Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaveP
Apr 25, 2011
While I cannot attest to having tried all the recipes in Tartine Bread, it is a book that drastically changed my approach and love for food.

The basic sourdough bread recipe is and exercise in simplicity and complexity -it's ingredients are straightforward but it's focus on technique and craft made it a real bear to get right. Over the course of six months, every weekend I would try again to make the perfect pair of loaves -1kg flour, 700g water, 15g salt, and most of a day- and they would often turn out sub par: Undercooked inside, improperly shaped, too dense, not dense enough. Sometimes I considered giving up on the task, but then I remembered the incremental gains and insight I was seeing as I made the bread. Eventually, I made some great bread consistently, and I could understand and account for any variables in the process. I wasn't following a recipe, I had learned a craft.

Tartine bread is the book that turned an interest in cooking into a passion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread