Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
Answering for me and my partner:

1. What is your primary form of transportation - car, motorcycle, bicycle, train, bus, taxi, Uber, Lyft, walking (or other)?
Both Car

2. How many vehicles do you have?

3. For current vehicle owners - did you buy new, buy used, or do you lease?
Both Used

4. What brand vehicle do you drive?
Me: 2005 Honda Civic VP (complete with hand crank windows and doors you unlock with a key!)
Him: 2012 VW Passat

5. For owners - what was the purchase price of your vehicle, and how long have you owned it?
Me: 11,000 -- 6 years, 3 months.
Him: 16,000 -- 2 weeks (replacement for a 2008 Saturn Aura that had 150K miles and needed a couple grand in repairs).

6. How much do you spend annually on transportation (cab, bus, train-fare/payments/insurance/fuel)?
My car is paid off. His payments are $277 a month.
Insurance for both is $1500 a year. Both have two speeding tickets.
Gas -- I budget $160 a month for each. That is worst case scenario, even with gas at $3.50 a gallon, we're looking at $250 or so a month.

7. How much do you spend annually on maintenance for your vehicle?
Last year, probably $500. This year will be more, as I've already replaced the windshield. I also need to get an engine mount fixed, replace water pump, and probably replace tires soon. Will probably drive for another 2-3 years.

8. How far is your commute to work?
30 miles for me. 15 to 25 for him, depending on which office they toss him at for the day. I go South. He goes North and West. There is no good place for us to live.

9. If you do not use public transportation - explain why you do not
I have to be in the office at 7AM. To get to work by 7AM using public transport, I have to drive 2.5 miles to the Park n' Ride, grab a 5:13AM bus, get off downtown, grab a light rail train to it's very last stop, then take a weird private bus to my work campus. The chances of me making it on time are less than 50%. I will do it every once in a great while, usually when there's a ton of snow on the ground.

If I had a later shift, I'd use it more. And I did for a time, when I worked 8:30-5. But the pass costs $176 a month, parking is free and ample at my workplace, and going home during the summer you have to share the train with horrible south suburban yuppies who have no clue about train etiquette going to Rockies games. It's just not worth it unless it's absolutely necessary.

For my partner, it's literally impossible. There is no way to pull it off to get him there at 7AM.

10. If you use public transportation - explain why you do not use a vehicle
I only use when the weather is RIDICULOUSLY bad.

11. What country do you live in?
USA

12. What is your gross annual income?
40k - 45k per year for me, depending on bonuses.
30k for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread