Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Told her that I wasn't interested in continuing the loan at that yard but to keep me in mind if she changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Last day with Eddie this Sunday :(

Took him out on a hack along the North Downs way last Sunday. He is such a good horse - met some trailbikes when we were still on the unrestricted byway part of the route and had no problems, trotted and cantered him once we were on the bridlepath segment and he was so good. Pulled up immediately when I spotted some walkers and went past them with no issues.

Was very glad I was wearing my motorcycle jacket though - didn't realise just how tall Eddie is (16h) and didn't duck low enough under a branch - without the armouring on my shoulders I think that that branch would have hurt a lot, instead it just glanced off the plate.

Though something I've noticed with horses in general when hacking is that they seem to have a sort of 'comfort radius' - get them too far from home and they become really insistent about wanting to turn back. You have to have a little turning argument with them - horse tries to circle back, you keep them circling until they're facing the way you want to go again. Eddie does it, the pony I looked after when I was a kid did it, the mad Appaloosa at the riding school did it (he was even more extreme - you had to turn him backwards and get him over his boundary line like that, fighting him every step of the way. Once he'd crossed it was fine)

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Nov 20, 2015

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I get to sit on my horse for the first time in almost two years next week :dance:

I'm going to be in so much pain.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I get to sit on my horse for the first time in almost two years next week :dance:

Hope it goes well. If you don't mind answering, why couldn't you ride for a couple of years?

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

RIP your butt!!!! :neckbeard:

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Angrymog posted:

Hope it goes well. If you don't mind answering, why couldn't you ride for a couple of years?

I got him when I was 16, rode him through high school and took him to college with me but then when I graduated I got a job halfway across the country and I couldn't financially support both myself and my horse on an entry level salary, so my mom took him in and has been learning to ride on him :) I could afford to ship him out to where I live now, but he's happy and healthy where he is so it's in his best interest to stay where he is since he's getting to be an old fart (he turns 20 in February). I'm going home for Thanksgiving so I'm going to go visit him as soon as I can after my plane lands.

Taking my horse to college with me sounds like the most upper middle class white person ever thing to do, but it was actually a blessing in disguise since he ended up having some weird medical issues while he was with me at school and my college has a really good vet school that fixed him up.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
I wish I could have taken my horse to college with me. :-( It was a couple years before I even had the resources to bring my cat to college with me though. And my poor old man horse was such an old man that we had to put him down while I was away at college. It was totally heartbreaking for me.

littlebluellama
Jun 18, 2013

I am kind, brave and deserve love.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Taking my horse to college with me sounds like the most upper middle class white person ever thing to do, but it was actually a blessing in disguise since he ended up having some weird medical issues while he was with me at school and my college has a really good vet school that fixed him up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ0s0KUUpxo

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Had a good lesson on Tinker today. Instructor talked us through the basics of turning on the forehand, and then we did a little bit of jumping - put him over a triple jump with no stumbles or crashing through.

ETA - Next time we jump I've asked for fillers to be added as that's where I started to have problems with him

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Nov 27, 2015

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Angrymog posted:

Had a good lesson on Tinker today. Instructor talked us through the basics of turning on the forehand, and then we did a little bit of jumping - put him over a triple jump with no stumbles or crashing through.

By 'triple jump', do you mean a Combination or a Bounce? The Bounce is my nemesis, and a constant reminder that my back is hosed :{

I'm sure it's really bad for your state of mind to actually think about which jumps you hate more than others, but :

Cross > Vertical > Oxer > Joker > Bounce

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Combination I guess - there was a stride between each one.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Back when I was fairly seriously competing we'd do a lot of gymnastics-- trot poles to a cross rail to a vertical to a vertical to an oxer of increasing height with one stride in between. If there are any flaws in your position they'll be glaringly obvious by the end.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
I helped my mum show her mini's yesterday, and I'm rather pleased that our beloved paddock pet Jewel, crushed her paddock mates in the "Classic Head" class, and won first place. Alas, she didn't win classic trot because she trots like a spaz, but we made the judge laugh at least.

and as a bonus, here's her deciding that the grass under the table is the best grass of all time and won't let the table get in her way:

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Congratulations Jewel!!! She is so pretty, I would just pile ribbons on her for general gorgeousness :swoon:

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
o she's cute.. grats on the win, as well.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

teenytinymouse posted:

Congratulations Jewel!!! She is so pretty, I would just pile ribbons on her for general gorgeousness :swoon:

She's the Supreme Champion of our Hearts.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Can you use minis for anything - e.g. driving, or are they just decorative?

