Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Okay, so I'm going to confuse the discussion further by pointing out that the original, story-games.com definition of a storygame was that it was a game where creating a story occurred as a consequence of play, which made it (in their terms) a supercategory incorporating all RPGs and a selection of other tabletop games. Of course, this depends a whole lot on how we define story, doesn't it?

So I guess the first real task is to do the indescribably boring poo poo of hashing out definitions. So I'll start, and then we can argue from there! :)

Story: The dictionary's first definition is this: "a narrative, either true or fictitious, in prose or verse, designed to interest, amuse, or instruct the hearer or reader; tale." Nasty recursion there, but I think we can all work with this and argue over the definition of the terms in the definition.

Narrative: I think I'll just be simplistic about this and say that a narrative is a record of a series of events.

Event: An event, meanwhile, is simply something that happens.

Plot: Plot, then, is the overall structure of the narrative, the arrangement of the events into an order. This is fairly distinct from what you'd find in English textbooks, I think, but a) I'm engaging in rhetorical manipulation here and b) we are talking about a fairly distinct form from what most literature and composition studies focuses on.

So with that out of the way, I'd like to address your last post, OtspIII. I do believe that you're onto something- while I still feel that you're describing a variation in playstyle, I'm coming around to thinking that certain games encourage one or the other. I am finding it interesting that D&D is, from my perspective, almost dead central in the middle between the two, or at least in the versions I'm most familiar with.

With that being said, I agree with you almost completely. I feel that the ludology of RPGs is pretty much stuck because most of the meaningful focus is on board-and-card games (anyone else remember the poster Hipster Scumbag?) and from the perspective of good boardgame design, RPGs are at best mediocre. Meanwhile, indigenous ludology is focused almost purely on story, often from a bizarre perspective in terms of formal studies, and doesn't focus much on mechanics except as engines to serve the story. Of course, my perspective on this has been somewhat curdled by actually seriously working on designing an RPG.

Anyways, I think I'll stop here for the moment so this doesn't get too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Endorph posted:

i dont know what the gently caress this thread is about

It's where I hash out my manifesto before I send it to Wizards of the Coast with a note demanding they publish it or I blow up all of Dungeons and Dragons.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

PurpleXVI posted:

Storygames: The cool, right thing that happens when I play my favourite RPG's.

Wrongfungames: The wrong, bad thing that happens when plebs play their favourite RPG's or when they play my favourite RPG's but play them wrong.

Cleaned up the terminology some for everyone who was having trouble following the conversation.

I'm curious as to how you got this from things so far, or why you're messing up the epic loving RPG dot net meme.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

OtspIII posted:

Just ducking in for a second to say I've been thinking about this a lot since last night, but that I won't really have any free time to post for a few hours.

One thing I will note is that I actually think dungeon crawls (which isn't exactly D&D, but is a playstyle pretty closely related to it) are probably the style of play that I think most heavily leans towards. . .I really need a better term for this than "stuff happens" gameplay. Each room starts as an independent puzzle/challenge, allowing but not requiring larger context to be brought in as appropriate. But even then, the general trend is to start with a bunch of "events" and still end up with a "story" with a "narrative" about what happened during the session, but all that just gets come up with as people think back on what they've done rather than while they're in the thick of it.

Err, I guess the one complaint I have about your definitions is that I feel like the "a record of" part of your definition of "narrative" is actually pretty important and has a lot of implications. Basically, it implies that a narrative is a conscious effort to prune a description of a set of events and give it a sort of "meaning". Think of the term "controlling the narrative" about a subject matter.

It does, but I wanted to be rigorous and distinguish narrative from the events themselves. We can drop it for the purposes of this thread, though I'm not going to edit the post for the sake of posterity. :v:

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
I was thinking that procedural and dramatic were the best terms, but now I feel they'd be confusing, because we have the powergamer/whatever-you-call-people-who-make-ineffective-characters-for-"roleplaying" types who blend the two.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

FactsAreUseless posted:

Oh great, now we can choose between roguelikes and visual novels. Thanks.

LMAO. You've been on fire recently.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Glorified Scrivener posted:

Thanks and I’ll try to organize my thoughts more clearly.

