Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

put your xbox on the carpet and see how fast it goes up in flames.

My SNES was just where ever. didn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

You usually have to place your console near a TV, or some other kind of monitor, so no, I don't remember the placement of the console being insignificant.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
also corded controllers meant you may have had to place it up closer, so no. it always mattered

wavebird was a god send at the time

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dumbass

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Only 90's Kids Will Remember This.

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014
My friend who is a megaslob tends to leave his consoles (PS3, PS4, 360, Dreamcast) and laptop laying around his room wherever is convenient, including carpeting covered in dog hair and couch coated in dirty clothes and they always run fine wherever they're sitting.

It infuriates me because, ironically, my laptops and consoles have always overheated if I simply forgot to sweep and dust thoroughly for a few days.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

still use my wavebird on the wii and its still epic

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
i place my console inside of my rear end and send the video signals directly to my brain

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

They used to make consoles you could kick it down the street and it'd still play good as new. Nowadays your console has to sit aboard a bed of egyptian cotton towels in a room with good vibes. You have to make it dinner and tuck it in at night or it blows up. You have to kiss it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

slipping my tongue into my wii u's disc drive

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Sir John Feelgood posted:

They used to make consoles you could kick it down the street and it'd still play good as new. Nowadays your console has to sit aboard a bed of egyptian cotton towels in a room with good vibes. You have to make it dinner and tuck it in at night or it blows up. You have to kiss it.

I've always done this anyway.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Endorph posted:

slipping my tongue into my wii u's disc drive

I did this to NES cartridges but had to stop after an accident.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Sir John Feelgood posted:

Treat every console like a princess.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Came expecting a topic about living room vs bedroom.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Unguided posted:

Came expecting a topic about living room vs bedroom.

It always mattered. Only by keeping the Nintendo in the living room could we maintain a fragile three way sibling peace.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

consoles that can start fires? brutal as hell if you ask me

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
It's werid when I plug in older consoles now, because no fan comes on so I always wind up checking to see if the power is connected.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

net cafe scandal posted:

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Borsche69 posted:

You usually have to place your console near a TV, or some other kind of monitor, so no, I don't remember the placement of the console being insignificant.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

net cafe scandal posted:

Depends, Daisy is a garbage tier princess and deserves to be thrown out with the loving trash, Peach is unremarkable and easily ignored since she exists solely as a Macguffin and not as an actual member of royalty for 30+ years, where as Rosilina is probably the only real princess among them. There's also Zelda but she switches between queen and princess depending on the game and is therefore a fair weather princess and is very unreliable.

However they all owe their existence to Disney, and even the shittiest of poo poo Disney Princesses outshine even the brightest Videogame one.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

The Taint Reaper posted:

Depends, Daisy is a garbage tier princess and deserves to be thrown out with the loving trash, Peach is unremarkable and easily ignored since she exists solely as a Macguffin and not as an actual member of royalty for 30+ years, where as Rosilina is probably the only real princess among them. There's also Zelda but she switches between queen and princess depending on the game and is therefore a fair weather princess and is very unreliable.

However they all owe their existence to Disney, and even the shittiest of poo poo Disney Princesses outshine even the brightest Videogame one.

Yeah, for sure man.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
taint r... ah gently caress it

Mr.Fahrenheit
Dec 27, 2012

The Taint Reaper posted:

It's werid when I plug in older consoles now, because no fan comes on so I always wind up checking to see if the power is connected.

you should test to see if any firearms within 20 km of you are in working order by testing them on yourself

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

The Taint Reaper posted:

yeah, uh, thanks for the fan fiction about nintendo princesses man.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I encase all of my consoles in Lucite for protection.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

zen death robot posted:

makes it hard to put the games in tho

Encase them with the games then?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

actually no i dont because my mom wouldnt let me put them anywhere but my bedroom

Xaris posted:

also corded controllers meant you may have had to place it up closer, so no. it always mattered

once my roommate wrote a long angry email to nintendo complaining about the length of gamecube controller cables and how we had to rearrange our furniture every time we played smash bros. it was pretty funny, but he only got a canned "thank you for your feedback" response

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Mar 18, 2015

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

zen death robot posted:

I treat the things I spend my money on with care OP. Always have.

an intellivision is the only console that has ever broke on me

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

I said come in! posted:

Also my only victim.

One time my friend's xbox red ringed in the middle of an epic showdown in halo 2. It was 4:19 so he wasn't even mad, it's like his console was an alarm to make sure we blazed properly.

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

SeXReX posted:

Also my only victim.

One time my friend's xbox red ringed in the middle of an epic showdown in halo 2. It was 4:19 so he wasn't even mad, it's like his console was an alarm to make sure we blazed properly.

Haha :2bong:

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

I said come in! posted:

my dreamcast doesn't close right

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

zen death robot posted:

makes it hard to put the games in tho
Games? Playing games on it would only damage the console

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
i played with my xbox 360... lying horizontal, instead of standing vertical

it mattered. op.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

THE PENETRATOR posted:

i played with my xbox 360... lying horizontal, instead of standing vertical

it mattered. op.

the day hitman blood money came out i was so psyched to play it and stuck it in my 360 and promptly knocked it over so it hosed up the disc. i got another one by taking it back to gamestop and gonig my 360 ate it??? it was hosed up!! and i got another

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Who actually ever set it to channel 4?

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

SeXReX posted:

Who actually ever set it to channel 4?

channel 420 here

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
When they put Dreamcasts into those enclosed booths in game stores, they would have to replace them every few months (sometimes weeks). They literally got cooked.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

When they put Dreamcasts into those enclosed booths in game stores, they would have to replace them every few months (sometimes weeks). They literally got cooked.

I remember feeling the plastic case enclosing a display PS3 at EB Games once. It was pretty hot

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
I got a 360 3 years after it came out and it still red ringed after a couple months and would scratch disks if you tilted it while running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Pookum posted:

would scratch disks if you tilted it while running.

what a mystery! clearly your console is faulty!

I got my 360 for Christmas '07. Always kept it laid flat in a dust-free, well ventilated area because I'm not an idiot. Thing still runs quiet as a mouse.

I got my wii the year before that. I was once playing metroid prime with a wired controller while it was standing upright and my roommate tripped over the cord. the entire system tumbled off the three-foot table onto a hard floor and busted the gamecube port panels.

It wasn't phased. i just picked it up and put it back and continued playing lol

Reminds me of an only tangentially related story about indestructible Nintendo products: my friend had a controller that would short his gamecube and shut it off whenever you plug it in. The system wouldn't start with it plugged in either. it was really bizarre, especially considering it was an official gc controller and not some mad catz poo poo.

so we decided to beat the poo poo out of it by throwing it at the solid brick walls of our dorm hall and swing it around by the cord to knock it around the hard floors. we were at it for at least 15 or 20 minutes or so before we finally broke it and even then we only got a small triangular chip out of it. we eventually gave up :mario:

• Locked thread