Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this the beginning of the end of football as we know it?
This poll is closed.
Within the next decade 38 22.35%
Within the next five years 12 7.06%
No, and you're an idiot for thinking so 71 41.76%
Borland himself will return to the sport within two years 49 28.82%
Total: 128 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
*stands up in front of podium with labcoat*

Genletmen.... what if we ptt the helmut... INSIDE THE BRAIN??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
im cool with grown loving adults risking life and limb for piles of money(even though they should get more of it and the NFL should pay billions in expenses to retired players)

but man i really cannot wait for the day that people dont get to make billions off college kids trying to kill each other.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What if we surround the brain with a layer of Nerf foam?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
What if we replace the brain with nerf foam

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Spoeank posted:

Gronk?

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

http://linxias.com

This could probably soon be a thing they utilize. I'm working with a group to get it functionally tested.

It's basically a USB stick that senses impacts and can send the data to a smartphone or pc via Bluetooth. Person gets hit hard, exceeds safe level of deceleration and it alerts coaches to it. Hide it in the helmet of every player.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Spoeank posted:

I think that's the problem

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

I Own Soulz posted:

http://linxias.com

This could probably soon be a thing they utilize. I'm working with a group to get it functionally tested.

It's basically a USB stick that senses impacts and can send the data to a smartphone or pc via Bluetooth. Person gets hit hard, exceeds safe level of deceleration and it alerts coaches to it. Hide it in the helmet of every player.

"The data was inconclusive and the on-field physician cleared them"

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

It also keeps a history of hits, their severity, and a sort of "dosimeter."

It's cool. Not exactly the tool you need to track tau protein buildup or whatever, but it's an interesting idea.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
10 or 15 years ago the NFL would've used that data as "cool stats" in their Big HIts compilation video

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

who do I make the check out
to for this research? HeadSmart Labs??

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Have flashing red LEDs in the helmet that go off once the concussion parameters are met. Also have it tied to a display to act as a second source of verification so they can't say the lights malfunctioned.

The refs are obligated to take a player out of the game when the lights go off while the players make a show of trying to stay in so everyone knows they're tough.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

I'm just waiting for the VR future where athletes go into combat pods and take full neural control of battlebots which play football with the full savagery of creatures who have total disregard for their human form

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

GNU Order posted:

I'm just waiting for the VR future where athletes go into combat pods and take full neural control of battlebots which play football with the full savagery of creatures who have total disregard for their human form

James Harrison still finds a way to destroy someone's mind.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
If Meriweather is still playing I'll buy stock in whatever company is performing battlebot knee replacements

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I think we can safely close this thread. There's unlikely to be any further news about Borland at this point and any chatter about this won't flood N/V

• Locked thread