Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Tyma posted:

It's not fun, but it all comes together in the end, right? ^^;
It did a bit, but I'm bad at learning physical stuff, so it's the sort of thing that I'd need to do a lot to get down pat. Almost all lesson was at trot and without stirrups which was an additional challenge. I think it's the sort of thing I'd like to book a solo lesson to try and learn properly.

quote:

The fact that they mix this stuff in with the jumping is probably a sign of a good riding school. In fact, if they have horses that can move in a proper outline, that's probably an even better indicator :D
Murphy can, I suspect some of the smaller ponies could. Tinker apparently can't, and I think Millie would object most strongly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Tyma posted:

In an average group lesson in the UK, there's a good degree of downtime, where someone else is performing a manoeuvre, nobody's looking at me, and I can take the time to compose myself, and work on my fundamentals for a lap or two of the school. I just turn everything off, close my eyes, and start to feel the footfalls, or go into sitting trot, and straighten up my seat. I find that when it's then time for me to take the lead, or perform a manoeuvre, I can turn everything else back on, and ride with a lot more confidence and composure.
The nice thing is that the max number in the lessons at this school are four - sometimes I get them to myself because of the time I have them booked. There were three this time - one girl on her own horse, the staff-member who I normally share my lessons with (she also owns her own, but they're not at the school, so she rides school horses for lessons) and me.

Also their arena is absolutely huge compared to other school arenas I've been in.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Tyma posted:

The only one I've ever been in was English Riding, but also kind of like circuit training. Everyone was assigned a corner, half or route around the school, and had 20 minutes to ride around and work on a specific fault or manoeuvre, by repeating it over and over again. The instructor was on horseback, and rode around the school observing the riders and pointing out faults, while her understudies all watched from the gallery.
Oh god, that does sound terrifying.

re: without stirrups, I don't mind it, and I was quite pleased that I could do the whole lesson without getting a stich, again not something I was able to do a couple of months back.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Going to do shopping for my trip tomorrow.

I have gaiters, gloves, and a hat; I'm going to be buying some actual jodphurs (my mum was going to send me her old classic style ones, but I guess she couldn't find them), and a sheepskin saddle pad thing. Any other horsey stuff I should consider? It's going to be about 6 hours of riding a day with a break for lunch.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Well, I'm hoping it's going to be nice and dry, but you've reminded me that dust might be a problem. Will take my motorcycling neck-tube-scarf. (which looks like a baby one of those)

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

And then you have horses like Tinker who get upset when people fall off them and behave oddly the lesson after.

Also, only three more days until I fly out on my holiday!

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Bad luck on the finger. And no, I've never been taught to fall either. I guess Judo or an acrobatics or parkour class might be your best bets for learning something like that.

Tyma posted:

This is just a guess, but are you going to a very cold country, to ride the greatest breed of horse in the world?
Nope. (Hopefully) no more than moderately-warm country to ride a different sort of greatest horse in the world across Mars*

*The Wadi Rum in Jordan

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

It's happening! I'm air side at Heathrow terminal 5. Will hopefully be able to get on wifi and post photos of nice horses before we head into the desert

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Have survived desert. Have terrifying horse videos to share once I am back home.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Did have some horse pictures on the phone rather than the camera so here's a taster.

This horse is called Sadia and was my first mount. I swopped to another one after a day and a bit because I really didn't get on with her.

On our first trot she shied at a big rock, and then bolted across a stony field that also contained large thorn bushes. I stayed on and got her back under control despite losing stirrups and her trying to both buck and rear. But after that we were not friends.

The guide was with me but I didn't have time to tell him that I wasn't happy with cantering back to the group before she was off.

Second horse was still forward going and able to take off like a rocket, but overall a bit saner.

We were worried about them standing in the sun, but they really didn't seem to mind and would often choose to be in the sun even when their tether would let them get to shade. Also they were well watered at lunch.

Will talk about the trip and the guides in detail once back in the UK.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

In case you were wondering, one or two of them had slightly dish shaped faces and held their tails high, but these aren't pedigree arabs. They seemed to have the personality though.

The guides aid that as well as the ones the stable owns they also lease them from poor families as it keeps the horse well looked after and gives the family money.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Poor guy. We had fly problems except for the day we spent going over the mountains

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Still sorting the pictures, but here's some video. Not the best quality due to being taken with a handheld camera rather than something fancy like a Go Pro.

https://youtu.be/U4SCohrGmpI

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Imguur album

http://imgur.com/a/lCvTl

Highlights

Mushroom rock

Bonding moment with horse whilst sharing the emergency apple in the shade of the mushroom rock. Never underestimate the importance of an emergency apple.

The guide's horse with some traditional-style decorations added to her tack.

Petra in the early morning before the rest of the tourists got there. We returned later on foot and it was insanely busy. There are horse carriages that travel at a fair clip up the Siq (the canyon leading to the treasury).

Multi-coloured sand of the Wadi Rum

Guide #2, Abdul, let us ride around bareback in this little sandy river bed.

We started as a full group of 10 with the main guide, Hasheem, who honestly wasn't very good, and I don't think people were having much fun; he was very by the book and seemed to be suscribing to a sort of cargo cult health and safety.

On day 4 we split the group due to one of the vehicles that was transporting the horses back to Petra* breaking down, and I was put with what I shall term the Swiss-Family-Hivemind (4 of them, spoke only swiss and german and spoke constantly to each other) with a chap called Abdul as our guide.

I think that he said he trained Hasheem**, and he was generally a lot more relaxed. Didn't make every change of pace a big deal like Hasheem did, let us canter and gallop as a group (either slow canter in a file or when it was really clear letting us go off at a gallop line abreast) and on the whole was more relaxed and gave the impression of trusting us more as riders.

On the whole Jordan is beautiful, though the desert is a lot more populated than I expected it to be - you can't go more than an hour without seeing either a full bedouin tent or at least a goat herder. There's an awful lot of garbage, which is a shame. In terms of hotels, services and the like - I think that it's a lot like India - go 5 star or resign yourself to arguing about a lot of little details. Our pickup from the airport was shambolic, and on the hotel we stayed in for the last two nights everyone found out that their sheets and pillows weren't super-clean, though only two of us took it up with the management. ****

* Normally we camped with the horses, but we spent night 3 in a hotel in Petra.
** His English wasn't great*** and things like tenses and word order sometimes got lost in translation.
*** Perfectly good for communicating the important stuff to us though
**** I don't think the others stayed in enough hotels to realise that your hotel room not being up to spec is one of the things in life you have an absolute right to complain about and expect to be fixed asap

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Horses were tethered either to metal spikes or just tied to the plants - you can see them in some of the camp pictures. Sometimes you'd wake up in the morning and see that one or two had pulled themselves loose, but they never strayed away from the others.

We had the option of putting up pop up tents in the vinicity of the camp or just finding a nice place to put our sleeping bags. I slept in a tent but with the door open (I don't like not knowing what's going on outside) for all except the last night, where I joined a couple of the others tentless. Also, the Stars! I haven't seen stars like that since India. It makes the night sky where I am look very very sad. Thanks, London. Thlondon.

The support staff seemed to all sleep in the vincinity of the kitchen tent.

The only trotting we really did was when my horse had bouts of wanting to catch up with the others (I let her dawdle in walk because there was no point keeping up with the Swiss-family-hivemind) or a few seconds before breaking into canter when we were in single file. It was either walk or canter/gallop the rest of the time - those things want to run.

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 21, 2015

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Haji posted:

That's looks so wonderful! How beautiful. How hot was it though? How did you stay cool and keep from getting completely burnt?

It was hotter than it was supposed to be for the time of year - up to high 30s in the Wadi Rum, mostly mid 30s everywhere else. As for staying cool and not getting burnt - in my case, very little exposed skin and factor 50 sunblock - other people just lathered on the sunblock. Some people left off their helmets and used scarves or baseball hats, but my insurance wouldn't cover me without one, so I just wrapped a scarf around it to keep the sun off and protect my neck. The scarf around my neck was for both sun protection and to pull up against dust. We also carried a lot of water - 2-3 bottles in saddlebags, refilled at breakfast, lunch and dinner. I also kept an emergency apple with me for a quick sugar and hyrdration boost, which I was very glad off a couple of times.

We had long lunches timed to coincide with it getting really hot.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

teenytinymouse posted:

Angrymog I'm so jealous of your beautiful holiday I'm sick with it :3: I'm glad you had a good time and I know Sadia wasn't nice to you but I think she's very beautiful and she sounds like exactly my kind of girl. What was your other horse friend called? He is very beautiful too :swoon:
I was given several names for Horse #2, none of which I really heard clearly, so I just settled on Horse. She was a good horse though. I am the worst at names.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I don't know what to do about my loan.

