Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
For you crazy peeps that aren't being taught how to fall (OMG that's stupid - I'm sorry), my family made us do this weird stretching exercise before we were ever allowed to ride. I've taken to calling it "falling yoga". Essentially, sit like a frog on the ground and then lean forward and touch your forehead to the ground without lifting your butt off the ground.

I found a picture on the internets! Sit like this kid and then plant your head on the ground without lifting your butt up.

We weren't allowed to ride any horses until we could do this and keep the entire front of our bodies flat to the ground. Every day before we went riding, we had to do this stretch for 10 to 15 minutes. I don't know if it's this particular stretch, but I am drat good at falling. There were a couple other stretches that we had to do, but this was the big one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
That's looks so wonderful! How beautiful. How hot was it though? How did you stay cool and keep from getting completely burnt?

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
I wish I could have taken my horse to college with me. :-( It was a couple years before I even had the resources to bring my cat to college with me though. And my poor old man horse was such an old man that we had to put him down while I was away at college. It was totally heartbreaking for me.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
I 2nd the pain idea. If he's been a great horse until recently, then yeah, most likely pain. Maybe the last trainer did something that really hurt him? Some people should just not be let around horses and a lot of trainers fall into that category. You might try a chiropractor or equine massage? I would massage my horse after every ride and it not only helped him but it made him a more responsive, trail happy horse. He knew that he would get his massage at the end of every ride and it made a big difference. Routine for the win!

Also, if your mom is no longer showing him and competing with him, cut out the grain almost entirely. Give a small handful as a treat for letting you catch him or saddle him or whatever. Move him to an all grazing and hay diet and I would even make sure that the hay you get him is of lesser quality. 3rd cut is what my family winters over their horses with. The rest of the year, they just graze, no need for any additional feed. They're even severely pasture size restricted in the spring so that they don't get a lot of grass that is too rich. People are WAY too grain happy with their horses and it leads to hyper, crazy horses. Just keep an eye on your horse and make sure he keeps a good weight.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Then he learned how to fake back pain to get out of work so that stopped pretty quick.

Mine figured this out too. He got a stone bruise on his frog and I walked him home. Took about 3 hours since we were already almost at our destination when he picked up a nasty rock. We took it slow and I kept a good eye on him to make sure I wasn't further stressing him. After that, he figured out that if he limped at all that I would immediately hop off and hoof & leg check. So he started the limping business more and more and every time I'd hoof check him, he wouldn't show any overheating, bruising or pain reactions. I had him checked by a vet, had the farrier take a really good look at him and started doing all sorts of lineaments and wraps and really babying him. Eventually one of my aunts caught me babying him and told me that he was messing with me and demonstrated by riding him out and back that my horse had learned how to lie. He was way too smart and all too ready to take advantage of my youthful ignorance. I have to admit, this was the start of my respect for that horse. I was just a kid but I definitely got a kick out of his personality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
Mini people are *WEIRD*.

Now if they were attempting to breed back to a primitive horse that would be totally crazy awesome and I would understand that, but mini people are not doing that. They are making strange, deformed creatures that live in constant pain.

Wouldn't it be so much better to have this instead of one of the current mini monstrosities
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sifrhippus

• Locked thread