Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this the beginning of the end of football as we know it?
This poll is closed.
Within the next decade 38 22.35%
Within the next five years 12 7.06%
No, and you're an idiot for thinking so 71 41.76%
Borland himself will return to the sport within two years 49 28.82%
Total: 128 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Promising rookie linebacker Chris Borland retires at age 24 due to fears of CTE

Please try to be respectful, this isn't the "troll 49ers fans" thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
no balls

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

No, this doesn't signal the death of the sport.

Yes, this is however a pretty loving rare occurrence for a guy with no real health issues choosing to step away.

The sport won't be in danger until parents pull their kids from Pee Wee and HS teams, and even that will be mostly a regional thing. Sometime in the future North East and California will probably have HS football go the way of the HS boxing club and then you've got a problem, but until then I'm still gonna scream the pain train's coming everytime some hoss sized MLB knocks pre-calc out of some running back's skull.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

How did boxing die anyway? I only know the general contours of the story.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

A combination of corruption and better alternatives

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Cruel and Unusual posted:

Boxings biggest event ever is happening in like 2 months.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Volkerball posted:

:lol: If you think Paq/Mayweather is the biggest boxing event ever

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Intruder posted:

:lol: If you think Paq/Mayweather is the biggest boxing event ever

Just cause they're old now. I've wanted this fight for as long as I can remember and stupid Mayweather waited til they were pushing 40 to stop cry babying over it.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I mean you have heard of Ali and Frazier and Foreman right?

Unless by biggest event you mean biggest payday

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
thrilla in the vanilla imo. needed more pacquiao.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Intruder posted:

Ali owned

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Volkerball posted:

A thing someone believes.

Also, this off season has been rough on SF.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

WeLandedOnTheMoon! posted:

A thing someone believes.

Also, this off season has been rough on SF.

I do not envy SF fans :smith:

Maybe they'll just want to go into full rebuild and trade Kaep to the Texans for a 2nd

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

‏@annkillion: Tim Ryan said "Patrick Willis retired. Chris Borland quit."

Tim Ryan does play-by-play for the 49ers.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
What (I think) makes this different than someone deciding to retire because of health problems that he's already incurred over a long career (say, Willis) or being forced out of the league because of brain damage (Jahvid Best) is that Borland had an amazing year with little-to-no injury and decided to walk away from it all, specifically because of the growing awareness of and discourse around the damage that comes from playing impact football. He didn't just go silently, he announced the exact reason why he was leaving and, by doing so, made it a Topic of Discussion.

This falls solidly in line with the trend over the last few years of Serious Discussion on concussions in American football. Peter King's MMQB has been running a lot of journalism on this topic, doing a bunch of interviews with retired players -- and a whole lot of middle-aged white men read MMQB. Other news outlets are covering this too. ESPN talks about it every now and then, ESPN runs long documentaries on it. The sudden departure of what looked like a star in the making after only one season for no other reason except he was concerned about his future health -- not his current health, he's not cutting his losses, he's specifically getting out before he actually incurs any losses -- is a major deal. If it was just an unknown backup player, who cares, he's likely just making up an excuse for why he couldn't get a starting spot eh guys?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
So if Borland sits out two years he becomes a free agent and is free of his rookie contract? How does that work?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Elephanthead posted:

So if Borland sits out two years he becomes a free agent and is free of his rookie contract? How does that work?

No, he doesn't accrue time against his contract unless he plays... it used to be 7 games but now I think it's 14 or maybe even the whole season?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm pretty sure if you're retired for a season, your contract becomes void. That was the story with Carson Palmer in Cincy at least.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Cruel and Unusual posted:

Terrible corruption, lack of Tapout shirts and handsome french canadians in speedos.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Terrible corruption, lack of Tapout shirts and handsome french canadians in speedos.

All the best potential heavyweights suddenly becoming able to make a bunch of money in baseball, basketball and football without incurring terrible head injury and walking around punch drunk for the rest of their lives

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Volkerball posted:

I'm pretty sure if you're retired for a season, your contract becomes void. That was the story with Carson Palmer in Cincy at least.

What? I'm pretty sure if he never got traded he'd only be able to come back as a Bengal right where his contact left off

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

I'm 95% sure that the rise of the NFL dried the talent pool of boxing immensely.

Intruder posted:

Unless by biggest event you mean biggest payday

Are they going to fight in Vegas ? They could have done it in Manila to have a thrilla in Manila 2 , thrill harder.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

What? I'm pretty sure if he never got traded he'd only be able to come back as a Bengal right where his contact left off

I'm almost certain that he was sitting when he was traded, and his intention was to sit the entire season and then enter free agency the next offseason despite his contract going until 2014 or something crazy.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Lamadrid posted:

I'm 95% sure that the rise of the NFL dried the talent pool of boxing immensely.

Are they going to fight in Vegas ? They could have done it in Manila to have a thrilla in Manila 2 , thrill harder.

Yeah. The UFC played the biggest role imo.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

Yeah wasn't that a big thing when Carson was sitting out and what forced the trade?

He wouldn't play and the Bengals were kind of stuck with him?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah wasn't that a big thing when Carson was sitting out and what forced the trade?

He wouldn't play and the Bengals were kind of stuck with him?

No, Brown was refusing to trade Palmer, and was making him sit in retirement to make a statement. That's why the Raiders had to give up a kings ransom.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
MMA getting big came at just the right time to capitalize on boxing attempting to gently caress everything they possibly could up. It's good stuff, maybe Chris Borland should look into MMA next. A sport which handles concussions more delicately than the National Football League.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Volkerball posted:

I'm almost certain that he was sitting when he was traded, and his intention was to sit the entire season and then enter free agency the next offseason despite his contract going until 2014 or something crazy.

Pretty sure his intention was to retire permanently rather than play another down for the Bengals, and the only way he'd play again was if they traded him. I don't think he was going to be able to get out of his contract that way

Volkerball posted:

Boxing was dying a long time before UFC became anything but a niche curiosity

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Brannock posted:

What (I think) makes this different than someone deciding to retire because of health problems that he's already incurred over a long career (say, Willis) or being forced out of the league because of brain damage (Jahvid Best) is that Borland had an amazing year with little-to-no injury and decided to walk away from it all, specifically because of the growing awareness of and discourse around the damage that comes from playing impact football. He didn't just go silently, he announced the exact reason why he was leaving and, by doing so, made it a Topic of Discussion.

This falls solidly in line with the trend over the last few years of Serious Discussion on concussions in American football. Peter King's MMQB has been running a lot of journalism on this topic, doing a bunch of interviews with retired players -- and a whole lot of middle-aged white men read MMQB. Other news outlets are covering this too. ESPN talks about it every now and then, ESPN runs long documentaries on it. The sudden departure of what looked like a star in the making after only one season for no other reason except he was concerned about his future health -- not his current health, he's not cutting his losses, he's specifically getting out before he actually incurs any losses -- is a major deal. If it was just an unknown backup player, who cares, he's likely just making up an excuse for why he couldn't get a starting spot eh guys?

I don't know why it's such a huge topic though when I know it happens in other fields. I have experience with the fire service, so that is where my information is based out of, but I know of plenty of firemen who got out of the service strictly for the fact that they saw all the studies surrounding cancer in fire fighters and quality of life post retirement and said gently caress that and walked away. I know the NFL is global and therefore newsworthy, but I just don't see how one player choosing quality of life over a job is that newsworthy.

In the similar vain is women who get mastectomy's prior to coming down with breast cancer just to cut it off before it happens. It's their life, it's their choice. I hate that everything has to be a loving topic up for debate and scrutiny.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Intruder posted:

Pretty sure his intention was to retire permanently rather than play another down for the Bengals, and the only way he'd play again was if they traded him. I don't think he was going to be able to get out of his contract that way

Yeah his options were retire forever, come back and play for the Bengals under his old contract, or get traded. And I'm very happy it turned out to be the third one :)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Shath Hole posted:

I don't know why it's such a huge topic though when I know it happens in other fields. I have experience with the fire service, so that is where my information is based out of, but I know of plenty of firemen who got out of the service strictly for the fact that they saw all the studies surrounding cancer in fire fighters and quality of life post retirement and said gently caress that and walked away. I know the NFL is global and therefore newsworthy, but I just don't see how one player choosing quality of life over a job is that newsworthy.

