Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Apologies in advance if there's a thread for this already- I couldn't find it using search.

I'm an ex-pro cook who is desperately trying to recapture the magic that I was constantly surrounded by when I used to be in the industry. I've had the painful realization recently, however, that so much of what makes great food great isn't a clever ingredient list, but a) techniques and b) prep time. For me, I tend not to have the right types of equipment to make some of the basic things I was accustomed to in a pro kitchen (I'm not talking $2000 stand mixers, but even simple things like coffee filters for making oil infusions etc.). As well, I learned pretty quickly that a some of my favorite dishes tended to have 4-6 components, some of which themselves might have taken a day to prep in and of themselves (I'm looking at you chicken jus and compotes). Having a regular 9-5 is a pretty huge constraint on what I feel like I can reasonably accomplish as an adult, so I'm trying to find some shortcuts to the old magic. And, to that end, I'm interested in filling out my cookbook collection, which at this point is fairly mundane. I'd love to have a thread for people's desert (dessert?) island cookbooks, particularly ones that might be lesser known (those Phaidon books sure look nice, but the reviews are pretty damning). Post your essentials here- I'd love some recommendations for South Indian or Thai!

Plenty/Jerusalem - Yotam Ottolenghi - What hasn't been said about this book? Having a partner who is vegetarian has rendered these two books totally essential. Aside from the fact that they're both beautifully laid out and capture a remarkable diversity of ingredients, one of the best assets of both of these books (Jerusalem in particular) is that there's a very common spice/herb component across the book. At first glance, some of the recipes can be frustrating for the amount of spices they require, but once you get them for one recipe, you'll find that they're applied throughout the books, and in an interesting diversity of methods. The popularity of these books are completely justified- they are fantastic. The instructions for all of these recipes are also extremely well written, and they seem to be tested to death- I've never had a single dish from either of these books come out lacking on the first try.

Egg - Michael Ruhlman - This book changed how I make scrambled eggs, among other things. Ruhlman is fantastic at teaching (or getting you to re-learn) essential techniques. A lot of the recipes in this book are actually highly unimaginative, but the strength of it lies in how precise he is about technique. Despite being associated with Thomas Keller, Ruhlman is a bit more realistic in his expectations of the home cook here, and it's very much appreciated. If you feel like you could use a couple more pointers on how to make the perfect brownie, aioli, or scrambled egg, this is a fantastic reference. More so than most books, it feels like the lessons learned here can be applied well beyond the pages of the book itself.

On Food and Cooking - Harold McGee I can't honestly cite one tangible way this book has improved my cooking. And yet, it feels indispensable. Anyone who has ever flipped through it can attest to its value. Another book that deserved all of the superlatives heaped on it, it feels like it's in a rarefied class with Alice Waters, Julia Child, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I had always flirted with the idea of getting Ratio, but I foolishly assumed the book would basically boil down to "3 parts oil 1 part vinegar". Egg has been so fantastic I guess I don't have a choice.

Thanks for the suggestions so far everyone- how can I say no to a cookbook devoted to dumplings and gyozas? Does anyone know of any good books for imitating the southern Indian food typically found in American restaurants?

• Locked thread