Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this the beginning of the end of football as we know it?
This poll is closed.
Within the next decade 38 22.35%
Within the next five years 12 7.06%
No, and you're an idiot for thinking so 71 41.76%
Borland himself will return to the sport within two years 49 28.82%
Total: 128 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Also worth mentioning is that boxing was the one major sport to resist massive unification in the middle of the century. There are at any given moment as many as four or five world champs in every weight class. It's hard for the sport to gain massive attention when it's a confusing mess of small organizations doing whatever they want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

AhhYes posted:

I wasn't even able to hop out of a chair with any stability or confidence for that amount of time and I remember thinking, "Jesus, how do guys in football come back to play in a week or two? I'm so hosed up months later."

If you're Ben Roethlisberger you do both

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Keep in mind we also have a relatively America-centric perspective

Boxing in Mexico is still a major sporting event down there. Maybe its because I lived in Julio Caesar Chavez's hometown but it felt like fights were being advertised constantly.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

African AIDS cum posted:

I think you misread what I was trying to say, I meant he had a short time in the league if his tackling form continued like that, I never said he was a bad player and in fact thought he was pretty good. Lots of players recklessly tackle like this and it is a shame to see.

If you're being sincere the steroids thing was pretty hard not to see as trolling though.

It came off a lot like "he is tiny and can only be a real NFL man if he cheats"

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

African AIDS cum posted:

Fullback would be the worst position probably

Is that a lump or loving caveman brow

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

On the topic of training and sparring having a role in brain damage, I remember a lot of people saying Mohammad Ali's issues were not due to boxing per se but rather his insanely brutal sparring he did for training

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

We can break you and cut you and thats part of the game but don't you dare consider leaving early or else there is something wrong with your character

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

go3 posted:

My worry is that the majority of damage is already done long before you ever hit the NFL.

Its a good point

He may already be symptomatic

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I appreciate the first dude being like "a guy retiring early after realizing how dangerous this job is shows how safe the job is"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

*stands up in front of podium with labcoat*

Genletmen.... what if we ptt the helmut... INSIDE THE BRAIN??

• Locked thread