Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this the beginning of the end of football as we know it?
This poll is closed.
Within the next decade 38 22.35%
Within the next five years 12 7.06%
No, and you're an idiot for thinking so 71 41.76%
Borland himself will return to the sport within two years 49 28.82%
Total: 128 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Everyone should tackle like James Harrison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

Intruder posted:

What you posted has no relevance to the topic of this thread, that Borland is retiring because of the danger of head trauma issues. Instead, you posted a gif showing Lynch bulldozing through him and wrote a mini diatribe about how he wasn't cut out for this league anyway, clearly designed to provoke a 49ers fan reaction. When called on it, you gave the classic "Who, me?" response trolls love to give. You know what you're doing, you don't really need me to explain this to you, and you should probably not post in this thread anymore

It's pretty obvious he's highlighting his tackling form being bad though.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
Thread needs disclaimer for 49er fans: "Much like football, nothing here is good for your brain."

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Intruder posted:

What you posted has no relevance to the topic of this thread, that Borland is retiring because of the danger of head trauma issues. Instead, you posted a gif showing Lynch bulldozing through him and wrote a mini diatribe about how he wasn't cut out for this league anyway, clearly designed to provoke a 49ers fan reaction. When called on it, you gave the classic "Who, me?" response trolls love to give. You know what you're doing, you don't really need me to explain this to you, and you should probably not post in this thread anymore

I think you misread what I was trying to say, I meant he had a short time in the league if his tackling form continued like that, I never said he was a bad player and in fact thought he was pretty good. Lots of players recklessly tackle like this and it is a shame to see.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

tanglewood1420 posted:

As a UK based NFL fan, the horrendous standard of tackling in the NFL compared to rugby has always puzzled me.

Most players are taught proper tackling technique at some point in their development, but they just don't necessarily use it all the time in game situations for a lot reasons. They hit a whole lot harder than rugby players so they can get by without learning proper technique in a lot of cases. It is also a lot harder to break down and make a proper form tackle in the moment, especially give the size/speed/strength/agility of the guys they're trying to tackle, so sometimes you just throw yourself at the guy hard and hope for the best. The helmet and pads also lend a sense of invicibility that makes guys take more risks with how they tackle and where they place their head. There's glory in making the big highlight hit in the form of getting it replayed a lot, and coaches generally don't care enough how the hit was made as long as it gets the guy down and there isn't a penalty so proper technique isn't properly incentivized.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Controversial opinion: concussions are bad. Discuss.

Put 'em in skirts, I say.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

We're not that far removed from ESPN dedicating time to a segment called "Jacked Up" so most current players have grown up seeing reckless and painful hits being glorified

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Yeah if you grow up playing with a helmet from day one you probably wont learn to keep your head out of a tackle and how to properly get low and wrap up, kids maybe dont play tackle football anymore on the playground just in their street clothes

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

African AIDS cum posted:

I think you misread what I was trying to say, I meant he had a short time in the league if his tackling form continued like that, I never said he was a bad player and in fact thought he was pretty good. Lots of players recklessly tackle like this and it is a shame to see.

If you're being sincere the steroids thing was pretty hard not to see as trolling though.

It came off a lot like "he is tiny and can only be a real NFL man if he cheats"

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Schefter going all in on this being a negative, links the cautionary tale of another player who decided to retire in his prime.

@AdamSchefter
Before there was former 49ers/Wisconsin LB Chris Borland, there was former Seahawks/Wisconsin OL John Moffitt:..
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/06/sports/football/john-moffitt-rides-rocky-transition-to-life-after-the-nfl.html?_r=0

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Volkerball posted:

on the other hand, you still get a lot of this, which i imagine is just magic for your brain.

refs can only jump in so fast.

That was a case of bad blood between two massive pieces of poo poo .Wanderlei Silva turned Rampage's brain into silly putty with knees during Pride and that was the fight to settle the score.It doesn't help that Silva's chin was cracked after years of training in Chute Boxe and taking massive amounts of punishment in fights.

I now how horrific it is.How it devastates people when they accumulate too much damage.Yet I still just love this stupid amount of aggression.I am the monster.

hump day bitches! fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 17, 2015

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Lamadrid posted:

That was a case of bad blood between two massive pieces of poo poo .

a truly unique situation in the ufc

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Lamadrid posted:

That was a case of bad blood between two massive pieces of poo poo .Wanderlei Silva turned Rampage's brain into silly putty with knees during Pride and that was the fight to settle the score.It doesn't help that Silva's chin was cracked after years of training in Chute Boxe and taking massive amounts of punishment in fights.

I now how horrific it is.How it devastates people when they accumulate too much damage.Yet I still just love this stupid amount of aggression.I am the monster.

I feel like UFC will end up having just as many concussion problems in the long term as boxing and we just don't have enough data to look at. Those might be the world's sourest grapes tho

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

UFC at least suspends you from fighting for a set amount of time (I think 6 weeks?) if you get knocked out so that's something

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If you're being sincere the steroids thing was pretty hard not to see as trolling though.

It came off a lot like "he is tiny and can only be a real NFL man if he cheats"

It is just speculation on my part but I think it is a real dilemma players like him face. Brock Coyle is another undersized linebacker with potential who I would hate to see show up at training camp 15 lbs heavier having "dedicated himself to training over the offseason".

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Ozu posted:

Schefter going all in on this being a negative, links the cautionary tale of another player who decided to retire in his prime.

@AdamSchefter
Before there was former 49ers/Wisconsin LB Chris Borland, there was former Seahawks/Wisconsin OL John Moffitt:..
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/06/sports/football/john-moffitt-rides-rocky-transition-to-life-after-the-nfl.html?_r=0

Linebackers and the lines I can imagine are the loving worst, not just by the amount of massive hits, but also the volume of it.40-50 snaps a game and everyone a hit.I can only imagine that all the physical discomfort of getting hit compound with the terrible diet to cocktail of poo poo.

Who was the NHL enforcer who offed himself after a short career of getting pummeled every night ?
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/04/sports/hockey/derek-boogaard-a-boy-learns-to-brawl.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
Depressing poo poo.

Volkerball posted:

a truly unique situation in the ufc
Well right now kind of is.UFC is more much mellow than it used to be.I miss watching assholes destroy each other.

Declan MacManus posted:

I feel like UFC will end up having just as many concussion problems in the long term as boxing and we just don't have enough data to look at. Those might be the world's sourest grapes tho

No doubt about it.I used to think that all that BJJ and the capability to escape standup by wrestling kind of protected but that's wishful thinking.You can see fighters in their early 30's from the early eras and they look like poo poo.Chuck Lidell sounds lobotomized for example,one good LW prospect has spent a year in the sidelines with concussions symptoms.Not just the fights but the training contribute to that.

hump day bitches! fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 17, 2015

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Fullback would be the worst position probably

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
you just post mother fuckin jon ritchie in tff? you're alright aac

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Declan MacManus posted:

Those might be the world's sourest grapes tho

It'll still have problems that are undiscovered just because of how young it is, but yeah it's the grapes. If you get knocked out there's a mandatory medical break and it doesn't have the absolutely barbaric standing 10 which gives your brain more than enough time to snap back time and time again just to get hit upside the head some more. But getting back to the NFL, if you look at one of the big catalysts I think in terms of it getting media attention, Colt McCoy getting blasted by future NFL Hall of Fame linebacker James Harrison, being clearly concussed......and then getting right back to the huddle. I truly don't believe there would be any change if that were to happen in the 2015 season. They talk so much about the medical checks and not being allowed back in but I don't think a single drat thing has changed except for Colt McCoy's jersey color.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Intruder posted:

UFC at least suspends you from fighting for a set amount of time (I think 6 weeks?) if you get knocked out so that's something

I think it's from doing anything at all, sparring, training (obviously they can only police that one so far), etc.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Chuck Liddell is a pretty ugly case but I'm also curious as to how much of that is from doing enough cocaine to put Lawrence Taylor to shame.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

African AIDS cum posted:

Fullback would be the worst position probably

Is that a lump or loving caveman brow

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

I think it's from doing anything at all, sparring, training (obviously they can only police that one so far), etc.

Considering fighters are responsible for their own training and camps, I don't see how it's possible to police this in any way whatsoever

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Is that a lump or loving caveman brow

I think its like calcium deposits

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008

Intruder posted:

Considering fighters are responsible for their own training and camps, I don't see how it's possible to police this in any way whatsoever

It means they're suspended from training that involves contact, so they can still lift and get in shape and I believe hit the bags but they can't spar. Theoretically I believe the state agencies could check up on them and get them in trouble if they're not adhering to their suspension but I don't think they really have the resources to steadily do that.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Intruder posted:

Most camps are pretty big and have a ton of fighters in them so I'd guess it's pretty common for the UFC/state to randomly stop in to check on things.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

On the topic of training and sparring having a role in brain damage, I remember a lot of people saying Mohammad Ali's issues were not due to boxing per se but rather his insanely brutal sparring he did for training

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

You can count on Florio to say something absurdly stupid.

@ProFootballTalk Americans routinely assume far greater physical risks for far less money and fame than the risk/reward of playing in the NFL.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/17/borland-situation-creates-new-challenge-for-scouts/

quote:

There may be no way of spotting a propensity to choose to retire early, especially since the phenomenon is new and still too rare to allow teams to articulate potential factors. But in San Francisco, G.M. Trent Baalke undoubtedly has been asking himself whether he missed whatever evidence there may have been to indicate that Borland may not be long for the NFL. Moving forward, look for teams to try to come up with ways to ensure that players on whom a draft pick will be invested will be invested in the profession. Already, many scouts focus on whether a player truly loves football. Borland's decision raises the stakes for teams intent on finding players who have a high level of devotion to the sport.

This article does a good job thrashing him:

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/113102362/san-francisco-49ers-chris-borland-retirement-impact-for-nfl

quote:

When you take a step back, it's sort of a staggering paragraph to read. Basically, Florio is saying that the only real response the NFL and those who work inside it can have to someone like Borland making the rational, self-preserving decision he made is to say, we need to look exclusively for people incapable of making rational, self-preserving decisions. In fact, not only does Florio -- and, by proxy, the NFL executives he's surely speaking for -- require scouts to avoid drafting players capable of making rational self-preserving decisions; he actually tasks them with predicting whether any of them might someday do so, down the line. This is essentially institutionalizing ignorance: This is making poor and uniformed decision-making part of the business plan.

And he's too much of a pussy to go there, but what he really means is scouts will start having a larger bias against affluent mostly white prospects.

Its Miller Time fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 17, 2015

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
A bunch of writers and TV guys have predictably gone full on PROTECT THE SHIELD mode over this, but Florio went above and beyond.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

We can break you and cut you and thats part of the game but don't you dare consider leaving early or else there is something wrong with your character

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

We can break you and cut you and thats part of the game but don't you dare consider leaving early or else there is something wrong with your character

Amazing, isn't it?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Florio is a tool and a hack, this isn't news

It's funny that when he invoked THE TROOPS and had a soldier tell him to knock it off, instead of apologizing he immediately moved on to coal miners instead

It's not like Borland retired from the NFL to go take on a more dangerous job for less pay. The fact that he values his own health shouldn't be a negative against him, yet here we are

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

I got in a small twitter back and forth with Ross Tucker, who said I was missing Florio's point. I told him even if it was a fair one, it was a brutally callous one to be making now with chilling repercussions on young people trying to balance their love for the game, their desire to make a living off football and their long-term health.

Now I'm all heated.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
I just think it's funny that people like Florio who are laying into Borland for retiring are the same people that would have been laying into him if he would have held out for more money down the road if he kept playing.

You just can't win with morons.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

African AIDS cum posted:

Borland was also pretty undersized and would have probably had to eventually use steroids to put on 15-20 lbs of muscle. Then again Mark Simoneau somehow eked out a 10 year career so who knows.

The Sports On Earth article that goes after Florio actually starts off with a really good point related to this.

quote:

When the San Francisco 49ers drafted linebacker Chris Borland in the third round of the 2014 NFL draft, NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock had this to say:

"In a division of hardheads, the 49ers have just added a thundering hardhead. He's too short. He's too slow. I don't care, he can play."

Even setting aside for a moment the use of the term "hardhead" -- a term that maybe isn't the best way to describe football players these days -- this is a particularly telling little scouting report. What Mayock is saying is that for someone like Borland to make it in the NFL, Borland will have to find something to offset his inherent physical shortcomings, namely his height and his speed. His body, according to Mayock, is not physically built to be a successful NFL player, which means more will be required of him. He will need something to separate him from men who are bigger, and stronger, and faster than he is. He will need to find an advantage. He will need to find his superpower.

Mayock believed he had found this advantage: Borland would be fearless. Borland would not care that he was chasing bigger and faster men, because he is a "thundering hardhead." Borland's superpower is that he is willing to knock around larger men with disregard for his own safety. This is why Mayock said "he can play." Borland will knock you on your rear end and not care a whit.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
did someone say tuel time??

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Declan MacManus posted:

It won't, here's why. The biggest reason boxing is so dangerous is that it has the ten count, and standing eight count. Guys who would have been KO'd by UFC rules multiple times are allowed the chance to recover, and keep fighting. Boxing allows guys to get KO'd get up, and immediately start fighting again. The gloves also make it much harder to slip punches, and even if you are blocking shots you are still getting knocked around by your own gloves. Even a guy like Mayweather who has never been knocked off his feet, and has arguably the best defense ever has most likely suffered hundreds of concussions during his career.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
:siren: WARNING: THE FOLLOWING TAKE IS SO HOT YOU SHOULD LOOK AT IT THROUGH A SHOEBOX LIKE AN ECLIPSE :siren:

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Everyone should tackle like James Harrison

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRhu54hPna0

real poo poo

clean hit

no penalty imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Smiling Mandrill posted:

Even a guy like Mayweather who has never been knocked off his feet, and has arguably the best defense ever has most likely suffered hundreds of concussions during his career.

Please think about how dumb and unfounded this statement is, and edit your post accordingly

• Locked thread