Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

1. What is your primary form of transportation - car, motorcycle, bicycle, train, bus, taxi, Uber, Lyft, walking (or other)?
Car, but I'm getting in the swing of using a bike more.

2. How many vehicles do you have?

3. For current vehicle owners - did you buy new, buy used, or do you lease?
Bought new.

4. What brand vehicle do you drive?
Toyota Camry

5. For owners - what was the purchase price of your vehicle, and how long have you owned it?
$22,500, I believe. I have owned it for 34 months.

6. How much do you spend annually on transportation (cab, bus, train-fare/payments/insurance/fuel)?
$1,100 on insurance, $40 a month on gas, $3600 in payments, plus $100/yr in miscellaneous public transportation = ~$5,300.

7. How much do you spend annually on maintenance for your vehicle?
Typically around or below $100 for basic upkeep.

8. How far is your commute to work?
2 miles each way. In the process of switching to biking to work, but if I know I'll be working late (happens often), I'll take my car because part of my route is in a bad area.

9. If you do not use public transportation - explain why you do not
I used to use public transportation to get to 2 out of the 3 locations where I may work on a given day, since they were very close to the stops. Now I live close enough that the gas expense costs less than a ticket and is a quicker trip to any of them. I bike to the closest one when it's practical to do so, but if I'll be moving between the offices (usually carrying a stack of 24x36 blueprints) it's much less of a headache just to take my car.

10. If you use public transportation - explain why you do not use a vehicle
I use public transportation when it would be faster, safer, or cheaper than taking my car or bike (if there is an accident or the roads are covered in ice).

11. What country do you live in?
USA

12. What is your gross annual income?
~$70,000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I think a lot of people buy new because a) they just don't want the headache of car maintenance and b) we have a lot of higher earners here, so they can afford it without taking on any real financial burden. There's also the fact that the buying slightly used cat is out of the bag and low mileage toyotas and hondas get snapped up at near KBB values these days, or so I hear. I bought new because I needed a car within a tight timeframe and used the time I had to negotiate a good deal rather than pray I come across a viable beater to use in DC traffic.

People are probably shy about posting their incomes because it could potentially open them up to harassment or allow people to track them down. I don't blame 'em. Wouldn't be surprised if someone who posted about their mid-6 figure salary got hit up with the occasional PM asking for a student debt bailout or somesuch.

• Locked thread