Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
< Farrier checking in. That is all.

Feel free to bounce shoeing/trim questions off me, I don't make expert money but after a decade I've seen enough terrible poo poo to know some things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
My horse LOVES getting his feet done, it's almost at a creepy level. He's always been a more people oriented horse than a horse oriented horse but his love for anyone who deals with his feet is extreme and undying.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Why do dogs think that hoof shavings ate the best things ever?

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Cause they smell good and have that perfect texture.

One time while shoeing a horse in a clients driveway with her dog barking at us (for the sweet sweet nector of the gods, aka hoof) I trained the dog to sit, lay down, and shake. Right in front of the owner. In a matter of 20 minutes.

She couldn't believe it.

P.S. Dogs can't really digest it all that well, hence why anything smaller than a shepherd will probably vomit it up right when they get inside a house or car.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i was At The Lake last weekend and there was a horse chillin in the water. welp that's my story

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Watching the Royal Dublin Horse Show and an Irish pair, Bertram Allen (20) on Romanov (17) get two clears in the team showjumping, makes my heart go all fuzzy to see the golden oldies do so well :3:
Look at this gorgeous guy!!

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
My family has two horses, both old creaky quarterhorses in their early 20s. No one rides in my family anymore, so they're basically just big pets. Very big pets. Both of them spoiled rotten, spending their days out in the sun munching on hay and basking the aches in their bones away.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Going to look at another horse to loan this weekend. Hope it goes better than the last one.

He's called Eddie and is 20 years old.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Here's Eddie.

He seems nice, going to try him out for a month - have him for two days a week. He lives out in summer, but comes in overnight in winter.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

He is flipping gorgeous :swoon:

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
Eddie's super handsome. What's he like to ride compared to Tinker?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Very responsive - seems to be more on voice rather than leg aides. Only gave him a quick canter and trot around the ring, but he's nice - quite bouncy gaits, but not difficult to ride if you see what I mean.

He's also really good about picking up his feet for hoof cleaning.

Amaterasu
Aug 7, 2007
Godless Heathen
Fellow horse addict checking in. I've been riding dressage for about 6 years now. In the past year I've been to both the Spanish Riding School and the FEI World Cup in Vegas.

This is Mia. She is a 6 year old Andalusian/QH cross. She has a tiny bit of Thoroughbred in her. She's opinionated but never spooky or stupid. I've had her for 2.5 years.

Picture from when I first bought her, almost 4 years old

Head shot from our last show

Not amused

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Got a bit of that thoroughderp in the lines, but not in the attitude.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

That is one beautiful horse - her fur looks like velvet.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Eddie got kicked by his field - mate. :(

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Mia is also an absolute stunner. She should wear her shark every day :3

Poor Eddie :(

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

teenytinymouse posted:

Mia is also an absolute stunner. She should wear her shark every day :3

Poor Eddie :(

Yes, Mia should wear her shark every day. And yes - it looks bad - not too deep, but it's on a rear leg and has really swollen up. I hope he'll be okay, poor boy.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Angrymog posted:

Eddie got kicked by his field - mate. :(

My horse got kicked in the rear end by another horse and he had a perfect hoof print on his butt with half of a hoof on each cheek :downs:

I'm sure he deserved it, he's the most socially awkward horse ever. It's adorable in a dorky way but sometimes he gets beaten up since he doesn't understand other horses' social cues.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Ed had been bitten on the bum a couple of times, but this was a nasty kick to the leg. He's not lame, but it's not good. :(

From the sound of it he got beaten up by another field-mate and that damaged his confidence when dealing with other horses :(

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Eddie Update

He's moving to another yard which is closer to me. Not ridable atm, but I'm going to see him on Wedsnesday to look around the new yard and give him a groom.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
I rode for the first time today after two months of being in and out of hospital, and holy crap, it's hard to give / avoid giving leg aids, when your legs have been left to turn to jelly :{

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Gotta love when you're almost done for the day but that last horse just wants to run around his stall in circles so you get a nice dust shower.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
Ugh, this thread is the best.

I used to ride horses from 13 to 20. No lessons, just throw a saddle on one and try not to fall off while flying around the trails. We were blessed to live next to hundreds of acres of public land and a lake, plus a couple hundred acres of woods on the farm. I really miss flying around on those trails, dodging briars and spider webs, having cedar trees shed alllllll over me, then hauling rear end through a corn field or around the lake when the water was down. Swimming the horses in the summer and trying not to get shot at by hunters during turkey and deer season. Yeah, we wore hella bright shirts and still had hunters staring at us. Sometimes the lake would flood up almost to the road and we'd take long, slow rides with the water brushing our stirrups. That was the day that I learned horses find a bunch of fish splashing around their legs to be signs of the apocalypse.

Best part of riding in the woods is when you turn a corner and a bunch of turkeys explode out of the bushes and your horse decides that the best course of action is galloping wildly off into the sunset. I got very, very good at grabbing mane and dodging tree trunks that wanted to take out my knees. Also four wheelers are apparently horse-eating death machines. We were totally lucky our horses were decent sorts and didn't just buck us off and vanish. Even the most notorious horse for throwing people would stop and wait for us to remount.

My horse was a crabby old Quarterhorse who would get righteously pissed if the horses in front of him moved too slow...more than once he tried to bite them on the rear end. It took 3 people to bridle him when I got him but after a ton of work and carrots he'd practically shove his head into the bridle and he would try to hold his temper on the trail if I was on him. Anyone else riding him was poo poo out of luck, he didn't give a gently caress since he knew no carrots were coming. Yes, I bribed the hell out of my horse but it saved me and him a ton of grief and probably me a few concussions.

I wish I could ride again but just thinking about some of the poo poo we did back then makes me cringe. Taking lessons would be fun if I wasn't so broke. Please keep posting so I can live vicariously through you all :P

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Eddie's still not healed, and his owner keeps posting borderline Britain First stuff on Facebook, which is making things a bit a awkward. I think if she posts an actual Britain First or EDL (English Defence League) link I'll tell her that the deal's off :(

Anyway, for the past few weeks at the riding school I've been on Millie*,** who is the archetypical Riding School Old Mare - she hates you and will expend more energy trying to short cut maneuvers than if she'd just done the loving circle in the first place. I'm starting to get on with her, but she's an old lady (20 or so) and a bit set in her ways. At the end of last lesson, the instructor swopped us over*** - me on to Tinker and his rider on to Mille. It was interesting how much more comfortable I felt riding him, and was able to put him over a jump with no hesitation; Instructor said that that was due to the work I'd done with him prior to being swopped on to Millie. So I guess it's nice to see that practice does actually pay off.

* Picture to come

**I think that this may be because I share my lesson with one of the staff who also does the booking and she's writing Tinker in for herself.

*** I think this is something that she's been wanting to do for a while, but this was the first lesson in ages that only had school horses in; there'd been private ones in as well all summer

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Another good lesson today - a bit of more technical jumping - worked up to three jumps riding via a serpentine lengthways up and down the school. Was on Tinker the Floofy. His mane was braided because he'd been given a hair cut, and it had gone a bit punk and apparently he's not supposed to be punk. Boo I say. Anarchy in Udimore! Rock the menage!

Next time we do a jumping lesson we're going to be really brave and try with fillers in because that's were my jumping with Tinker started to go wrong.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Dunno if I should put this here or in Big Dogs ( he's a bit of both), but have a happy video of a happy disabled donkey.

https://youtu.be/JNa-8S6zzSo

Don Quixote loves new shavings!

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Suspect Bucket posted:

Dunno if I should put this here or in Big Dogs ( he's a bit of both), but have a happy video of a happy disabled donkey.

https://youtu.be/JNa-8S6zzSo

Don Quixote loves new shavings!

That is a happyy donkey. What's his story?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I'm getting to ride Murphy again. My horsie-bro :)

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

That donkey's flexural limb deformity upsets me.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

A better shot of Murphy than the one I posted way back when. He's muddy because he got brought in just before being tacked up.

It was nice to ride him again, but the lesson wasn't much fun really. My usual instructor was ill, and this was a suprise technical lesson about making the horse move in an outline - making them hold their head and move more like dressage horses.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Angrymog posted:

It was nice to ride him again, but the lesson wasn't much fun really. My usual instructor was ill, and this was a suprise technical lesson about making the horse move in an outline - making them hold their head and move more like dressage horses.

It's not fun, but it all comes together in the end, right? ^^;

I see lots of people buying all kinds of scary-looking bits, or gimmicky products that clip onto the bridle, to try and keep the horse's head down, when the only real problem they have is that they've just never been taught how to ride with light hands, while containing the horse's energy underneath them.

The fact that they mix this stuff in with the jumping is probably a sign of a good riding school. In fact, if they have horses that can move in a proper outline, that's probably an even better indicator :D

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Tyma posted:

It did a bit, but I'm bad at learning physical stuff, so it's the sort of thing that I'd need to do a lot to get down pat. Almost all lesson was at trot and without stirrups which was an additional challenge. I think it's the sort of thing I'd like to book a solo lesson to try and learn properly.

quote:

The fact that they mix this stuff in with the jumping is probably a sign of a good riding school. In fact, if they have horses that can move in a proper outline, that's probably an even better indicator :D
Murphy can, I suspect some of the smaller ponies could. Tinker apparently can't, and I think Millie would object most strongly.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Angrymog posted:

It did a bit, but I'm bad at learning physical stuff, so it's the sort of thing that I'd need to do a lot to get down pat. Almost all lesson was at trot and without stirrups which was an additional challenge. I think it's the sort of thing I'd like to book a solo lesson to try and learn properly.

I find group lessons are actually better for picking up that sort of stuff. In a solo lesson, you're constantly under instruction, and focusing on performing something specific, wheras a group lesson gives you a fair bit of breathing space when the attention isn't on you anymore, and you can just chill out... Or work really loving hard on your fundamentals! :D

I find that if I just jump on a horse and all eyes are on me, I start to alternate between focusing on all of the little things : Proper seat? Rein tension? Heels down? Neck straight? Consistent Strides? Which leg is currently raised? When I'm under pressure like that I'll start to second-guess things like my diagonals, which I should trust myself enough get right the first time, and instead of multi-tasking, my brain will just flip through these things one by one, causing me to focus on something, and then immediately neglect it, as I focus my full attention to checking something else.

In an average group lesson in the UK, there's a good degree of downtime, where someone else is performing a manoeuvre, nobody's looking at me, and I can take the time to compose myself, and work on my fundamentals for a lap or two of the school. I just turn everything off, close my eyes, and start to feel the footfalls, or go into sitting trot, and straighten up my seat. I find that when it's then time for me to take the lead, or perform a manoeuvre, I can turn everything else back on, and ride with a lot more confidence and composure.

I think of a group lesson as half an hour of being mentored by the instructor, and half an hour extra to just ride around in a rectangle, and practice something fundamental the instructor has indicated I should be improving. I much prefer that to an intense half-hour lesson, where I'm constantly under pressure to improve my faults as quickly as possible.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Tyma posted:

In an average group lesson in the UK, there's a good degree of downtime, where someone else is performing a manoeuvre, nobody's looking at me, and I can take the time to compose myself, and work on my fundamentals for a lap or two of the school. I just turn everything off, close my eyes, and start to feel the footfalls, or go into sitting trot, and straighten up my seat. I find that when it's then time for me to take the lead, or perform a manoeuvre, I can turn everything else back on, and ride with a lot more confidence and composure.
The nice thing is that the max number in the lessons at this school are four - sometimes I get them to myself because of the time I have them booked. There were three this time - one girl on her own horse, the staff-member who I normally share my lessons with (she also owns her own, but they're not at the school, so she rides school horses for lessons) and me.

