Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive

revdrkevind posted:

Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook. If I could only save one cookbook for the future to know what American cooking is like, it'd be this one. Yeah, fancy niche cookbooks are nice, but what about when you remember at the last minute you have a family event to go to and you absolutely must make cinnamon rolls, or cherry pie? Conversion charts, a good index, this book has it all. Ratio would do this for you too, but sometimes it's nice when a recipe has been idiot-proofed for you.

Yep. I still have my mother's dog-eared, stained BHG on the counter. Nothing flashy, it's just the American menu for the last 100 years or so. Not wonderful, but essential.

I'll add Memories of a Cuban Kitchen. It's the collected recipes of a dying cuisine, primarily that of pre-revolutionary middle/upper class Cuban. Mojo that will strip the paint off walls, and old fashioned escabeche. I couldn't say what in particular about it I find essential, just that the flavors are amazing and it's the one I grab most when I feel like making something that kills. Kills as in taste, not kills as in botulism (though many of the recipes are pre-refridgeration so good luck there).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread