either deaf themselves, in which case they can only target other deaf people or they just know ASL, in which case they're focusing their skills on a population that otherwise wouldn't hear of it. It's not like, convert a deaf dude go straight to heaven. Just tell them in no uncertain terms that you are not interested and to not return or you will press charges for harassment. If it were me though, I would focus my attention on the guard who is just letting strangers in.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Jacobeus posted:

There are plenty of other examples, but actually, my main question to you is: I know JW's very strongly discourage interaction with former JW's, especially ones who are interested in theological debate. And they seem to pretty much discourage any form of debating or outside research, especially online. Given that SA forums are aplenty with that kind of thing, and there are lots of us ex-JW's in the thread, how do you reconcile your desire to talk to us with the knowledge that doing so is highly frowned upon?
This is a good question, how do you feel the elders would respond if you told them about this?

One of the factors that figured into my dismissal of the religion was the fact that questioning anything about the religion or doing research into it was seen as apostasy and others should shun you for this.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
I would say that that is kind of a gray area in that drugs were never really discussed in depth. Booze was fine in moderation, cigarettes were banned more because they destroy your body which is a gift from Jehovah that you should care for. But as far as pot, coke, LSD, etc., they were never discussed. The issues would really arise from the fact you are associating with bad influences that will lead you away from the church, as well as breaking the law of the land which is something you are told to respect unless it conflicts with your ability to serve God. I'm curious to know how weed is viewed in congregations that are based in areas where it is legal though

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Khizan posted:

When I was in high school back in 2000 or thereabouts a friend's mother found a D&D handbook in his bedroom and called my mother specifically to tell her that she suspected I had been playing Dungeons and Dragons with her son and did my mother know the dangers of this? I was pretty loving amazed; I had read about that D&D panic but I had assumed it was Jack Chick fundie bullshit.

The same thing happened with Harry Potter. My mom kept buying me the books but just told me not to talk about them with anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Your Gay Uncle posted:

What would happen if a JW accidentally got a blood transfusion? Like if they got in a car accident and were unconscious and the hospital pumped them full of transfused blood. Would they be shunned or have to do some kind of cleansing ritual?

Not in my experience. Around once a year there would be a big thing about filling out special cards stating your refusal of blood products and designating powers of attorney though.

• Locked thread