Also their arena is absolutely huge compared to other school arenas I've been in.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Have anyone ever ridden in a US-style lesson? They're um.. terrifying :{

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Trotting without stirrups is good for you, that's why it hurts so much :twisted: I had a bad habit of gripping up so I had to do a lot of work without stirrups. Think of having big weights attached to your heels and put a hand on the saddle when you need to and keep yourself stuck on the saddle, it's not fun for anybody if you're bouncing the whole time.

Murphy is a gorgeous big guy, he has a sassy face!

Tyma posted:

I see lots of people buying all kinds of scary-looking bits, or gimmicky products that clip onto the bridle, to try and keep the horse's head down, when the only real problem they have is that they've just never been taught how to ride with light hands, while containing the horse's energy underneath them.

The odd time my instructor would have used what she called "stretchies" (probably not what they're actually called tbh) that are a bit like loose bungee cord things to help encourage their head down but it was usually only on one big old girl who can go on the bit but if she doesn't wanna then you spend half the lesson arguing with her about it and some of the older lady riders just didn't want the fuss. I was always made to have the argument and it is well worth putting the effort in to get that feel in your hands without aids. She looks like a totally different horse when she's in a nice outline, she goes from a big ploddy dozy mare who has to be chivvied round a circle to picking her feet up and moving like the proper fancy lady she really is :3:

Edit: I left the reply window open a long time there! I agree with you Tyma about group lessons, I like having downtime between turns to settle myself and think about what I'm doing. What are US style lessons like?

teenytinymouse fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 19, 2015

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

teenytinymouse posted:

Think of having big weights attached to your heels and put a hand on the saddle when you need to and keep yourself stuck on the saddle, it's not fun for anybody if you're bouncing the whole time.

Hello, fellow 'Huge Imaginary Weights' user!

Our instructor used to pull out £20 notes, put them in the seat of the saddle, and wager that we couldn't keep the money sitting there, while performing an ever-more-ellaborate set of manoeuvres. I've never seen anyone win the money :{

quote:

What are US style lessons like?

The only one I've ever been in was English Riding, but also kind of like circuit training. Everyone was assigned a corner, half or route around the school, and had 20 minutes to ride around and work on a specific fault or manoeuvre, by repeating it over and over again. The instructor was on horseback, and rode around the school observing the riders and pointing out faults, while her understudies all watched from the gallery.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Tyma posted:

The only one I've ever been in was English Riding, but also kind of like circuit training. Everyone was assigned a corner, half or route around the school, and had 20 minutes to ride around and work on a specific fault or manoeuvre, by repeating it over and over again. The instructor was on horseback, and rode around the school observing the riders and pointing out faults, while her understudies all watched from the gallery.
Oh god, that does sound terrifying.

re: without stirrups, I don't mind it, and I was quite pleased that I could do the whole lesson without getting a stich, again not something I was able to do a couple of months back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Tyma posted:

Hello, fellow 'Huge Imaginary Weights' user!

Our instructor used to pull out £20 notes, put them in the seat of the saddle, and wager that we couldn't keep the money sitting there, while performing an ever-more-ellaborate set of manoeuvres. I've never seen anyone win the money :{

That's a good one! My instructor was always one for imaginary aids, carrying imaginary trays to keep your hands up, having an imaginary pole behind your back to keep your elbows at your sides, imagine you have squeezy sponges in your hands to keep from having too hard a contact etc. I don't think I ever saw her use a real aid for position, she brought out this weird back brace thing that meant you couldn't move your upper arms from your sides but it was purely used as a threat. Which worked very well! :v:

quote:

I don't think I would enjoy that at all myself. I can imagine horses getting bored and frustrated fairly easily as well as the riders. I'd like to know more about american style riding in general tho.

• Locked thread