Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
There's a Kingdom Hall across from my neighborhood bar that has a sign reading "Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses" and then the same thing in French underneath which confuses me because it's in Seattle. Also no windows, but then again my Presbyterian church growing up didn't have windows either. Probably the idea is not "keep people from looking in" but "keep churchgoers from zoning out and gazing out the window" like in school.

If you wanted to could you just show up at a service as a non-JW?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Psychobabble posted:

I imagine its the same as at most other churches, no one would stop you and they would probably reach out to you to find out more about you. The dual language signage is because two different congregations share the same building and you happen to be near a large population of French-speaking people.

I could be wrong but I seem to recall there being only a set number of blueprints they would pick from when building a new KH. They would get the foundation prepared and then one long weekend hundreds of members from around the region would gather and build the thing. It was a pretty organized system.

The Kingdom Hall I'm talking about redid their exterior and roof a couple years ago and it was impressive as hell. It was a big project and they got it finished in a week. It reminded me of an Amish barn raising.

What are services like? I went to a Mormon Sunday service in high school and was surprised that it wasn't much different than the generic Protestant services I'd grown up with.

Edit: ^^^^ North Seattle is white as hell and LOTS of black people go to this church.

Cat Hassler fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 25, 2015

• Locked thread