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

Angrymog posted:

Mostly decorative, I believe you can use the larger mini's in carts, but it's rare. You can do performance classes, where you run them over jumps, or just general showing. My mum got Mini's to help with her depression and because her shoulder issues means looking after ponies over 10hh is hard.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
Okay so, horse people. I just found out that my mom's horse, Happy (11 year old apha gelding) is being a horrible poo poo. Has been checked by the vet and farrier. He does this with both me and my mom. He has always been in professional training for western pleasure (last 5 years) until about a year ago when mom got sick of showing and the last trainer was honestly, pretty lovely. He started grinding his teeth and getting ulcers. He does not do that anymore, but now he's just awful. My mom is a pretty good rider (several top tens at Paint World), but tends to be a bit nervous.

When ever we ask him to do something faster than a walk he gets mad, braces himself and does the most vertical cramped trot/canter he can do. If I ask him to move out, he just moves up basically. I can't even get the fucker to track up under saddle because he just rounds his back and stars hopping around. He also kind of cranks his head sideways. If I stop him and try to restart he will rear a little.

This is a fairly recent development I guess, within the last few months with just my mom riding him.

I ride with out spurs, my mom rides with them. He does it worse with me maybe because he's not used to me. He does it the same with different bits. He does it every time he is asked to canter unless he is lunged until frothy first. He will also obey if he is Punished Hard but only for a little while (maybe half a lap of the arena) so it's just pointless and cruel imo.

I think he's just being a little poo poo but idk exactly what to do because he won't move out! Usually if a horse got all cramped and crow hoppy I would ask it to move out and then slowly collect back down but this little jerk will NOT move out without a big fight.

My tentative plan: cut his grain in half, try and get him on full day turn out (might not be possible), and see if I can get him to move out by ground driving him so I don't have to play rodeo. After I can get him to move forward then I want to sort of start over with him. Like snaffle bit and all.

Also tempted to say gently caress it and Make Him move out but I'm not as good of a rider as I used to be so i'll probably get pitched.

I dunno, any advice horse peoples?

If I can't fix it in 30 days he's going to go to a different full time trainer than he was with previously.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Have you tried switching up his pads? Maybe his saddle is bothering him. My horse started pulling that poo poo and it turned out that as his body changed shape as he got older his saddle didn't fit well anymore. We got it re-flocked by a saddle fitter to fit his back better and he went back to his normal (mostly) sane self.

You might want to see if sticking a gel or sheepskin pad under the saddle on top of the regular pad makes any sort of a difference.

Edit: the saddle thing helped the second time he did that, the first time it was because he had a huge fuckoff cyst in his head that we had no idea about until it swelled so much it changed the shape of his skull but that's prooooobably not what's going on here.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
I 2nd the pain idea. If he's been a great horse until recently, then yeah, most likely pain. Maybe the last trainer did something that really hurt him? Some people should just not be let around horses and a lot of trainers fall into that category. You might try a chiropractor or equine massage? I would massage my horse after every ride and it not only helped him but it made him a more responsive, trail happy horse. He knew that he would get his massage at the end of every ride and it made a big difference. Routine for the win!

Also, if your mom is no longer showing him and competing with him, cut out the grain almost entirely. Give a small handful as a treat for letting you catch him or saddle him or whatever. Move him to an all grazing and hay diet and I would even make sure that the hay you get him is of lesser quality. 3rd cut is what my family winters over their horses with. The rest of the year, they just graze, no need for any additional feed. They're even severely pasture size restricted in the spring so that they don't get a lot of grass that is too rich. People are WAY too grain happy with their horses and it leads to hyper, crazy horses. Just keep an eye on your horse and make sure he keeps a good weight.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
Third vote here for 'hes in pain' ciukd you get a video of him in every gait, and both collected and extended trot? A physiotherapist should be able to take a quick look at that and tell you if you can consider or rule out joint pain, and it could be as simple as getting him a massage.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I had an equine chiropractor/massage therapist come out for my big guy a few times. He got some acupuncture done a couple times too but the wrappers for the needles sound like peppermint wrappers so he kept trying to eat them.

Then he learned how to fake back pain to get out of work so that stopped pretty quick.

My horse is simultaneously really dumb and way too smart.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Then he learned how to fake back pain to get out of work so that stopped pretty quick.

Mine figured this out too. He got a stone bruise on his frog and I walked him home. Took about 3 hours since we were already almost at our destination when he picked up a nasty rock. We took it slow and I kept a good eye on him to make sure I wasn't further stressing him. After that, he figured out that if he limped at all that I would immediately hop off and hoof & leg check. So he started the limping business more and more and every time I'd hoof check him, he wouldn't show any overheating, bruising or pain reactions. I had him checked by a vet, had the farrier take a really good look at him and started doing all sorts of lineaments and wraps and really babying him. Eventually one of my aunts caught me babying him and told me that he was messing with me and demonstrated by riding him out and back that my horse had learned how to lie. He was way too smart and all too ready to take advantage of my youthful ignorance. I have to admit, this was the start of my respect for that horse. I was just a kid but I definitely got a kick out of his personality.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Been a while since a horsey update.

We did games instead of a normal lesson tonight - races up and down the arena at different paces around poles. Tinker suprisingly agile even at a canter. I wasn't a fan of the event where we had to run up and down then get on the horse though, especially as I was wearing both my bike jacket and my big high-vis jacket for the first run.

Also, my team won. I know it''s about the taking part and all, but my team totally won. :D

Sadly no-one out of the 9 people in the arena (6 riders, 2 helpers and the instructor) thought of doing any filming.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Angrymog posted:

You can do driving with most minis if they aren't literally the 20" useless blobs some morons breed. Most things big horses can do, miniatures can do. It's just scaled down for their size. Minis can even be ridden if the rider is lightweight enough, but most kids will quickly outgrow minis. Show people generally loathe you when you state this because they get real weird about their horses. Not that the person posting in here will (I don't think they will), but I'm sure they know exactly the sort of people I'm talking about.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
Mini people are *WEIRD*.

Now if they were attempting to breed back to a primitive horse that would be totally crazy awesome and I would understand that, but mini people are not doing that. They are making strange, deformed creatures that live in constant pain.

Wouldn't it be so much better to have this instead of one of the current mini monstrosities
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sifrhippus

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I know they were talking about bringing mammoths back by engineering elephant eggs/embryos, I wonder if they could do the same for prehistoric horses.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

To be fair anyone who's really into any one particular type of animal is *WEIRD*, some more so than others.

Horse weirdos in particular give the rest of the normal people who like horses a bad name.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Yeah. I've been thinking about getting a Siamese kitten, but the way the breeders talk about them is totally off-putting.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

To be fair anyone who's really into any one particular type of animal is *WEIRD*, some more so than others.

Horse weirdos in particular give the rest of the normal people who like horses a bad name.

Says the person who got married on her horse

(says the person who's shipped great danes all over the world)

E: Yes and no though. There's weird (MY FUR BABY weird) and "I know way too much about this thing but I'm honestly passionate, just earnest" weird. I'm way more accepting of the second type. The weird mini horse people I've known have definitely been the first type. It always breaks my brain when they get all upset that a mini is on pasture. It's... it's a horse. They do that.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Never said I wasn't a weirdo :colbert:

(we're all weirdos)

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Show people generally loathe you when you state this because they get real weird about their horses. Not that the person posting in here will (I don't think they will), but I'm sure they know exactly the sort of people I'm talking about.

Oh god yes are some Mini people loving weird as hell and shouldn't be involved with horses in general. I mean, I'm a weird horse person but they go to new and exciting levels.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Just before Christmas a friend of my sister's was kicked in the head by a horse and she's still in a coma.

Welp that's my horse story, bye.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Update! She woke up but is still pretty bad. Use caution when horsin.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Glad to hear they woke up. And yeah, horsin' is dangerous - they are after all, powerful and skittish animals.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I have chronic knee, back, and hip injuries from horses. If you spend enough time around them they WILL seriously injure you. It's not a matter of if, but when.

Wear your helmet, kids. Not just any helmet, a properly fitted one. You should be able to put it on and it should be snug enough to move your forehead skin with it when you try to rock it back and forth but not so tight it hurts. :eng101: I actually kept my hair at a specific length the entire time I was riding/competing regularly since I had my helmet fitted with my hair up in it and if it was any longer or shorter than the length I had it at my helmet fitting my helmet wouldn't fit right.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Not sure if this is the proper place for this, and by all means I will delete this post if it's not. But my sister is an absolute awful person and has mistreated and neglected a horse to the point of it almost dying.

It has been taken from her and is now thankfully in better hands. The new caretakers have started a gofundme for him to hopefully nurse him back to health, and sharing this link is all I can do to help as I live 1500 miles away.

http://gofundme.com/fzjqysbw

I remember when he was healthy and in pretty drat good shape, it hurts me to see him in such a condition. :(

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
Did someone say Minis?

So majestic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

RabbitMage posted:

So majestic.

So adorable.