Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I used to be a warm up rider for an FEI certified dressage trainer, barrel raced on my own, and also did first 30 days training on several horses. I can probably answer some questions, but I don't ride anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
Okay so, horse people. I just found out that my mom's horse, Happy (11 year old apha gelding) is being a horrible poo poo. Has been checked by the vet and farrier. He does this with both me and my mom. He has always been in professional training for western pleasure (last 5 years) until about a year ago when mom got sick of showing and the last trainer was honestly, pretty lovely. He started grinding his teeth and getting ulcers. He does not do that anymore, but now he's just awful. My mom is a pretty good rider (several top tens at Paint World), but tends to be a bit nervous.

When ever we ask him to do something faster than a walk he gets mad, braces himself and does the most vertical cramped trot/canter he can do. If I ask him to move out, he just moves up basically. I can't even get the fucker to track up under saddle because he just rounds his back and stars hopping around. He also kind of cranks his head sideways. If I stop him and try to restart he will rear a little.

This is a fairly recent development I guess, within the last few months with just my mom riding him.

I ride with out spurs, my mom rides with them. He does it worse with me maybe because he's not used to me. He does it the same with different bits. He does it every time he is asked to canter unless he is lunged until frothy first. He will also obey if he is Punished Hard but only for a little while (maybe half a lap of the arena) so it's just pointless and cruel imo.

I think he's just being a little poo poo but idk exactly what to do because he won't move out! Usually if a horse got all cramped and crow hoppy I would ask it to move out and then slowly collect back down but this little jerk will NOT move out without a big fight.

My tentative plan: cut his grain in half, try and get him on full day turn out (might not be possible), and see if I can get him to move out by ground driving him so I don't have to play rodeo. After I can get him to move forward then I want to sort of start over with him. Like snaffle bit and all.

Also tempted to say gently caress it and Make Him move out but I'm not as good of a rider as I used to be so i'll probably get pitched.

I dunno, any advice horse peoples?

If I can't fix it in 30 days he's going to go to a different full time trainer than he was with previously.

• Locked thread