Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dandybrush
Feb 7, 2011
I'm so happy to discover there's a horse thread! I currently share a horse 2 days a week, would love to do more but can't afford it. Part of my deal is weekly lessons, so I've been re-learning how to showjump after mainly focusing on dressage for years. It's lovely to read everyone's stories and commiserate on all the ups and downs that come with the equine addiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dandybrush
Feb 7, 2011
Oops, totally missed that the last post before mine was from March. Happy to help resurrect the thread though.

Angrymog, I hope you get to find some regular riding that works for you. I have been so lucky over the years with sharing and loaning, but I know it can be tough to keep motivated in Winter. I used to have a lovely little Irish horse on full loan, but I completely burned out with stress from work and feeling like I couldn't do him justice. My two days a week share now is a lot more manageable. I deliberately chose a very horsey area to move to to help get back into things, it does sound like you've got some good options and leads where you are too.

dandybrush
Feb 7, 2011

Tyma posted:

I'm currently laid up with a blood disorder, so I haven't ridden in months. The last time I did ride I actually managed to get into a really loving stupid accident that led to me concussing myself by landing on my own helmet.

Since then, I've developed nerve damage in my leg, so it's going to be a long, expensive journey back to being able to ride at a competent level again. I don't know if anyone's interested in reading about that ^^;

Are you still near Kent? Before I fell ill, I was going to make a trip down to England to visit a school a friend is teaching at, and apparently lessons in most parts of England run close to £45 for an hour with a non-BHSI instructor?

Sorry to hear you're unwell Tyma, I hope your road to recovery is smooth. I'd be interested to hear how things go for you. I used to be based in Buckinghamshire, where there is a lot of para and RDA stuff going on, it might be worth getting in touch with some coaches involved with para dressage or RDA groups near you to see if they can help recommend something.

I have found riding lessons without horse hire are in the region of £25-35 with a non-BHSI instructor, and £50+ at riding centres where the hire of the horse is factored in. My current instructor charges £30/hr and offers schoolmaster lessons on her horses for £40. When you say "down to England" does that mean you're up in Scotland or further abroad?

dandybrush
Feb 7, 2011
I hope this works, let me know if you can't see it. It's just a rare picture of my buddy Fonze looking cute. He's nearly 20, knows every trick in the book to avoid work and is a bit bitey. Still love him though :kimchi:

https://twitter.com/clipclopflop/status/800032699784130560?s=09

dandybrush
Feb 7, 2011
Wow, that Muirfield place is awesome, what a great story. I count my blessings with my health and I'm so glad places like that exist. Glad that you're doing better too. Always worth checking around local tack shops to see if anyone is advertising for part-time sharer or riding opportunities, they usually have a wall plastered with ads somewhere, and good place to pick up word of mouth.

Thanks for reposting Fonze so everyone can see him without having to follow my lame Twitter account!

dandybrush
Feb 7, 2011

teenytinymouse posted:

Horse thread lives!!!

Look at this beautiful boy :h:

I still haven't got back riding after a year talking about it, my sister still tells me how all my horse friends are doing tho and it's lovely but also heartbreaking, I know Harvey is getting near retirement and I might not get to fly round the arena with him jumping literally anything that's put in front of him again :(

Once I pass my driving test tho :getin:

Whoooo!

I totally understand those twinges you get when you see/hear what your horsey friends are doing, it's so nice to hear/see them but you get soooo envious at the same time!

I hope Harvey is doing well, Fonze is coming up for 20 and there is a 28 year-old mare at the same yard who is still very active. It's a lot easier to manage older horses now with better options to deal with common issues like arthritis. Fingers crossed he keeps going for you, Fonzie has been helping me get back into jumping but we only jump tiny stuff. Good luck with your driving test!

dandybrush
Feb 7, 2011
Owww, my back hurts. I worked a full day at the stables today, having not done one for a while. I like doing it when I can though, used to be a full-time groom before I got a "proper" job in an office. Don't much enjoy doing straw beds having been spoiled by years of a shavings only yard! Used to get 2-3 stables worth in a barrow mucking out shavings beds but one straw bed is 1-2 barrow loads! It's so satisfying when you get the yard done and everything's clean and the horses are happily munching their dinners. Does anyone else love that moment?

dandybrush
Feb 7, 2011

teenytinymouse posted:

My sister was on Harvey my best boy last weekend for the first time ever in the 18 years we've been at that stables and said he was wonderful :kimchi:

But also :cry: because I miss him. She's used to big horses because she's 5'7" and broad so being on a little fella like the ones I'm used to was apparently really weird lol

I posted him before but here he is again

Aww Harvey! He looks so sweet, how big is he?

dandybrush
Feb 7, 2011
Aww, gee up horse thread!

I am also 5'7" ish and I once rode a 12.2hh driving pony for a while when a friend was getting ready to sell him. It was so much fun, but a massive difference from her other horse I rode, who was 16.3! The biggest horse I've ridden was one of my former boss' advanced dressage horses, he was at least 18hh. I used to only get to sit on him very rarely to warm him down, but it was like getting to drive a supercar crossed with a limousine.

Just got back from working another Saturday at the stables. I'm soooo tempted to go freelance from my current job and pick up being a part-time groom again. Managed to squeeze in a jump lesson and can't believe how I've improved in the last couple of months.

How is everyone else's riding/horses going?

dandybrush
Feb 7, 2011
Merry Christmas horse thread! I spent a fair bit of yesterday putting reindeer antlers and Santa hats on Fonzie and various dogs at the yard and at home. Hope you are all having a happy Christmas/Hannukah/non-denominational holiday and you and your four-legged friends are all cozy and well.

dandybrush
Feb 7, 2011
I put some of my festive Fonzie pics on Imgur for you to enjoy, my parents' dog also snuck in there because he's super cute: http://m.imgur.com/a/n8wJH

dandybrush
Feb 7, 2011
Haha! That's a great pic, the smouldering fury in her eyes! I don't think Fonzie was very impressed with being dressed up, but the other liveries and staff got lots of cute photo ops with the dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dandybrush
Feb 7, 2011
WOOOOO, good to hear from you Tyma!

What a lovely boy, I love a Connie! Not sure what to suggest to help the engine issues, but I see hill work, doing millions of transitions and pole exercises are often recommended to help build up strength behind. Working on leg yielding in and out on a circle to control the shoulders and bring the hind legs more into gear might also stop him dragging himself along on the forehand but I am not an instructor. I also know nothing about showing, it's way more confusing than dressage!

My share horse Fonzie was officially twenty last week. His owner showed me his passport and he got lots of treats, including a new happy mouth bit because he keeps gnawing through them.

• Locked thread