In the similar vain is women who get mastectomy's prior to coming down with breast cancer just to cut it off before it happens. It's their life, it's their choice. I hate that everything has to be a loving topic up for debate and scrutiny.

Because Concussions are a big deal right now (and have been for a while) and the NFL is kind of dragging their feet on dealing with the problem. The NFL's attempts to pretend this isn't a real problem (outside of token efforts) have probably made this a bigger story than it could have been.

edit: Plus people are going to view entertainment and necessary jobs differently.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 17, 2015

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Because Concussions are a big deal right now (and have been for a while) and the NFL is kind of dragging their feet on dealing with the problem. The NFL's attempts to pretend this isn't a real problem (outside of token efforts) have probably made this a bigger story than it could have been.

edit: Plus people are going to view entertainment and necessary jobs differently.

I suppose. Awareness is at an all time high right now which is why this is news I just don't know what else the league can do to appease the masses though? They have implemented rules to help eliminate the violent collisions, but at the end of the day violent collisions is what football is. I think the only thing that could be improved on is the equipment.

I know that my son has been playing football for 4 years now, and the whole heads up football is engrained into them every single practice, so that is at least a promising sign but that doesn't eliminate the risk of concussions all that much in the grand scheme.

vvv

Yeah, that was a complete fuckup of the "process"

weird Asian candy fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 17, 2015

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Edelman's non use of concussion protocols without penalty in the Super Bowl is a testament to the NFLs commitment to safety goddamn it!

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Volkerball posted:

Look some of the earyl/mid early events, like the 37.5 (!).They were in the shittiest arenas in the middle of nowhere,headlined by balding,roided out Brazilians and pyscopaths.Free agency in the NFL killed heavyweight boxing, and with that the dollars that come from watching to superhuman dudes blasting each others brains into mental retardation.Watching Joe Frazier talk and Mohammed Ali slowly disintegrate into a shadow of its former self doesn't help either.

I hope Dana White has a beatiful farm for Chuck Lidell where he'll be able to run and :smith:

hump day bitches! fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Mar 17, 2015

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Intruder posted:

Boxing was dying a long time before UFC became anything but a niche curiosity

Yeah, at the HS Club level, boxing mostly died out by the 70's, due to the ease of playing other sports, known health issues, and everything else. Combine that with the top down rot of professional boxing, Ali and so many other greats turning into shuffling corpses, and boxing disappearing from non-PPV TV and boxing was pretty drat niche before anyone had heard of UFC/MMA.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Boxers still make retard money though.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Julian Edelman was fine, his subsequent MVP performance and game winning touchdown are proof of it

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Kalli posted:

Yeah, at the HS Club level, boxing mostly died out by the 70's, due to the ease of playing other sports, known health issues, and everything else. Combine that with the top down rot of professional boxing, Ali and so many other greats turning into shuffling corpses, and boxing disappearing from non-PPV TV and boxing was pretty drat niche before anyone had heard of UFC/MMA.

Was it? I thought boxing was still pretty relevant until Tyson took his craziness to another level and bit Holyfield's ear? From what I saw and heard it seemed like the dying of Tyson was the death of boxing.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Volkerball posted:

Boxers still make retard money though.

The dudes are the very very tippy top do, but they're very much the exception. Really big fights still sell like crazy but there's only a tiny handful of people who can do that.

Floyd Mayweather makes a shitload of money. The average middling dude is probably not doing especially well, especially relative to the damage he's doing to himself. For whatever reason you seem to think that Mayweather is the norm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Shath Hole posted:

Was it? I thought boxing was still pretty relevant until Tyson took his craziness to another level and bit Holyfield's ear? From what I saw and heard it seemed like the dying of Tyson was the death of boxing.

I think the top tier is still doing really well, but it doesn't have much depth which is obviously going to be a problem for any sport.

• Locked thread