Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Quidam Viator posted:

You see, MY POINT is that this specific quest, the quest to understand how and why your opposition believes and acts as it does is utterly essential to fighting it, and that I don't think we're doing a good enough job. DnD is dismissive as poo poo of non-orthodox views, and aren't willing to step back and understand that the people they're arguing with have something they believe is evidence too! Now, being able to sort through poo poo like "jet fuel can't melt steel beams" and dismiss it is one thing. On the other hand, when they claim the GOP is incompetent, and I respond by saying they own 70% of state legislatures and 38 out of 50 governorships, that's a different piece of evidence. And it means that I may actually have good reason in that case to contend that that's not like Obama winning the last election by a few percentage points; the GOP is eating the DNCs lunch on the state and federal level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq3pe1LWj6w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Vermain posted:

Which particular time period was this? What was different about the political situation and public beliefs of that time period versus today's time period?

oh lol i didn't even see that part hiding in all the rhetorical bushes

i too long for a return to our enlightened intellectual past, when only the most intelligent and respected scholars were permitted to drive political disc-

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Quidam Viator posted:

I'm thinking Walter Cronkite times. You had a three-channel media, and people still read the same newspapers. Vetted, legitimate information was stored in libraries. Access to non-mainstream ideas took real work, and people with weird, out-there ideas were isolated, rather than connected by the internet.

The media consolidation created more unified opinions and for better or for worse, tended to limit the diversity of opinions on world events. The fracturing caused by the explosion of options near the end of Vietnam, Nixon and Watergate, and finally, 24 hour news and the advent of the internet have massively democratized the information ecosystem.

I think it took away a comforting (if possibly misguided) sense that Americans had that old Walter Cronkite was delivering them news they could trust, and not feel fooled or lied to.

I could be wrong, but that's the impression I have gotted of the period.

i think you're overly romanticizing the past. just because there are only a few authoritative sources of information doesn't mean that the information they produce is valid and useful

people did NOT read the same newspapers - it was common to have multiple competing newspapers in this era, each with its own established ideological bias

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
if you're bludgeoning d&d with giant articles that say very little out of respect to a romanticised past discussion forum uh well there's your problem

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Quidam Viator posted:

So, Vermain asked me a question about my thoughts about media in the 50s and 60s. I answered. Everyone isn't just telling me I'm wrong, they're getting nasty about it. Is this just about making GBS threads on me at this point?

Seriously, I have like one person willing to comment on the possibility of finding common ground with others and helping them to overcome their intellectual vices, and everyone else just wants to drop one-liners and attack the messenger?

it's pretty funny someone calling for self-criticism in thought while also just assuming their idyllic version of the past is true, and this is a comedy forum first and foremost sooooo

Quidam Viator posted:

Yeah, I guess I really don't fit in here anymore. It's ok, I get the picture, people. I don't know that there's anything else for me to address here, even, then.

why so serious?

• Locked thread