In the first part I was trying to describe the style of play that I’m most familiar with, which roughly adheres to a dynamic of; Initial Situation -> Player Actions (+ GM Reaction) -> (New) Situation; repeat. Depending on the game the initial situation is set up by a GM or collaboratively by the players, the characters then take actions in response to the initial situation, creating a new one that requires further actions.

This can be complicated or refined all sorts of ways –the initial situation might include a timeline of actions that npcs will take until the player actions intersect with them, etc.

So attempting to use Effectronica’s earlier definitions, in this style of play the Plot would arise from the order of Events, with each Event being the result of player interaction with a situation, which creates and sets up the next Event. In this the player’s decisions at each juncture are influenced by how they initially conceived the character, what’s happened to them already and what they desire to have happen to them. This biographical element forms a major part of how each player perceives the story of that game and informs their choices going forward.

Now to make a fool of myself by discussing doors; I agree that the door being locked or unlocked depending on the drama of the situation doesn't make for a boring game – but also that it can potentially make for a game that never has boring moments. Which I admit sounds stupid. But if you elide everything surrounding the dramatic portions of the game with narration, so that choices only ever exist in dramatic contexts, it lessens the impact of those moments because they’re all dramatic. Even most roller coasters have long slow climbs that build tension and anticipation because they're not fast downhills.

So, in the example given, if the players come across a door that stops them dead in their tracks, how they determine to get past it isn't boring. I assume there’s a reason they want it open and multiple ways to open it, even if none of them are immediately at hand and they might have to seek one out and come back to that door later on.

Please don't capitalize "plot" or "event" in this thread.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Glorified Scrivener's games should all just be called "A tribute to Jim Morrison."

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

UnCO3 posted:

This is starting to sound a bit GNS.

Anyway, here's some bullshit to contribute: a useful heuristic for whether something's on the storygame side of the spectrum might be the role of a character's failure in the mechanics. Does failure mechanically drive the story forwards? Does the game give equivalent mechanical significance and depth to a character's failure? Does it account for multiple types and layers of failure, both concrete and abstract, where a character can succeed on one level and fail on another? Does the game give players influence over when and/or how their character fails? Could a character conceivably fail to achieve their goals over and over again without the player losing interest or feeling that they've somehow failed? If you look at systems like Apocalypse World, FATE, Dogs in the Vineyard, Don't Rest Your Head and so on, the answer to most of these questions is yes - the systems themselves are built to make failure something that the players are mechanically and creatively involved in, and something that drives their story.

It's not perfect - Metrofinal would definitely be classified as a storygame even though ultimate success is explicitly guaranteed - but answering the question 'is failure interesting for everyone involved' does seem useful.

"Procedural" and "dramatic" are terms from actual literary studies, so it's only GNS if every bit of theory is GNS.

That being said, I don't think that there's necessarily anything useful in practical terms for both design and play in distinguishing between games according to this aspect, and I'd be surprised if there was. Even distinguishing between playstyles is likely to only have limited benefits, even if it's as meaningful as what WOTC has already done.

I also disagree heavily with your analysis because it treats all failures as identical ones, even as it says "does it account for multiple types of failure." This would require a lengthy response for me to go into why I feel that that makes it not particularly meaningful, so I'm not going to go into why I consider that a major flaw right now. Have to put some things together first.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

UnCO3 posted:

Ah come on mate, it's a waste of time to say you think I'm wrong but don't have the time to explain why. Give me a reference or a premise or something to work with.

Okay. The basic problem I have is that the heuristic doesn't really do what you say it does. Take D&D, for example. If we look at an encounter, (using the 1e/2e definition where every situation where you have interact with specific things in the game) we generally have a spectrum of possible outcomes from best to worst, sometimes forked. The party can accomplish all of its goals, end up getting completely killed, or anything in between. Just a four-person party, regardless of its objectives, has five possible final states without considering limited resources. It's in fact quite possible to construct an encounter in, say, D&D 4e, that has more meaningful outcomes than Heroquest's nonary resolution mechanics and is still eminently playable. Of course, it would be a combat encounter and most of them don't achieve that level in any case.

So there's that, one pretty important example of D&D falling into the "storygame" quadrant. It's also the most important one. "Failure driving the story forward", if it is distinct from more-or-less consensual railroading, is encapsulated in this as well. "Equivalent mechanical significance and depth"? I have no idea what this means, really. Binary resolution means that success and failure are equivalently important automatically, and while critical hits may break this, it's also not anything that draws much discussion except in a highly altered form.

"Influence over when and how" and making an infinite string of failures non-discouraging are things that require a lot more clarity, because as they stand they suggest bad design. If you mean something like Fate Points for the first one, though, that's a great segue into what your heuristic seems to be sorting, to me.

It's sorting out abstraction from concreteness. Because, well, if we take an idealized RPG that has one roll for attack and damage, and where each unit only rolls once per turn, a four-turn combat between two teams of four involves 32 rolls. In something like Fate, it would involve 8. In D&D, the number of rolls would be even higher, and so you'd need more than quadruple the number of Fate Points in order for them to have the same mechanical weight and power, and they would need to be individually weaker. Because Fate is abstract. AW is even more so. But this abstraction is why you need trinary resolution and so on and so forth, because you have to compress all the things that would go down in a concrete game's fight or hacking sequence or whatever into one or two rolls. Abstract versus concrete really shouldn't, in my opinion, be a gigantic split when it comes to design. AW doesn't have gigantically different GM advice from D&D, at its core level. And for that matter, it's also a spectral phenomenon.

Note that you can apply this not only to D&D but also to a lot of other conventional games.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

FactsAreUseless posted:

Okay in all seriousness real short summary: People get very, very angry if you don't carefully define the difference between an RPG and a "storygame," and there's an entire website dedicated to it (RPGSite), the owner of whom sincerely believes there is some sort of insane thoughtcrime conspiracy to destroy RPGs forever.

I made jokes about this in the chat thread, which people didn't get, because it's a chat thread in Trad Games, so somebody made this thread to continue the discussion, which isn't a discussion anyone needs to be having ever, because holy poo poo

It's so

goddamn stupid.

Okay. So does the stupidity come in because the posts are too long, or is it just that any kind of thinking about roleplaying games beyond "is this good/bad" is stupid in and of itself, or is it for some reason that you can't articulate in a single sentence, or what?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

FactsAreUseless posted:

The storygames vs. RPGs thing is stupid on its face, and writing this many words about it is stupid, and also the words in the word pile are stupid words, like "heuristic" and "wobbling."

Okay. I'm not arguing about "storygames vs. RPGs", and I'm sorry that I misinterpreted your jokes in this thread as being in good fun.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

FactsAreUseless posted:

Did you think it was in good fun when I mocked you for melting down in QCS also?

No, I didn't. I didn't suspect, though, that you would jump in solely or primarily to make fun of me, because I had a higher opinion of you than that. Oh well.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

DalaranJ posted:

Can you clarify your earlier chat thread comment about not liking 'fail forward'? Do you think it is poor when taken outside the context of consensual railroading, or do you dislike it altogether regardless of play mode?

There's a thing called "fail-forward" which is just "Don't have a failed roll stall things", which is a good principle. There's another thing called "fail-forward" which seems to involve draining failure of meaning, (what I meant by railroading) which I consider bad. I feel that the first has enabled the second because it's "forward", and it really should be called "fail-sideways", if anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Everblight posted:

So because we met our Patreon goal for our podcast, I've been roped into running a game of Dread live on stream Saturday. Of course, before we met the goal, I promised that it would be JURASSIC DREAD, with dinosaurs.

Any advice or ideas on how exactly to integrate dino-horror? Obv I'll be cribbing from Jurassic Park and friends, but I have no idea how to actually pick a setting. Some ideas
  • Players' plane crash-lands, Land of the Lost style
  • Trapped in a museum overnight, skeletons come to life
  • Time Travel
  • Planetary Colonization (crash and rescue ship can only pick up at a specific other location at a specific time, to encourage motion?)
Also, is Dread okay if it goes kinda gonzo, rather than totally straight? It's entirely possible the goofyness of the scenario may not lead to the most spine-tingling role play.

Dread actually works better when it's somewhat gonzo. It's designed to emulate the structure of a bodycount horror film more than anything, and it's rare to see one of those that isn't a little goofy or campy.

• Locked thread