Ed is lovely and the loan is cheap, but the yard he's in now is really poo poo (it belongs to a friend of Ed's owner rather than being a proper livery yard), and whilst she (yard owner) seems okay, her other half really freaks me out. He's loud, he's rough with the animals (not cruel, but rough) and I just don't like him. Also, hacking isn't great, and if I want to go to a sand school I'll need to look at hiring one.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Told her that I wasn't interested in continuing the loan at that yard but to keep me in mind if she changes.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Last day with Eddie this Sunday :(

Took him out on a hack along the North Downs way last Sunday. He is such a good horse - met some trailbikes when we were still on the unrestricted byway part of the route and had no problems, trotted and cantered him once we were on the bridlepath segment and he was so good. Pulled up immediately when I spotted some walkers and went past them with no issues.

Was very glad I was wearing my motorcycle jacket though - didn't realise just how tall Eddie is (16h) and didn't duck low enough under a branch - without the armouring on my shoulders I think that that branch would have hurt a lot, instead it just glanced off the plate.

Though something I've noticed with horses in general when hacking is that they seem to have a sort of 'comfort radius' - get them too far from home and they become really insistent about wanting to turn back. You have to have a little turning argument with them - horse tries to circle back, you keep them circling until they're facing the way you want to go again. Eddie does it, the pony I looked after when I was a kid did it, the mad Appaloosa at the riding school did it (he was even more extreme - you had to turn him backwards and get him over his boundary line like that, fighting him every step of the way. Once he'd crossed it was fine)

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Nov 20, 2015

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I get to sit on my horse for the first time in almost two years next week :dance:

I'm going to be in so much pain.

Hope it goes well. If you don't mind answering, why couldn't you ride for a couple of years?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Had a good lesson on Tinker today. Instructor talked us through the basics of turning on the forehand, and then we did a little bit of jumping - put him over a triple jump with no stumbles or crashing through.

ETA - Next time we jump I've asked for fillers to be added as that's where I started to have problems with him

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Nov 27, 2015

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Combination I guess - there was a stride between each one.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Can you use minis for anything - e.g. driving, or are they just decorative?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Been a while since a horsey update.

We did games instead of a normal lesson tonight - races up and down the arena at different paces around poles. Tinker suprisingly agile even at a canter. I wasn't a fan of the event where we had to run up and down then get on the horse though, especially as I was wearing both my bike jacket and my big high-vis jacket for the first run.

Also, my team won. I know it''s about the taking part and all, but my team totally won. :D

Sadly no-one out of the 9 people in the arena (6 riders, 2 helpers and the instructor) thought of doing any filming.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I know they were talking about bringing mammoths back by engineering elephant eggs/embryos, I wonder if they could do the same for prehistoric horses.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Yeah. I've been thinking about getting a Siamese kitten, but the way the breeders talk about them is totally off-putting.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Glad to hear they woke up. And yeah, horsin' is dangerous - they are after all, powerful and skittish animals.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Sorry, I didn't reply Tyma have, you had any luck?

The only thing I can say is that when I came back to riding it took me a while to be able to get the horses really listening again.. even just things like making them walk into corners rather than cut them was a struggle at first. You might need to use a stick if you can't exert enough pressure to get the horse to notice you at all?

I'm looking at loaning this chap: http://www.rehomemyhorse.co.uk/murphy/

17h, shire cross. Old, so hopefully sane when hacking.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Horse thread lives!

I had started riding one of the horses on working livery, which was a challenge - she didn't like corners at all. Her owner took her back onto full livery though.

Now back on Tinker and occasionally Murphy (not the Murphy in my last post - the website forms were too geated towards full loaner and i had no idea how to answer).

Still pondering loan but winter would just be a killer for my enthusiasm.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Tyma posted:

Are you still near Kent? Before I fell ill, I was going to make a trip down to England to visit a school a friend is teaching at, and apparently lessons in most parts of England run close to £45 for an hour with a non-BHSI instructor?

Not that high (at least not here). I'm paying 32.50 for 45 minutes* (includes use of horse); school is BHSI accredited, so guess their instructors are.

* I buy in blocks of 10 and get 1 free lesson, so £325 for 11 lessons.

Sorry to hear you're unwell :(

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I keep having to miss lessons due to work stuff. :(

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Merry Christmas horse thread.

And that's a nice looking horse. :)

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

The school I go to gave out Christmas rosettes.

So I put it on the cat.

As you can see by the laser-eyes, she's less than amused.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Managed to go riding again after almost a month off due to scheduling issues. Tinker still a good horse.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Horses with moustaches (from a quick google search)

All horses have the wispy whisker-like hairs around their noses, some of them grow moustaches, especially in winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

What a lovely looking little horse.

• Locked thread