Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
Ugh, this thread is the best.

I used to ride horses from 13 to 20. No lessons, just throw a saddle on one and try not to fall off while flying around the trails. We were blessed to live next to hundreds of acres of public land and a lake, plus a couple hundred acres of woods on the farm. I really miss flying around on those trails, dodging briars and spider webs, having cedar trees shed alllllll over me, then hauling rear end through a corn field or around the lake when the water was down. Swimming the horses in the summer and trying not to get shot at by hunters during turkey and deer season. Yeah, we wore hella bright shirts and still had hunters staring at us. Sometimes the lake would flood up almost to the road and we'd take long, slow rides with the water brushing our stirrups. That was the day that I learned horses find a bunch of fish splashing around their legs to be signs of the apocalypse.

Best part of riding in the woods is when you turn a corner and a bunch of turkeys explode out of the bushes and your horse decides that the best course of action is galloping wildly off into the sunset. I got very, very good at grabbing mane and dodging tree trunks that wanted to take out my knees. Also four wheelers are apparently horse-eating death machines. We were totally lucky our horses were decent sorts and didn't just buck us off and vanish. Even the most notorious horse for throwing people would stop and wait for us to remount.

My horse was a crabby old Quarterhorse who would get righteously pissed if the horses in front of him moved too slow...more than once he tried to bite them on the rear end. It took 3 people to bridle him when I got him but after a ton of work and carrots he'd practically shove his head into the bridle and he would try to hold his temper on the trail if I was on him. Anyone else riding him was poo poo out of luck, he didn't give a gently caress since he knew no carrots were coming. Yes, I bribed the hell out of my horse but it saved me and him a ton of grief and probably me a few concussions.

I wish I could ride again but just thinking about some of the poo poo we did back then makes me cringe. Taking lessons would be fun if I wasn't so broke. Please keep posting so I can live vicariously through you all :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread